Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/22/2022 6:18:03 PM EDT
I know they aren't food safe but does that matter if the food is already packed in mylar bags with O2 absorbers?

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Lowes sells food grade buckets, and yes, it does matter for storing food.  Off gassing can happen and impart nasties in your food.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Have a Tractor Supply nearby? Their buckets are food safe.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
those orange buckets are the biggest pieces of junk I have ever bought, they shatter like glass.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Good to know. Thanks for all the info. I'll use them to store non food things or take them back. I'm new to all of this.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know they aren't food safe but does that matter if the food is already packed in mylar bags with O2 absorbers?

Thank you
View Quote

I don't know, but being totally honest buckets are one of the most needed items I didn't have on hand while building my rural cabin and in getting it where it will support me in a SHTF....

You can never have too many buckets.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Walmart buckets are essentially the same as the home depot ones if I recall.  Lowes buckets are decent but the lip is more rounded. And doesn't hold water as well.

You can certainly line them with mylar and put food in. If doing rice/grains I suggest getting some dry ice.  Just toss some in the bag and seal it up about 98% of the way. Press on bucket lid up.  The dry ice pushes out oxygen and replaces it with carbon dioxide. That creates a toxic environment for any living thing in there. Leave the lid on for about 7 days. This ensures any eggs that hatch also die. Then seal the mylar up fully and store it away.

Dry ice won't harm the food or do anything other than be cold and produce carbon dioxide gas.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lowes sells food grade buckets, and yes, it does matter for storing food.  Off gassing can happen and impart nasties in your food.
View Quote

How does any off gassing get through the mylar bag?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotta say 5 gallon buckets are the heart and sole of disaster work. Bucket brigades work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told it’s for after you start using the food in SHTF.  If you open the Mylar and start using the food, it’s still protected.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
The whole idea of using mylar is to be a barrier for oxygen and other gasses.  If it wasn't good at this food would go rancid.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Be careful with the gamma lids. I've read that many have crappy moldings and will leak unless you sand down small leftover plastic bits. If you're using sealed mylar, you don't need those lids.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Use Mylar and oxygen asorbers. USA emergency supplies is a good source.

Walmart buckets are fine and cheaper, than HD or Lowe’s
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not when the OP mentions that the food is in Mylar bags.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I debated this too. I ended up on the side of caution and just going with the food safe route. The HD buckets are about $5 and then $2.50ish for a lid.

This place has 6 packs of food safe buckets with lids, free shipping and no tax for me. You can usually kick up a 10-15% off code for them too. May last order came to $8.85/each. Not terribly much more than HD for peace of mind.

https://epackagesupply.com/5-gal-bpa-free-food-grade-white-bucket-with-wire-handle-and-lid-t40mw-starting-quantity-1-count-free-shipping/

Code SPINNERWINNER10 took 10% off. DONTGO10 and MOBILE15 have also worked for me in the past, but appear to be one use per account.

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not when the OP mentions that the food is in Mylar bags.
View Quote

Yeah I bought 10x14 mylar bags that I was planning on filling and just using the "Homer" bucket to protect/organize.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Be careful with the gamma lids. I've read that many have crappy moldings and will leak unless you sand down small leftover plastic bits. If you're using sealed mylar, you don't need those lids.
View Quote

We use the gamma lid buckets in our pantry to store the wheat berries, oats, rice, salt, sugar & flour we use every day.  It is easier for the children to use them than it is for them to pull off bucket lids.  There is less spilling of buckets when they are helping mom with the food preparation.  The gamma lids are on 6 gallon buckets, so even if there is a little still in the bucket, we can still dump in the contents of one of our sealed 5 gallon buckets.  We have not had any difficulty with the lids, but ours are all several years old at this point.

I don't think it would be cost effective to use them for all stored products.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
those orange buckets are the biggest pieces of junk I have ever bought, they shatter like glass.

