Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2020 10:26:00 AM EDT
Anyone hunt with this bullet?  My 30-06 loves this round like one hole at 100 yard.  I know it’s for long range hunting but I would like someone’s opinion of the bullet before I hunt with it.  

P.s.  Deer and black bear
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I use it.
Black box precision hunter is pretty much the best hunting ammo Ive found. Great accuracy and knockdown of deer for me.
I run it through a Sako and a Savage 308
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#2]
My research indicates it is for ALL ranges of hunting, not just long-range.  

It looks like federal made terminal ascent as their verison of this. Something to perform at all practical hunting distances, over a wide range of velocities.

Now someone will be lalong o tell me I a wrong, but if it shoots that well out of your rifle, I would hunt with it confidently.  Those bullets have proven themselves as pretty darn good performers on game.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't used it personally, but I have had nothing but great success with anything Hornady offers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2020 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys I’ll find it cheap and stack it deep
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady Precision Hunter is loaded with their ELD-X bullet.  It's biggest claims to fame are a very streamlined profile (Extremely high ballistic coefficient) for  reduced velocity loss over long range, and a polymer tip that resists heat deformation during flight....

None of that means its a "superior" hunting bullet.  It isn't tougher, or deeper penetrating, or  bonded, or anything else.  The ELD-X is designed to FLY better than other bullets, with less drag.  Period.

With that said, I just dropped close to $300 and bought an entire case of 6.5 Creedmoor Precision Hunter.  Why?  Because its super accurate in my rifle.  My 20" 6.5 has an average velocity of about 2588 fps.  That's fairly sedate.  These speeds, at any range from powder burn to 'this is too far to shoot", are mild and won't tax the bullet too hard.  The relatively plain Jane jacket and core construction will open decently, and get the job done on deer.  Thus far I've only take one deer with this load.  It was lethal.  My deer ran about 30 yards and dropped to a heart/lung shot.

if you will be using a fast rifle/cartridge, the ELDX may not be optimal at short range.  A 300 mag of some flavor and the ELDX at 50 yards would not be something I'd want to use.  I'd want a harder bullet.  In addition, these ELDX in many calibers seem to perform like regular cup and core bullets on big game.  Probably not my first choice for moose or big critters...

If you are hunting deer, at any reasonable range, in any reasonable caliber (260/6.5 through to non mag .30's) ELDX in the Precision Hunter will work well.  Just be advised...  What you  are buying is accuracy (in my opinion), not some sort of mystical magical terminal performance.

In your 30-06, the Precision Hunter load is a 178 ELD X.  That load is rated for a muzzle velocity of 2750.  Thats fairly plain Jane vanilla, speed wise.  This load should work wonderfully on any whitetail or black bear ever made.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Great round! My rifle shoots sub MOA with it. The last deer I shot ripped out a considerable chunk of backstrap when my follow up shot hit the spine. My fault. I should have made a better first shot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Shoots sub MOA out of my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 cm.

Have only shot one 1 deer with the load so far, a doe at 105 yards.  Vaporized 75% of the heart.  She went maybe 20 yards.

Looking forward to using the same gun/load in 5-6 weeks for my antelope tag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Same as above.  My 6.5 Creed Rouger Predator loves this round.  Have taken 6 deer over last 2 hrs with it.  From 40yds to 400yds.   Seems the longer shots are drop in tracks and shorter shots go about 15-20yds
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#10]
6 deer in 2 hours?  Sounds like an awfully busy August deer hunt!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
6 deer in 2 hours?  Sounds like an awfully busy August deer hunt!!!
View Quote

Haven't visited this thread in a while.

Yeah 6 deer in 2 hrs is getting it done.

Supposed to be 2 yrs
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I went on my first hunt a couple weeks ago. Me and a friends dad both filled our tags, used the same rifle with hornady precision hunter in a savage (dont remember model) 6.5cm on coues whitetail at about 90 yards.

The bullets were absolutely catastrophic and we both lost a good amount of meat because of the damage. My friend and his dad both said it was uncommon for all the bloodshot we had, they said theyd never seen anything like it and have been hunting a looong time.

Unsure if its the bullet design, distance or what, but we are both hesitant to use that ammo again after that. YMMV, just my experience.
Link Posted: 11/7/2020 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Dad 6.5 CM
Brother 6.5 CM
Sisters hubby 3006
Son 3006
Daughter 308
Me 300 WM

We have been dropping deer in their tracks with these rounds now for, 3 years?

Like said above, they shoot sub MOA in everything we have.

No tracking involved. Shot about 4 minutes apart, my sons deer was about 250 yards, daughters was about 180. We have all the rifles zeroed at 200. Except my 300, it's zeroed at 250.

Attachment Attached File

I'm on overwatch currently

Attachment Attached File

Visitors this AM

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I got my sisters hubby on his 1st MN White tail. I guess they at a tad bigger then a TX deer. 150 yrs shot the Hornady round killed it dead..

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice job
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have been dropping deer in their tracks with these rounds now for, 3 years?

Like said above, they shoot sub MOA in everything we have.
View Quote

I've had the same experience.  I haven't owned one gun that didn't easily shoot sub-MOA with the ELD-X rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top