Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That range is amazing do whatever you need to do to keep that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Took the 2x4's down between kitchen and what will be the living room. The picture doesn't do it justice, but it REALLY opens up the space...

After
Attachment Attached File

Before

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Have a long way to go, but tinkered in the shop some today....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My guess will be the cost. It isnt as cheap as peg board and it takes more time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why in the world would she be pissed about that?  It's neat and it works, and spiders can't nest behind it.  (a big deal on an old property.)

My guess will be the cost. It isnt as cheap as peg board and it takes more time.

Her heated indoor parking space is now a wood shop
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Well....

I ordered it today. Should be in sometime in March....

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of minor things happening in the house right now. Moving walls, fixing Gas lines, electrical issues, plumbing and such. Not much to actually see. We have a Temp 100 Gallon Propane tank at the moment, waiting for the Gas lines to be replaced to set the 1000 gal tank. Have run out of gas twice now, always on the nights it dips down into the 20's....  Have a call in to Piedmont Gas to see if it's feasible to run Natural gas down to us, hoping it will be.  Insulation should be in this week, that will be a Godsend. Blowing through $350-400 a month in gas bills to heat the place.

Put the down payment down for my Tracked Skid Steer with Mulcher earlier this month. It should be delivered late March, early April. Have some big plan's for that. Purchased a 15 Chevy 3500 yesterday to haul it. The truck had some minor issues so I should be picking it up on Friday. Have one bathroom downstairs that semi works. It has a toilet, that's it. That will be the Master Bathroom mind you. Everything else has been ripped out and being updated. Kitchen is usable, but about to be completely ripped out. We took two walls down to add to the open concept and will have a 6 seat island with sink. Ripped out the one half bath down stairs to add an area for Stand up refrigerator and a stand up freezer. Moved the Laundry room out of the Master Bath to a pantry area. Built in a Half Bath to replace the one we tore out, waiting on plumbers to finish up so we can place a commode and sink. Adding an office downstairs also. Then there are the built ins that are being made... Entertainment area, Bookshelves/Library, Corner Fireplace, Dining room Hutch and last but not least a serving bar near dining room..... They also just framed up the foundation for the new addition, Master closet. The Master Closet was a 3x7 foot standard closet with tri-fold doors. The addition will be 12 x 16 walk in... That will be tied into the existing roof line when we reroof the house.  

Upstairs is complete. Upstairs are kids rooms.  Converted an "exercise room" to a bedroom by moving a couple walls a few feet and adding a closet and 2 windows. It connects to a bathroom that has now become a Jack and Jill bath, it connects to the other boys bedroom that was just a huge open space in the center of the upstairs. We added a closet and 1 wall to enclose a bedroom and made a hallway to access a game room. The game room was open and we added a wall, to make our daughter a walk in closet. We then added a shower to the bathroom above the garage to give her a full bathroom to herself. She has the largest bedroom in the house, its probably 15 x 25? Updated the stairs coming from her room to the first floor (IE: Made to code.)

Our Contractor has been awesome. He and his crew have worked with us and been very considerate to my wife and kids. We homeschool so they work during school. Also, we are living in the house as the work is being done. They clean up everything every day and even help with stuff that has nothing to do with the work that needs to be done. Hell, Mrs. NCUrk was making cookies for Christmas and one of them made a comment about liking Oatmeal cookies so Mrs. NCUrk made a special batch for them. After the first week, one of the guys asked if he could bring his Lab over. Well, one thing led to another and now we usually have 4 sometimes 5 pack of dogs when they are working.  Jeromy (Contractor) has found SOOO many things wrong with this house and has taken it in stride. Along with the subtle last minute changes that come with renovations.

Anyway... Life is good, progress is being made, just not a lot that can be seen.

Stay tuned

Looking forward to the renovation being done, then I can retire from the FD and concentrate on starting the tree mulching business.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:16:43 PM EDT
[#9]
That's quite the update OP. Can't wait to see some more photos
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Wife sent me this a few minutes ago. Insulation going in. She is happy, as is my wallet...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Surprise!!!

I think I said something about the upstairs shower had a leak in a pipe... Well, turns out the entire shower pan was broken.

So now the shower had been torn out and being redone. This is in the Jack and Jill bath upstairs.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

On a good note. The boys  Birthday present finally arrived. Ordered it in October.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you caught the leak in the bathroom before too much rot and damage set in.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:00:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like you caught the leak in the bathroom before too much rot and damage set in.
View Quote

Looking at the positives...
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Small town Saturday night....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 11:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for keeping us up to date! it's been a fascinating read.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The Boys shower has been grouted. (sp?)

Will put up a temp shower curtain until the new glass door arrives.
Attachment Attached File

Mrs. NCUrk now has insulation in the studs to her office. Sheetrock is scheduled to be delivered Monday. Hopefully the place will start looking like a house and not a construction zone soon....
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#18]
LOL the chandelier in front of the insulation adds much ambiance..
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:12:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Why put insulation on interior walls? Sound deadening?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
LOL the chandelier in front of the insulation adds much ambiance..
View Quote

I was supposed to pull that and put it in the dumpster...
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why put insulation on interior walls? Sound deadening?
View Quote

Yes. Wife wants to be able to go into her office shut the door and not hear the kids...
She has also requested a Lock for the door, A wine cooler and an escape trunk through the foundation... I'm not sure about the wine cooler.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes. Wife wants to be able to go into her office shut the door and not hear the kids...
She has also requested a Lock for the door, A wine cooler and an escape trunk through the foundation... I'm not sure about the wine cooler.
View Quote
Yeti cooler. Cheaper than a wine cooler and you can take it fishing.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Inlaws bought the house next to us. It has a large external garage they wont use. They offered it up for boat storage...