View Quote

Same with the lowes blue ones.  UV eats them alive.  Foodgrade all the way even on every day use buckets just to avoid the frustration.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#19]
About ten years ago I bought a bunch of "gamma" lids and they have been fine EXCEPT for three that I had left in my shop. I went to retrieve them and all three had "split" right across the center of the lid. Hmm. None of the ones I have in place on buckets have done that and I still buy/use them but for some reason these three split. They were on a shelf in my shop that gets really HOT in the summers here. ALL the other lids are in a semi temp controlled environment and have fared well so far.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have a Tractor Supply nearby? Their buckets are food safe.
View Quote

These are what I buy. They are also less expensive than most other buckets, or were the last time I bought some.    
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 9:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had good luck with homer buckets and lowes buckets - I bought whichever was cheaper.
Sometime in the past few years I have noticed they are all thinner and the bottoms appear translucent. Inspect every bucket before you purchase.  As of late - Of the few I've purchased I've noticed split bottoms.

Especially the walmart buckets.
Also, I swore off the non-gasketed lids.  These types of lids collapse over time if you stack more than two high.  The models with the gaskets have never failed and feel to be made with more plastic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was told it’s for after you start using the food in SHTF.  If you open the Mylar and start using the food, it’s still protected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't, and if I am using the contents of the mylar bag, possible "outgassing" of 10yr old plastic buckets is going to be the last thing on my mind.  Not the least bit worried.

Doc
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I use Mylar and oxygen absorbers
And then gamma lids too.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

ALL gasses go through mylar. It's shit for storage but people here fall for it time after time

Ever seen a week-old mylar balloon that was filled with helium? Hint: it's not the balloon knot letting that gas out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The whole idea of using mylar is to be a barrier for oxygen and other gasses.  If it wasn't good at this food would go rancid.
View Quote

Get some three year old halal MRE's where the dry goods are packed in mylar for whatever reason.

I guarantee you that stuff is rancid.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ALL gasses go through mylar. It's shit for storage but people here fall for it time after time

Ever seen a week-old mylar balloon that was filled with helium? Hint: it's not the balloon knot letting that gas out.
View Quote

So you’re seriously suggesting that a 7 mil Mylar bag is in any way comparable to a ballon? GD is that way >>>
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So you're seriously suggesting that a 7 mil Mylar bag is in any way comparable to a ballon? GD is that way >>>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're seriously suggesting that a 7 mil Mylar bag is in any way comparable to a ballon? GD is that way >>>

Guess I'll have pickle scented rice....thanks fire house...

Long term food threads Crack me up.

Use o2s. Use mylar and use any container to store it. Blue red yellow orange....doesn't matter.

Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is incorrect. Good mylar provides a complete barrier to oxygen for decades. Don't compare a 7 mil mylar bag to 1 mil mylar balloons
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol, what are you doing with them?  Were they sitting in the sun for 12 years?
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:32:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Firehouse subs sells 5 gallon pickle buckets w/ lids for $3.00 each, which they donate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes!

The wheel spins around again and everything old is new again and the wheel has to be re-invented.

One guy posts on the internet 10+ years ago that his "homer" bucket supposedly made his macaroni red (Protus you probably remember the guy, erratic fellow from another forum), never posts any pics although he posted pics of everything else. Suddenly after that the new preppers start to cry- "no colored buckets!"  This is before that statement would be considered racist LOL. So then the BS is regurgitated that "colored buckets" are bad.

I go to my LTS, knowing damn well I have probably a dozen blue, red, etc. colored buckets mixed in with a ton of professional Ropack buckets. Open a few of those discriminated against colored buckets some of which are older than some of the posters pushing the "no colored buckets" BS. I post pics of still good product that was packed in mylar in "colored" buckets.

Not long after this the "no colored buckets" BS seems to die off as people figure out Firehouse subs has used pickle buckets for $1. but they are GASSSSSPPPP "red." Oh doe noez!!!

Specifically "homer" buckets? Can't say for personal sure, I looked and don't have a single one in storage. No homo depots near me so I never have shopped there for buckets.

Colored buckets? Yeah got "a few" in storage and they are fine. Even think back in the day when this non sense first started that I rooted out one from the "long long ago" that was packed without mylars 1980's style. No colored rice or similar BS.

Mylar- yes use mylar. Don't be a dumbarse and use mylar "party balloons" in an attempt to save $.47 and you'll be fine.

Are they a true vapor barrier? Well I'm no scientist but I've had Euro gas cans leak in areas we had LTS buckets. I've noticed that a bucket packed without mylar (again, very old pre-mylar) did have a gas smell and the one right next to it packed with mylar had NO gas smell.

