Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2022 10:01:31 PM EDT
Task is to haul 18 ton of 2” gravel from 2280’ asl to 2600’ asl up a half mile logging road.  

How much wear and tear would 36 trips put on a kubota rtx 1140 ?  Totally destroy it?  Just some minor scuffs in dump bed?

Should I just rent a skid steer or other?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the logging roads free of logs?

If so, an 18-24" change of immediate Elevation will be an issue.

Cleared of logs, no no pour the rock,  rent the skid to spread. Be 100% faster than the tractor if you can drive a skid.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's within the specs of cargo bed capacity. 12% grade is pushing it but take it easy and guage how well it's handling the load. You may have to lighten up the loads and make more trips.

If the road is really rough I would plan to take lighter loads from the start.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#3]
No logs.  No ruts.  Other than a couple water breaks cut too deep a normal sedan would have no trouble when it’s dry.  It’s just steep and narrow.  

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that is called: Biting off more than a kubota can chew...
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I think that would be hell on the clutch and belt. I take it your having the gravel delivered. Barrow a tractor or rent a tractor with a box blade and dump at the top and work it down hill.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You plan to shovel 18 tons of gravel into a 36” high bed then haul it up a road and spread it?

I’m gonna need a beer, a chair, and an umbrella.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You plan to shovel 18 tons of gravel into a 36” high bed then haul it up a road and spread it?

I’m gonna need a beer, a chair, and an umbrella.

View Quote

I think you might need a cooler and multiple beers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
no, i have a mini excavator, 24" bucket and 6 way blade, so i'll have a bucket or two of gravel in the dump bed before you even get your beer opened.   and when the gravel is all up there, the blade will make very quick work of spreading it.    i just need a more efficient way to get it up the hill.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I tried it today.  Put 3 buckets from the excavator into the dump bed then ran it up the mountain and dumped it.  Did 5 loads.  Other than scratching up the bed pretty good and having little gravel caught in the tailgate hinge it seemed to work pretty well.  No issues with the steep climb loaded.  And the dump bed had way more power than needed to dump a bed full of gravel.  
Pretty impressed with utility overall
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah I think that would be hell on the clutch and belt. I take it your having the gravel delivered.
View Quote

RTVs don't have a clutch and belt. It's a hydrostat and they're pretty resilient.

I assume the reason he's not having it dumped at the top of the hill is because a truck can't get up there.

Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

RTVs don't have a clutch and belt. It's a hydrostat and they're pretty resilient.

I assume the reason he's not having it dumped at the top of the hill is because a truck can't get up there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah I think that would be hell on the clutch and belt. I take it your having the gravel delivered.

Cool I didn’t know that. But that explains why you almost face plant the windshield when people let off the accelerator. I wonder if OP could install some air bags to help keep the rear springs from breaking down? We carry a portable gas power air compressor in our gator HPX and it’s on it’s second set of springs. I’ve been contemplating adding air bags to it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Your RTV will handle it fine.

Bed liner the bed if you’re worried about scratches.

While flat here, I’ve hauled who knows how many tons of gravel, firewood, etc. in my rtv.  And mine is a 2012 RTV 900xt.

They’re tractors in side by side frames.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 3:49:46 PM EDT
[#13]
yep, zero chance of getting a real dump truck anywhere near there.  
definitely not worried about scratches, just don't want it to rust out or something later.  i guess i'll throw some paint on it or something.

did 22 loads.  10 loads takes 2 hours.  then it takes an hour for me to drive the mini ex up the hill and spread it and back.  i think i've got 4 more loads to get it where i want for the base of 2", then i'll order a load of the fine stuff.  crusher run i think they call it?   and do it all over.

i think the only damage has been a couple dents.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The road to my place is 280' in elevation , the road is a little under a 1/2 mile long. I had a guy up taken some trees down. When he was done I asked how people get gravel up here. He told me he could get it up with his tandem dump. He brought up 3 loads to my amazement. He did have to dump some out along the road to make it up. On the 3rd load the truck blew something & water was coming from somewhere under the hood. He limped back down & fixed it a few weeks later. To this day I still wouldn't believe anyone could do it till I saw him do it. I put my truck in 4wd to get up the last half of the road.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I’ve seen dudes put those rtvs through way worse . The hydraulic transmission is really resilient

Let er rip!

Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell, I’d just call the quarry and get them to deliver.

Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hell, I’d just call the quarry and get them to deliver.

View Quote

If you read the thread he IS getting it delivered. They just can't get a truck up the road to the top. Unless quarries have started delivering with helicopters now?
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty much finished with the big gravel (several more loads since these pics though).  Here are some random pics, including the little piles from the dump bed before being spread, and loading from the big dump truck pile at the bottom.  Having 200 hour service done on the rtv this tomorrow so we will find out if I did any damage.  

Kinda hard to see the elevation changes in the pic but there’s about a 40 yard long strip of gravel with dueling tree target at end and then to the right is a pad for the pavilion I’m building and it sits up about 4’ above the shooting lane.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top