Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2018 9:12:04 PM EDT
I was trimming the list of DMR users in MA, looking for people I know to add to my GD-77 when I stumbled upon someone that I know died in 2016. FCC ULS still lists him as active. I find no method of notifying the FCC or DMR-Marc of the SK short of calling or writing a letter (I'm not about to do either one). FCC has no "contact us" Email for general issues that I could find. I wanted to include the URL for his obituary so that they know the message is for real.

His Brother lives in my town and graduated high school with me, so when his older Brother died I had remembered seeing the obituary.

Anyone know how to contact FCC via Email to let them know? [And no, I'm happy with my assigned Call, so I have no motive in doing this.]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SK reporting
View Quote
The ARRL link gives you a link on the FCC website but no online form there. In fact it asks you to log in to ULS with your FRN/pwd and then you can cancel your own License. I see no way to cancel someone else's license there. ARRL will publish it in QST but I don't see that that links to the FCC ULS site in any way, so the license would still be active.

I may just leave this alone as I've only run into his Brother at the USPO maybe 4 or 5 times ever since we graduated high school (over 50 yrs ago).
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Here’s another link that describes how to notify FCC. It is fairly straight forward.

Canceling a License

My Dad is an SK whose license is good for 2 more years. I think I will just let it ride.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think the FCC cares whether a licensee in their database has become a silent key.  It would just be extra work for them to keep up the records of who has passed, and for what benefit?  Why spend the manpower/money to delete the SKs?  It doesn't hurt anything having them there.  They can be automatically deleted upon expiration of the license and grace period at little to no cost.

I had to send a signed letter to the FCC via USPS to let them know my dad had passed in order for my son to apply for his old call before the call was released to the general public.  My son applied for my dad's 2x1 call and received it right away in a very smooth process.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey @LenS nice to see you over here. Might want to try Marek Katzubal at the Clay Center in Brookline. He’s knowledgeable and approachable and likely has the answer. He’s active in the local ARRL chapter as well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey @LenS nice to see you over here. Might want to try Marek Katzubal at the Clay Center in Brookline. He's knowledgeable and approachable and likely has the answer. He's active in the local ARRL chapter as well.
View Quote
Well you can blame Scouter-Rick for my becoming a Ham (finally).  As president of Mansfield F&G (as well as my NRA TC), he offered to teach the licensing class last Winter.

I never get over to Brookline and since the Brother I graduated HS with isn't a very friendly person, I think that I'll just leave this alone. I did get pointers to writing FCC, but I never write letters these days, just Email/forum posts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless someone is looking to pick up the callsign, I don't see any reason to notify them.

Or if it is a highly sought after callsign and you want to free it up for someone else to grab it that would be good too.

Bill
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Unless someone is looking to pick up the callsign, I don't see any reason to notify them.

Or if it is a highly sought after callsign and you want to free it up for someone else to grab it that would be good too.

Bill
View Quote
This is certainly a good reason to notify them.
The license is good for 10 years so, obviously, it is possible that that callsign is tied up for 10 years by someone that is SK.
And, you never know if someone else might want it.

I have notified the ARRL of a SK but never tried with the FCC.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 9:22:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Notifying DMR-MARC of anything is or has been a waste of time from my attempts.

There is a ham in the Boise area, ( an absolute pain in the ass) who somehow through various manipulations of his name obtained (5) DMR ID's.
Not an ID and a repeater ID, but (5) separate ID's.
I have tried several times to let them know about that, but sending them a complaint has resulted in no response at all.

Recently, as in the last week, the Brandmeister group in Europe has taken over the issuing of DMR numbers so you might contact them about your concern.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top