Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2020 1:48:02 PM EDT
I have a couple of cans in a get home bag that I leave in the jeep along with other essential items (water, protein bars, first aid, clothing and ammo). How long will it last given the summer heat in Michigan hitting 95 or above?

Hojo
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much forever.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ask the folks in Micronesia.  I'd say, at least 60-70 years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just eat it in the fall and replace with new yearly.

Even in MI, your vehicle will get hot enough to degrade it.

And if you eat it in the fall, you'll know what the summer does to it and can adjust.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Its got a shelf life of at least 87 years.

But I love spam, it doesn't make it 87 hours here.

ETA: I keep sardine cans and similar in the Jeep for those (few) occasions I don't make a bag lunch, can't grab a sub or something or otherwise grab a lunch or dinner. By the time I pull something out I'm hungry enough any degradation short of plain rot would be unnoticed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got pre Y2K spam that still tastes fine.

Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its got a shelf life of at least 87 years.

But I love spam, it doesn't make it 87 hours here.

ETA: I keep sardine cans and similar in the Jeep for those (few) occasions I don't make a bag lunch, can't grab a sub or something or otherwise grab a lunch or dinner. By the time I pull something out I'm hungry enough any degradation short of plain rot would be unnoticed.
View Quote

I like the way that you do things.   Seriously.

I keep a cooler in the back of the truck.   Inside the cooler I keep some water bottles, granola bars, a few cans of Spaghetti-o’s, spare batteries, and things like that.    I swap in frozen water bottles every day or so just just to keep the stuff from temperature cycling constantly through the summer heat.   When I get hungry and don’t have anything else then I break out a can of Spaghetti-o’s and eat them out of the can.   When you are hungry, just about anything tastes good.   I have had a couple people nearly gag watching me eat them though.   I don’t understand why.  :)

2Hut8
Link Posted: 8/23/2020 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the little cans of Beanie Weenie, too.  Very filling w/ plenty of carbs, fat, protein, etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Spam cans that lack a pull tab tend to have a much longer shelf life.

In pull tab cans, the crease that makes it easier to open also makes it more prone to leaks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I know this is not GD, but I first read the title as "sperm" not "spam."

It doesn't last long around here.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input, looks like I'll be switching it out in the fall. Won't have any hep eating it, wife says she won't touch the stuff if she has a choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spam cans that lack a pull tab tend to have a much longer shelf life.

In pull tab cans, the crease that makes it easier to open also makes it more prone to leaks.
View Quote

And I have had that happen.  Don't know how, but I no longer keep Spam in my pack.

I try to avoid pull tab cans in general.  Some of my canned food is piled in totes, so I'm a little cautious about it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I read somewhere that long haul truckers in the far north keep cat food as an food emergency supply.  That was they won't nibble on it and and it will be gone if they really need it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think anyone has been alive long enough to see how long it last.    Agree about pull tab cans, I avoid them when possible and I keep a couple of P38s in the truck, one in each bag, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top