Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2018 8:54:54 PM EDT
Edit by Kitties:  I'm tacking because I think this is a great idea for a thread, but you need to post HOT LINKS to the sites you recommend AND you need to tell what you think is valuable and/or different about each one, for our particular membership.  If you need help with linking, IM me or another mod for help.  Anybody posting for advertising purposes will get deleted, and if it's a problem the thread will get trashed, so don't do that please. ~Kitties

Thought it beneficial to post some of my frequented Youtube channels that are Homesteading/similar topics. Other resources like books are welcome as well, knowledge comes in many forms.

Hopefully this can grow into something that will get tacked.

Disclaimer/Pledge: I am not affiliated/receiving compensation from any below listed YouTube Channels/Authors/Creators.

Project Farm : His testing of small engines with just about every liquid known to man is the main attraction, and many other good tests/project videos as well.

Shawn Woods: Rodentraps/variety of pest control topics/back-to-the basic hunting/unique edibles.

The Cook Family Homestead : Honest dialog and lessons learned for start up hobby chicken farmers/homesteaders.

Edible Acres : A different view of Homesteading from a very self-sufficient couple who maximize an acre or so of land and utilize everything possible from nature.

Cody's Lab He's quite the renaissance man in unique subjects involving geology, beekeeping (my main attraction to his channel), alchemy, off-grid living, and more.

AvE : Close enough to Homesteading, Farm & Gardening; As electrical/mechanical understanding is good to have, and his BOLTR tool reviews are second to none).

Wranglestar  : I find him knowledgeable in lumberjacking/woodcutting/old-fashioned tool use, but quite long winded.

Husqvarna USA: Very knowledgeable presenter on chainsaw/power tool maintenance, upkeep, and operating techniques. Even though I'm all Stihl, this channel doesn't dumb it down like Stihl USA's does, but instead treats you like a competent adult ready to learn detailed and advanced content.

Chris Notap :
Quite ingenious that guy is. I may copy his rain barrel array set up, and his squirrel traps are quite unique. The majority of his project videos make me think "That's so simple, why am I doing it the hard way. Another channel plus is his repurposed use of everyday materials. Quite MacGuyver-like.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Doubt it will get tagged, one of these fires up every month or so.

Foutch Family Homestead, has some good nuggets
Essential Craftsman, my current favorite
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 6:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a few that I watch every once in awhile-

Boss of the Swamp- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItDmit6Yy5-hazNSdoDYuA
Older guy that built a cabin, and now has "restored" his families hunting cabin in NH and been living there I think for over a year. Has plenty of homesteading, hunting, carpentry, and trapping videos. Video's are usually 10-20mins

Pure Living for life- Mentioned already

Wranglerstar- Mentioned already. Don't watch to often as I think of him as the NutNFancy of the homesteading world.

Farmhands Companion- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0P_n2ZAmMzO11zenJqjs9g
Some good info, old school techniques, kinda comedic sometimes. Doesn't upload to often.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Sea2summit, what's Essential Craftsman about?  The name sounds useful and if you like it, it's not gonna be stupid.  I don't have time to hit all these to find out,(cuz I don't have time to even breathe really, right now ) so thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance..

Kitties
View Quote
He's an older guy with lots of logging, blacksmithing, and construction background.  He's our kind of people, what more can I say
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Essential Mountain Homesteading

His interview / documented process with the well drilling installation is what made me want to share this YouTube channel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Homemade World

Many compilation videos full of effective homemade contraptions for use on the farm and many other places. We get so technically advanced, we forget that sometimes, simpler is better.

ETA: after watching several videos, its a mashup of things, and some of the videos are similar to "How It's Made, and the like. Could be called the "How things are done in 2nd/3rd world countries."

There are a few diamonds in the rough though.

If you've got time to kill on a rainy day, might be worth watching playlist style.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
R.C. Worst & Co Inc.

I wish I would have found this Youtube Channel years ago, and definitely before I started getting well quotes. Knowledgeable and very informative content in all the videos I have watched so far in regards to well pumps, septic, water supply and related topics.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Life Uncontained
Solar, building a container home
Life Uncontained

Nik Rijavec
Currently building a log cabin
Nik Rijavec

Kris Harbour
Off grid in the UK
Kris Harbour
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All good additions  @fallfrenzy !

Thanks for adding these!
View Quote
Appreciate the kudos, but I'm just one of many contributors.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Growing your greens
I find this one useful for gardening. A lot of good info,  though the guy is a little weird lol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Anything Salatin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top