Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2018 3:01:37 AM EDT
My state apparently recently started allowing dogs for turkey hunting.
Walk me through how it works? What function does the dog serve?
Does the dog point, or flush? If the dog flushes, do you shoot a turkey in flight?
My dog flushes turkey naturally. He flushed turkeys twice tonight and they flew right over my head, but I wasn't hunting turkey. I've never heard of shooting them in the air.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The method of hunting turkeys with dogs is to:

1.  Find flock
2.  Dog scatters flock
3.  Dog comes back to master and lays quietly while master calls flock back together

When flocks get scattered they'll try to regroup; the hunter quietly calls to lure the scattered birds back to his location.  This is only done during fall/winter; spring turkeys are typically gobblers only.

It requires a very well-trained dog; fiests are popular for turkeys.

Read an article about a guy who was very successful at this; he had trained his dog to scatter, then haul ass back to him, then hide in a little camo sack while he called the flock back together.

When scattering, it's pretty much required to scatter them to all points of the compass.  If they all scatter in one direction they'll regroup, but on that direction.  You want to scatter them all around and then plunk yourself down in the middle of where they were.  Give them 10-15 minutes and you'll start to hear soft clucking; that's the flock trying to get back together.  Decoys can help as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top