Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2018 1:35:12 PM EDT
I am new to hunting, only tagged along a few times.

How do you decide who is shooter that day or for the next bull you see? What systems do you guys use?

I will be bowhunting this year with 2 other guys. I will be up there by myself during the week most of the time unless they can get work off.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
When we elk hunt it could be up to 4 people in the party.  We are never close enough to each other to decide who's shooting.  
When bow or rifle hunting, before light we get out a topo and decide who's working the ridge, who's working the side hills, who's working the hollows.
Try to organize the hunt so when walking the terrain if you jump an elk, you'll drive him into an area with one of your party.
Idaho doesn't have a safety orange clothing rule, but if you have a B tag which is firearm friendly, at the least have a blaze orange camo'd hat and put some florescent trail tape on the back of your jacket.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife always gets to shoot first.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I hunt mostly by myself.  In the past I have always done what 50-140 said.  Either we agree on where we are hunting on a map or by pointing out where we are going to be.  Last group hunt I did we all had radios and we would turn them on if we heard a shot so we could go help out packing out the Elk.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Try to decide who gets the first shot by picking straws or cutting a deck of cards.  Rotate it everyday of the hunt.  Unless children are involved and let them shoot first.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 1:08:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The way we do it, is he who spots it gets first dibs..if he passes on it we normally offer it to who ever is going to be in camp the shortest time, next if its an easy one to approach  it goes to who ever is in the worst shape...never had an issue as most of us have killed enough stuff that it doesn't matter as long as we harvest legal animals humanely....
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I only hunt with one other person... Too many people, IMHO, lends itself to too many chances for someone to "oops" and scare off game. My hunting partner has been at it way longer than me, so he always insists I get/take first shot, so I can have the same thrills he has had. His mindset is, new hunters or folks that haven't had much success go before him.... funny thing is we always get in back-and-forth discussions who is the "shooter'. I should also add that this only occurs when we are traveling to or from a hunting spot, as when we are sitting in blinds or stands, we are far enough apart that only one of us will have a shot. Truth be told, he is usually the "shooter" when traveling from hunting spot to camp.... I hate the way he drives, and since we generally take my truck, I don't want him driving my truck!

Lastly, when we are hunting, it's all about a "we" experience. It really doesn't matter who harvested game that day because we both worked for it, so we both harvested. I am always beyond excited when he takes game, as he is for me. Not to mention, success isn't 100%, so we make it all about the time in the field with each other and comparing notes on what we observed/learned. The only time we will go with others is when we guide for "Hunts for Heroes". Then we make it a little competitive and try to get our hunter to succeed before the other.... yet still work as a team to locate and find game and celebrate the lucky hunter to harvest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Kids go first. Any kid who hasn't downed a big game critter gets pushed to the head of the line among the kids. If my buddy's dad packs in with us, he shoots because he doesn't have a lot of trips left. If it's just my buddy and me....whoever spots it shoots it. The hunts are always more enjoyable than the kills, so you have to determine who needs the validation of the kill the most.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When we elk hunt it could be up to 4 people in the party.  We are never close enough to each other to decide who's shooting.  
When bow or rifle hunting, before light we get out a topo and decide who's working the ridge, who's working the side hills, who's working the hollows.
Try to organize the hunt so when walking the terrain if you jump an elk, you'll drive him into an area with one of your party.
Idaho doesn't have a safety orange clothing rule, but if you have a B tag which is firearm friendly, at the least have a blaze orange camo'd hat and put some florescent trail tape on the back of your jacket.
View Quote
This is how we get down too. If my wife is tagging along, she stays with me and I'll let her do the shooting if the opportunity arises.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I am new to hunting, only tagged along a few times.

How do you decide who is shooter that day or for the next bull you see? What systems do you guys use?

I will be bowhunting this year with 2 other guys. I will be up there by myself during the week most of the time unless they can get work off.
View Quote
If you are calling, just take turns.  Put the shooter 20 yds out in front of the callers.    If you are sitting on a wallow or trail,  you need a different plan.    Highly unlikely anyone will get a shot just walking.

Find a wallow or well used trail.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I hunted with a friend and his 18 year old son in Canada once. We were out together when we saw a big bull moose. The guide turned and asked which one wanted to take it and I said I thought it would be nice if the boy could shoot it. His dad really appreciated that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
The guest shoots first.  I invite someone to hunt with my on my place, they shoot first.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
In my case it is usually my partners who shoot first. That’s what happens when you are the only decent caller...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
For my group, its whoever spots the animal first, gets the shot.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The guy with the weasel gets the first shot.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top