Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 2:16:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
We usually plant a small garden, like taters, peppers, cucumbers, beans, stuff like that. Only planted 4 rows of potatoes this year, and the neighbors just gave up for the deer. I'll get out the BB gun if the critters start this go-round.
Hopefully we'll get a few chickens this summer and a chicken tractor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
We have dairy goats but we just added a meat buck and will pick up some nannies as money allows. Probably won’t eat our own as we eat mostly wild red meat but prices will be good around here no matter what and the infrastructure is already there.  So worst case meat, medium bad it’s trading material, best case they turn into cash. I really wanted a dairy cow this year but if stuff goes too bad we don’t have enough feed here to sustain one over winter.

Added five ducks doubling our flock, they’re mostly just fun to watch but totally sustainable on the property.

We do meat chickens every year, thinking about doing two rounds this year because the children are getting bigger and we we eat two per meal.

Did put a garden in this year but that was already in motion, wish it was bigger but we’re still trying to figure out growing around here.

We lost our last rooster for the eggers about six weeks ago so hatched a batch of eggs and picked up some more chicks to diversify the breeding.

We tried 10 turkeys this year...dumbest birds on the planet and every year I say never again. We have two left that haven’t found a way to kill themselves yet.  This year we had one tangle it’s neck in some vines and die, that was a new method.

Have a sow I thought got bred but I’m loosing confidence so in the market for a boyfriend.  Then we’re raising one that will be ready for the freezer in about two months.

As always working on improving the soil here wether that means thinning the woods or adding organic materials to the open areas.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Look into Freedom Ranger meat chickens. 

I no shit have butchered some out to be 12 pounds DRESSSED. Size of small turkeys. Most were around 6-8 pounds dressed though. There were many meals where my wife, son (about 10 at the time) and myself could only handle one breast for a meal, so a single chicken lasted almost a week of meals. They are robust, grow well (roosters are best, I advise to buy a straight run of roosters), and are feed efficient. I was raising those 12 pound monsters for $8 and change each. My whiz-bang plucker could ever so barely get the job done, even with a 3/4 hp motor . They forage well, and eat scraps just like a "regular" chicken. The meat is also insanely flavorful. IMHO, probably about the best homesteader meat bird. Just be ready to butcher once they start attacking each other and otherwise doing "rooster" things.

I decided that its better to butcher less huge birds than many small ones. YMMV though.
View Quote

A quick google of two places show they grow to 5-6 lbs. Got a link?

Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
That’s cool about the Freedom Rangers. I don’t have any experience with meat chickens, and was looking for laying hens. Got any recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
They available from the same website?
Edit: found them.
We definitely require durable
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Look into Freedom Ranger meat chickens. 

I no shit have butchered some out to be 12 pounds DRESSSED. Size of small turkeys. Most were around 6-8 pounds dressed though. There were many meals where my wife, son (about 10 at the time) and myself could only handle one breast for a meal, so a single chicken lasted almost a week of meals. They are robust, grow well (roosters are best, I advise to buy a straight run of roosters), and are feed efficient. I was raising those 12 pound monsters for $8 and change each. My whiz-bang plucker could ever so barely get the job done, even with a 3/4 hp motor . They forage well, and eat scraps just like a "regular" chicken. The meat is also insanely flavorful. IMHO, probably about the best homesteader meat bird. Just be ready to butcher once they start attacking each other and otherwise doing "rooster" things.

I decided that its better to butcher less huge birds than many small ones. YMMV though.
View Quote

@Rat_Patrol

How long do you raise these freedom rangers.  I just butched 11 after 8 weeks or so and they were about 4 lbs dressed. Roosters by far larger so thats a good point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Once they start attacking each other, typically 16 weeks or so. Putting apple cider vinegar in their water helps push this off a bit.

The extremely large roosters were a year old, we cherry picked the largest at butchering time and let them go. We actually kept a few for breeding experiments, but as expected, the chicks did not yield any desirable traits either meat or egg. Freedom Rangers are a hybrid, and do not breed true, but I decided to see what happened when I crossed them with a few heritage breeds we had.

I know its a bit more feed efficient to butcher at 8-12 weeks, but I try to let them forage as much as possible to reduce feed costs, and butchering is a PITA. Its the same PIA whether its a small or large bird, so I choose to be slightly less feed efficient and let them get bigger so I can raise/butcher less large birds than more small birds to get the same amount of meat.
View Quote

Okay so you raised them for a year.

thanks man
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Chickens lay golden eggs. I've had more people hitting me up for eggs than ever before.
Same with pork. We butchered 2 pigs right before lockdown and I have folks asking for pork all the time. Was at the local grocery store today and they had plenty pork, chicken and eggs. Not sure what's going on.
I'm ramping up rabbits and sheep...already seeing a serious hike in beef prices. I suspect res meat is going to be a bit of a luxury pretty soon.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
We live in a small town, within city limits, but our city permits chickens. I've been posting in other threads about our move to get debt free. We'll soon have an acre at the edge of the city and we'll be starting a big garden and buying some chickens.

Growing up nobody in my family hunted. I've always wanted to get into it. I was a late bloomer at 32, but a coworker of mine took me under his wing and helped me get my first deer last December. The day before the hunt, my boss gave me his old chest freezer. I HAVE NO IDEA how I got by before without a freezer full (well 1/3 full) of meat.

I'm hooked. I'll be hunting a lot more next season. I'd like to get 2 or 3 deer in the freezer before 2021 and I look forward to adding home grown spices and vegetables to the mix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top