Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 2:38:51 AM EDT
From reviews here, it appears to be a desulfered kerosine, so it would be low odor.

Would it be usable in a small home without putting out much odors?

a walmart near me had a bunch that was discontinued and on clearance, for $4 for 64oz, but it looks like the item isn't even listed in the walmart app anymore, so it is a one off type thing.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have not found a lamp oil that does not put off odors and in my case cause headaches.
I have several brass lamps that are now decorations and I use only LEDs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
In my experience, Lamplight oil does not produce usable heat, nor usable light.

Real A1 Kerosene, and an Aladdin lamp is what you want for actually heating, and  good light output.

A Dietz lantern may be a viable alternative if you are on a budget.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:26:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Dietz lanterns are great with Wally World lamp oil.

TBH, I've got a couple cans of kerosene stored away with a kerosene heater, but I've never burned it in a Dietz, kinda interested to see what it would be like, odor and light wise.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used some of that oil with WT Kirkman lanterns with good results. I wouldn't say there's no odor though. If I lit them in the garage and let them burn in/warm up before moving inside it wasn't too bad for me. There was some odor though, but nothing I minded. They did put off some heat but not huge amounts. I want to say I read somewhere that a typical lamp can put off 1k btu at most? I had 4 burning for a 12 hour test and I could tell there was some added heat but it wasn't gonna run you out of the room that's for sure.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my experience, Lamplight oil does not produce usable heat, nor usable light.

Real A1 Kerosene, and an Aladdin lamp is what you want for actually heating, and  good light output.

A Dietz lantern may be a viable alternative if you are on a budget.
View Quote
Weird. We used Lamplight oil and some cheap lamps as area light during winter storm power outages for a few years and they worked extremely well; in the right place they were sufficient to read by. Guaranteed there were better options but they worked. Some smell when first lighting them or if you didn’t trim the wick properly but we very much enjoyed using them overall.

We also used tea candles in places like the bathroom; placed near the mirror a couple of them would be sufficient light for a few hours and we had weeks worth of them in a few bulk packs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I just turned off several lanterns and lamps I had going with medallion oil.  It doesn’t smell bad if you let them burn outside for the first 5 minutes.  You will detect the odor, though.

I can read just fine with two $10 hardware table lamps burning next to me.

I despise electric light.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I should mention, to me the medallion gives you a larger margin of error with cheap burners.  With nice stuff, or cheap stuff tweaked right, kerosene is also low odor once hot.  But if a lamp is not in good shape, kerosene will stink far more. Particularly on initial lighting of the device.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
people still use lamp oil?

and they're not mennonites?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:08:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just turned off several lanterns and lamps I had going with medallion oil.  It doesn’t smell bad if you let them burn outside for the first 5 minutes.  You will detect the odor, though.

View Quote
do you send emails with stone tablets too?

I mean, i know some luddites... or thought I did, but hating electric light?

are you going to start writing manifestos about the social dangers of technology from a cabin in the woods? do we need to worry about you?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

are you going to start writing manifestos about the social dangers of technology from a cabin in the woods? do we need to worry about you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work in IT. From home.  By the end of the day I want nothing to do with light, screens, technology, or humans.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have tons of eneloops, led flashlights, etc. now.

before they become common, I used oil lanterns for backup lighting. now, it's just for ambiance, but it's still useful as a backup source of lighting, if needed.

btw, thanks for the replies....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top