Where it was...
Attachment Attached File

On the move...
Attachment Attached File

Its new home. I literally had half an inch clearance up top at the entrance...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Still have much more to go, but drywall was put up this week. Sorry for not updating much, but there hasn't been a lot to visually update...

View from front door foyer.
Before
Attachment Attached File

Now.
Attachment Attached File

Before
Attachment Attached File

Now.
Attachment Attached File

Newer...
Attachment Attached File

Before
Attachment Attached File

Now. (Turned it into an office and a 1/2 bath)
Attachment Attached File

Youngest sons room
Before.
Attachment Attached File

Now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Oldest boys room
Before
Attachment Attached File

Now.
Attachment Attached File

Garage has a few cabinets, waiting for drywall to finish up and be installed...
Attachment Attached File

This area was just kinda open, Preview owner had a sewing room set up here...
Wall on right will be all cabinets for Pantry.
Attachment Attached File

Moved laundry out of Master Bath to Pantry area... (This area used to have a spare fridge)
Attachment Attached File

Pulled the half bath from here and moved it closer to the office. Now going to have 1 standup refer and 1 stand up freezer...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#26]
No update on the house, but my boy just reeled this in from the pond. Of course I am stuck at work...
Attachment Attached File

Excuse the finger on the lens, The 8 Y/O was taking the pic....
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Your lake is stocked with striped bass??!!!!! I'd never leave. Just spend the rest of my life catching stripers every day!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the updates!  I have been enjoying your projects, getting ideas for my own.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Big smile on Mrs. NCUrk today. They started the new Master closet today...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Renovation dinner....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Closet is framed up and blending the roof into the patio.
Patio will be squared off at the corner.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
So the drywaller left his stilts... A short guy wanted to know what it felt like to be tall...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#33]
A couple of little setbacks...

Dealership for the ASV called and they manufacturer is running about a month behind. So I wont be getting my new toy this month.
Attachment Attached File

Its OK, The trailer is delayed too...
Attachment Attached File
(Stock image)

Interior is coming along nice.
Attachment Attached File

All in all I don't have any real reason to complain. Life is great.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Cabinets going in...  Spousal unit is very happy...

Entertainment center
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

never mind that little gap on the bottom right. Floor guy says he can slide the new floor under it...

Dining room
Attachment Attached File

Pantry
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Tons of storage, OP! Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Putting doors in and a few other minor boring things....

Sun is out, pollen is falling, dogs are shedding. It's a great day to be outside...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#39]
It may look like just another picture of the pond... But if you look closely, we are getting a new roof. Very exciting. Lots of stuff supposed to happen in the next week. Cabinets are supposed to be finished. Old kitchen island and sink will be removed and new one will go in. Had the new front door go in today. Lots of stuff going on. Only took one pic, been fighting a rusted trailer wheel/hub....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Not sure if I ever updated the progress in the boys shower...
It was the one thing we were going to leave alone, until the floor pan started leaking. And we found a floor pan on top of a floor pan, on top of tile..... So.... We tore it all out and went with this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Old Kitchen island is gone. New island and countertops going in. Also, backsplash for stove. Matches the countertops.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Stuck at work. Wife is sending me pics...
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Looking good!  Has your new piece of equipment showed up yet??
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, figure out what they are.  With that stove, I would have guessed they would have done great countertops too, but maybe not.  Maybe just solid surface.  If you wanted white cabinets and did some gray tile backsplash, it might save you replacing those.

If they're some kind of quartz, soapstone as another poster suggested, or any other high-end material, you can at least sell them for a little bit.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't appear to be, will check when I walk through again on Thursday.

Yeah, figure out what they are.  With that stove, I would have guessed they would have done great countertops too, but maybe not.  Maybe just solid surface.  If you wanted white cabinets and did some gray tile backsplash, it might save you replacing those.

If they're some kind of quartz, soapstone as another poster suggested, or any other high-end material, you can at least sell them for a little bit.

It looks a lot like a type white marble that comes from near where I live. There are a lot of gold, black, brown and blue veins in it.
I've fabricated and installed probably over 100 kitchen counter tops all over the country in that color. It makes very nice counter tops. $$$$$$$
Eta: nice new counter tops.  Those look fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Looking good!  Has your new piece of equipment showed up yet??
View Quote

Tractor is delivered to the dealer (Scheduled) on the 7th of next month.
Doing a road trip next week to pick up a trailer in TN. Then, hopefully I can get to being busy...
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#45]
You should change the thread title to “I bought a kick ass house and am remodeling it”
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#46]
New siding going up. Found rot when we put the new roof on. Out with the old. Putting hardy plank up.
Attachment Attached File

Not really house related, but went and picked up a new equipment trailer. CTL/Mulcher should be here early next month...
Attachment Attached File

Its dog approvved.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Random pics..
New roof.
Attachment Attached File

Excuse the mess, but we have lights and fans...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And just because.
BB guns have changed...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Floors going in...
Before

Kitchen, living room
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Dining room
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Today is the equipment delivery day correct?  Post up some pics of the beast when you can

I saw a local outfit clearing some lots with the mulchers near my house they subdivided and are getting ready to sell.  Pretty crazy how fast they can clear stuff out
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top