Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 3:24:58 PM EDT
Just curious how many hours people either have on their units, or how long they lasted before croaking.

I realize that maintenance and environmental varibles will come to play here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
We have 2.  Bought in '14.  One has 0 hours and the other, thanks to our recent quake, has about 9 hours.

Edit: just a follow up to STX45's post.  The gen I ran the other day had never been run before.  I put oil in it when we first got it, slipped a cover on it and that's all.  After we lost power I filled it with gas, a couple of easy pulls on the cord and we had power.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
30-40 hrs
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have over 600 hours on mine.

Stills runs like new. Doesn't use any oil.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 13 yo with few hundred hours and a 8 yo with virtually none.

They still both start run fine
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#5]
We have a pair of trouble free Hondas with 800 and 1000 hours.  Along with that, air compressors, steam cleaners and other assorted equipment all powered by Honda.

The Honda and Yamaha 2k inverter generators are often treated with near identical respect.  No more Yamaha junk for me as detailed below.

My Brother and I bought identical Yamaha EF2000IS generators and both failed with a catastrophic oil leak at about 1500 hrs while under warranty.  I took mine in to a certified Yamaha dealer for repair and waited 6 months for them to finish.  When I got it back the case had been put back on and not aligned properly, the fuel  shut off was almost impossible to turn, a cover was left off the connection to the electronic carb control, the weather cap on the ON/OFF switch was missing and it appeared the screws used to reassemble the case were just whatever was laying convenient on the workbench at the time.  I did a test run and it still leaked oil.   IMHO,  it is in WORSE shape than when I took it in.  I sent a certified letter to Yamaha USA and received no reply.

My brother took his generator to the same dealer since it is the only one withing a reasonable distance - and it is STILL 75 miles away.  He voiced some concerns over work quality and length of stay in the shop based on my experience and yes --the service manager remembered me.  The service manager flat out told him his generator would be the lowest priority of anything in the shop and he would be LUCKY to get it back in 6 months!  I was absolutely astounded by the poor attitude!  He asked to speak to the General Manager and was told he does not get involved with issues dealing with these "smaller units." My brother declined to leave it with that shop.  He also sent a certified letter to Yamaha USA with no reply afterwards.

It is my opinion Yamaha USA has little profit margin on these generators and it is throwing bad money at them to have to do warranty service on them.  As such,  they basically ignore you after the sale.

I am not a complainer by nature but I made myself a promise that I would badmouth the Yamaha EF2000IS generators at every public opportunity after we had these near identical horrible experiences.  When we bought the Yamahas we ***ASSUMED*** we were getting quality products while paying a premium price and would be assured of stellar warranty support.   We were wrong.

FWIW,  Both of us bought the Honda EU2000i generators as replacements and are well pleased.  He has about 800 hrs on his and I have about 1000 on mine.  It is more than equal to or better than the Yamaha on most counts.

/rant off
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got two, both are over 10 years old and have hundreds of hours, maybe over a 1,000 hours on both of them.  Run non-ethanol gas, change plugs and oil on schedule and they seem to run reliably for a very long time.  Mine have been used for powering a hunt camp trailer, tailgate parties, backup power for hurricane power outages.

I've had trouble in the past with the jets getting clogged in the carb.  I now keep a spare set of carbs since it's much easier to swap the carb than disassemble and clean the carb in the field.

I also built an extended run gas tank using a portable boat tank and various fittings.  Look this up online, it's nice to not have to get up and refill in the middle of the night.  I can run pretty much all day with a 7 gallon external tank.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#7]
4 years old, around 30 hours on it, use only non-ethanol gas from Bucees.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually have a brand new one I won in a raffle 2 years ago...
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:29:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a two year old with 0 hours. No problems yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top