Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2020 11:10:32 PM EDT
I know I have posted this before. Yet since for political reasons this site!

I don't want to be a member! Yet I respect and appreciate other members' opinions that are respectful!

Looking for ideas for a home range I will have 10 acres of land and want a range for pistol and rifle!
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:35:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Whats your back stop situation? Neighbors? Residential structures near by ?

Im on 10 acres and due to unique terrain ( 300 foot steep ridges on all sides and backed up to Nat Forest) my range and back stops were all natural. It was just a matter of measuring out and placing targets.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
If the land slopes it’s easier. My backyard slopes down to my pond. It has a natural backstop. Back up 100 yards for rifle. 175 to across pond. Get close for pistol. Steel targets and a place to hang paper and it’s good to go.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
How big do you want your range to be?
I built my 50 yard range primarily as  a pistol range, which is all I needed at the time.
If you have the resources to go longer, build it as large as you can safely build.
You can always stand closer to the target line, its tough to create range yardage that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The land is pretty flat. I'm going to have to make a backstop for it the land is in a very rural area and I can position the range so that if by chance around made it through the backstop it would have nothing but miles of farm fields to go through.

I was thinking of making a dirt hill backstop and placing two layers of railroad ties. 6 feet high and 6 feet apart from each other fill with dirt between the ties. Just a thought take any advice.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
How big do you want your range to be?
I built my 50 yard range primarily as  a pistol range, which is all I needed at the time.
If you have the resources to go longer, build it as large as you can safely build.
You can always stand closer to the target line, its tough to create range yardage that doesn't exist.
View Quote

I want it to be 100 yards but with the way the land is I can push it back even further.

Edited to add- I would not mine a 500 yard range Marine in me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
So, a couple factors to consider.

Do you need to build a backstop?  (sounds like yes)
Where do you want to shoot from? (Personally, I would rather like to walk from the house, rather than hike to the edge of the property.)
Does that make sense, for accidental overshoots? (Don't want a round to hit the neighbor's house or person driving by!)
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By raimius:
So, a couple factors to consider.

Do you need to build a backstop?  (sounds like yes)
Where do you want to shoot from? (Personally, I would rather like to walk from the house, rather than hike to the edge of the property.)
Does that make sense, for accidental overshoots? (Don't want a round to hit the neighbor's house or person driving by!)
View Quote

From what I can tell from satellite imagery of the land I could not walk to far from the house to be in a good area. After the land from my home there is nothing but farm land for miles.

If a bullet gets though over 6 feet of dirt and two sets of railroad ties that is an awesome round! Can't say I'll not want a 50 caliber but don't have one Max I have now is a 7.62x51.

What you say about walking to the range might help me out! I don't mind a walk at all but making the back stop closer to the edge might allow me to have a 500 yard range.?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top