Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2022 3:54:32 PM EDT
Anyone have one?   What model tent and stove?   I'm looking for something to take with the kids this winter.  Will either be with the truck or towed in on a snowmobile.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Arctic Oven
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a big fat one, but not a light weight one.

Tag to see others more compact setups.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Thoughtcrime:
I have a big fat one, but not a light weight one.

Tag to see others more compact setups.
View Quote

I'm not sure what exactly I'm going for.  I'll probably either be lugging it in by truck or snowmobile.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Reenactment wedge.  Pyramid, and Snowtrekker.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Arctic Oven are great but heavy and more complicated to set up.  Good if you have a way to haul them and aren't setting up every night.  Snowtrekker about the ultimate for light weight and easy setup.  I carry my snowtekker on sled dog trips.  The wedge and pyramid are too heavy.  Both Arctic oven and Snowtrekker are expensive but to me well worth the extra if they fit your style of camping.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kskvetski] [#6]
Always underestimate the amount of people stated that it can hold. If it says it holds 6 expect it to hold 3. That’s because one person taken off for the stove and a few extra for your backpacks and sleeping gear.

Everyone will always have some gear.

Cloth tents are more durable than these ultralight ones. The biggest issue I see is the ultra lite tents burn through with the ash coming out of the chimney.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out the offerings from Montana Canvas.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Kskvetski:
Always underestimate the amount of people stated that it can hold. If it says it holds 6 expect it to hold 3. That's because one person taken off for the stove and a few extra for your backpacks and sleeping gear.

Everyone will always have some gear.

Cloth tents are more durable than these ultralight ones. The biggest issue I see is the ultra lite tents burn through with the ash coming out of the chimney.
View Quote
canvas tents are best for hot tents other than Arctic Oven. Snowtrekker is a excellent light weight canvas tent but well worth the price.  Your stove will take mu a lot of space so you need a much larger tent than for summer camping.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I seldom camp in the summer.  My camping season runs from September till April.  Most of the time with 6 to  10 sled dogs so I want good light weight equipment.  Have camped to -45f.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
We have used canvas wall tents forever for camping/hunting tents.

We fit 4 across in a 10x12 and some of our gear inside with the woodstove.
Also have to put a tarp over the top to help keep the rain out even with the treaterment. We have a 12oz tent.

I am try to go with a hot tents cheaper than arctic oven.
Finding trees on the tundra is very hard.
We do bring a 2x4 with us as a ridge pole but you can only fit so much stuff in a 18ft boat.

Currently looking at seek tipi and various ice fishing tents that we will have a stove jack sewn in.

Finnish have a very nice tent but will not export it to the US.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:02:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pikachu] [#12]
I ended up with the 6 person tipi from seek outside mostly due to it being relatively lightweight at 18lbs as I'm hiking in or using a polk sled with snow. It is fine for 1-2 people and gear.

https://seekoutside.com/

The Russian bear tents look cool, just heavy as fuck like 75+lbs but may suit your needs if you dont need lightweight using a truck and or snowmobile.

https://hot-tent.com/

-P
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pikachu:
I ended up with the 6 person tipi from seek outside mostly due to it being relatively lightweight at 18lbs as I'm hiking in or using a polk sled with snow. It is fine for 1-2 people and gear.

https://seekoutside.com/

The Russian bear tents look cool, just heavy as fuck like 75+lbs but may suit your needs if you dont need lightweight using a truck and or snowmobile.

https://hot-tent.com/

-P
View Quote

Yeah.  I guess I need to decide if I want to get something cheap that isn't perfect to try, or bite the bullet and spend the money.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Martlet:

Yeah.  I guess I need to decide if I want to get something cheap that isn't perfect to try, or bite the bullet and spend the money.
View Quote

Before I got the tipi, it was just a ground tarp, sleeping bag bivy sack under the stars for years

If you end up going the canvas route would highly recommend a white tarp over it.  I spent 2 weeks elk hunting in MT and was glad for that tarp over the canvas when the rain set in for sure and white let's decent light in during the day.

Good luck!

-P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top