Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2019 7:53:27 AM EDT
At the end of the summer last year I bought a Jackson Kilroy kayak, 12' 4" long, sit-inside fishing kayak (although I am not planning on doing any fishing with it).

https://jacksonkayak.com/blog/kayak/kilroy/

Due to health problems, I have not yet had an opportunity to put it into the water, but plan to do so for the first time later this month, so I'm finding that a lot of previously-theoretical questions have suddenly turned into practical questions.

I do not have a garage or shed where I could hang the kayak from the wall or the rafters, so I'm looking for alternative methods for storing it in-between taking it out to the local paddling spots.

Goals include keeping it free from collecting rainwater and free from insects and critters of all types. I'm less concerned about two-legged critters carrying it away (because I'm in a fairly isolated location).

I would also like to store it pretty close to the Honda CR-V with Thule roof racks that I will be using to transport it, because I'd prefer to not have to haul it any distance to get it to/from the car. The CR-V sits outside at the bottom end of an unpaved driveway. With the Thule racks, the kayak is carried in the keel-down orientation, so keeping it on the rack is not an option (because it would collect rain water that way).

I've considered simply keeping it on the ground, inverted, with a tarp below it and wrapped over it (that's how it has been sitting since I bought it) - but I'm not sure that that method is the best way to keep out the water and the critters.

Also, even though the seat and other accessories are removable, I'm thinking that if I have to attach and remove all of those parts and pieces every time I take it on an outing, it's going to become more tedious to deal with it than I'd like, which will reduce how often I use it.

Anyone else facing a similar situation? How do you store your kayak between outings? What has worked for you, and what hasn't?

Here's a photo of the kayak sitting on top of the CR-V (from before I got the Thule roof racks), with the CR-V sitting at the end of my driveway:

Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#1]
For that nice of an investment I'd pay a storage building out. They are fairly cheap payments now. Other option would be to set two post with a shelf to hang it from then tarp it or build a mini roof over it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
For that nice of an investment I'd pay a storage building out. They are fairly cheap payments now. Other option would be to set two post with a shelf to hang it from then tarp it or build a mini roof over it.
View Quote
The two-post/shelf idea is an interesting one, and now you have me doing google image searches for "DIY kayak storage rack"...
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Cover the cockpit to keep critters out, turn it upside down, place it on sawhorses out of the sun.

Look online...there's tons of storage ideas:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
Cover the cockpit to keep critters out, turn it upside down, place it on sawhorses out of the sun.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Tarp_Rack_jpg-1041702.JPG
View Quote
Interesting... My image search also brought up some potential A-frame solutions - it looks like you can get pre-made angle brackets that would make assembly of an A-frame pretty simple.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Upside down on saw horses with a piece of rope or strapping in case the winds get aggressive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Amazon Product
  • Waterproof & Rip Stop Material - This kayak cover is made of sun ray reflecting and waterproof polyester material,which offers excellent weather protection for your kayaks, fishing boat, hobie Pro Angler,wilderness System Radar, rowing shell & paddle board!
  • Easy On And Off For Your Kayaks Makes This Product A Winner - The elastic draw string on it to pull it snug makes this UV resistant canoe cover go on and off easily and stays in place, great investment for preventing bugs and spiders from crawling in and surprising us during water trips.
  • Prolonging The Life & Look Of Your Beloved Kayak - This storage cover is light and easily folded and packed,very durable to prevent sun & snow & rain & dust damage, excellent for any sort of undisturbed storage.

Get a kayak cover, fairly cheap and depending on model tight fitting.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: targetworks] [#7]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07GYPDB9BGet a kayak cover, fairly cheap and depending on model tight fitting.
View Quote
That is interesting - have to figure out the proper size - they have a 12-foot to 13-foot cover, or the larger size cover - I'd like to keep the seat installed, and so maybe the larger cover would be needed to accommodate that.

I'm thinking of building an A-frame, using a pair of swingset brackets like these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swingan-A-Frame-Bracket-Green-Powder-Coating-Set-of-2-SWHWD-ASB-2/301680527

probably with PT lumber, 4" x 4" x 8' legs, and maybe a 4" x 6" x 16' top beam (if I can get one in that size - Home Depot does not seem to carry that size as standard - I could join two 4x6x8 beams to make the top beam, but that would require getting a third A-frame bracket - single brackets are about $45 https://www.homedepot.com/p/A-Frame-Bracket-Green-Powder-Coating-SWHWD-ASB/301101904  while a pair is about $80 - they have a different type of bracket for less: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Swing-N-Slide-Playsets-EZ-A-Frame-Bracket-NE-4467-1/202744958)

And then I'm considering trying a kayak hoist kit to suspend it from the top beam - something like this one for about $20:

https://www.amazon.com/Easy-Rider-Ceiling-Mount-Storage/dp/B00J6ZT52Y

The hoist kit probably needs some work to ensure that the kayak can't slip out of the straps, and maybe also a higher-quality pair of lines and real halyard cleats to tie them off to...

And then probably a partial roof for the A-frame.

This is starting to become quite a project...
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
The kayak cover shows an estimated delivery date of between Aug. 29th and Sept. 20th for me.

Evidently it's being shipped via the "slow boat" (from the Moon)...

That's a non-starter.

I'll look for alternatives.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By targetworks:
The kayak cover shows an estimated delivery date of between Aug. 29th and Sept. 20th for me.

That's a non-starter.

View Quote
There usually a Prime option, just costs more.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 7:49:29 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's a non-starter.

Thanks - it was one dollar more - I placed the order (it's out of stock at Amazon until the 14th, but I can wait that long for it).

I also ordered the swingset A-frame brackets, and will build a 16-foot long A-frame and use a kayak hoist with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2019 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks - it was one dollar more - I placed the order (it's out of stock at Amazon until the 14th, but I can wait that long for it).

I also ordered the swingset A-frame brackets, and will build a 16-foot long A-frame and use a kayak hoist with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That's a non-starter.

Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By VACaver:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/100647/Tarp_Rack_jpg-1041702.JPG
View Quote
Paddling through the chain of lakes up in Antrim County last weekend, I saw someone had repurposed an old swingset into a canoe rack similar to what is pictured above.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#13]
At least a cockpit cover. You don’t want to be looking down the throat of a rapid when you feel something crawling on your leg.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By doublez72:
At least a cockpit cover. You don’t want to be looking down the throat of a rapid when you feel something crawling on your leg.
View Quote
Yeah that would Suck terribly a big King Snake making a meal out of a vienne sausage
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top