What's ALWAYS funny to me is that people will freak out about the minutest detail on these sorts of things but in doing so fail to TAKE ACTION. I remember this crazy crazy over analytical guy that used to come to campouts and public gatherings we would host for like minded folks. He spent YEARS "researching" the "right way" to do LTS and was far, far too anal about it. Well, dude gets in all his grains, legumes, etc. and puts them UNPACKAGED in an outside rental storage center in central Florida. THEN he goes on to trying to find all the buckets, re-researches mylar again, absorbers, the whole nine. This of course takes him another year or so. Lo and behold, dude reports that his grains are all gone to shiiite and have bugs in them, etc. DUH! Packing material in hand first then materials, then pack immediately after.

People get way too wrapped around the axle "researching" this without DOING anything.

View Quote

Go to general discussion.
It's like reliving 2006 lol. Must be half dozen threads  going on LTS right now
I waiting for a prepping mommy to school me on LTS and why old soda bottles and Mason jars are best ever.......
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yes!

The wheel spins around again and everything old is new again and the wheel has to be re-invented.

One guy posts on the internet 10+ years ago that his "homer" bucket supposedly made his macaroni red (Protus you probably remember the guy, erratic fellow from another forum), never posts any pics although he posted pics of everything else. Suddenly after that the new preppers start to cry- "no colored buckets!"  This is before that statement would be considered racist LOL. So then the BS is regurgitated that "colored buckets" are bad.

I go to my LTS, knowing damn well I have probably a dozen blue, red, etc. colored buckets mixed in with a ton of professional Ropack buckets. Open a few of those discriminated against colored buckets some of which are older than some of the posters pushing the "no colored buckets" BS. I post pics of still good product that was packed in mylar in "colored" buckets.

Not long after this the "no colored buckets" BS seems to die off as people figure out Firehouse subs has used pickle buckets for $1. but they are GASSSSSPPPP "red." Oh doe noez!!!

Specifically "homer" buckets? Can't say for personal sure, I looked and don't have a single one in storage. No homo depots near me so I never have shopped there for buckets.

Colored buckets? Yeah got "a few" in storage and they are fine. Even think back in the day when this non sense first started that I rooted out one from the "long long ago" that was packed without mylars 1980's style. No colored rice or similar BS.

Mylar- yes use mylar. Don't be a dumbarse and use mylar "party balloons" in an attempt to save $.47 and you'll be fine.

Are they a true vapor barrier? Well I'm no scientist but I've had Euro gas cans leak in areas we had LTS buckets. I've noticed that a bucket packed without mylar (again, very old pre-mylar) did have a gas smell and the one right next to it packed with mylar had NO gas smell.

What's ALWAYS funny to me is that people will freak out about the minutest detail on these sorts of things but in doing so fail to TAKE ACTION. I remember this crazy crazy over analytical guy that used to come to campouts and public gatherings we would host for like minded folks. He spent YEARS "researching" the "right way" to do LTS and was far, far too anal about it. Well, dude gets in all his grains, legumes, etc. and puts them UNPACKAGED in an outside rental storage center in central Florida. THEN he goes on to trying to find all the buckets, re-researches mylar again, absorbers, the whole nine. This of course takes him another year or so. Lo and behold, dude reports that his grains are all gone to shiiite and have bugs in them, etc. DUH! Packing material in hand first then materials, then pack immediately after.

People get way too wrapped around the axle "researching" this without DOING anything.

View Quote
Frugal Squirrels?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Was on Frugals for years yes  Haven't been in about 8-10 years now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frugal Squirrels?

Was on Frugals for years yes  Haven't been in about 8-10 years now.
Neither have I since the religious purge a decade or so ago, until recently.  I *think* someone else owns it now.

ETA:  Just like here, a lot of newbies over there asking about long term food prepping.  I searched and found one of your old 2007 threads, same subject, and provided it as a link.  Let's see if it stirs anyone up or not.  

After all these years, still great advice!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Home Depot went woke - shopping there is exercising your white privilege.  Try Lowes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Home Depot went woke - shopping there is exercising your white privilege.  Try Lowes.
View Quote

Lowes burned me a few years back and I can hold a grudge. I plan on using my Homer buckets. I also bought some food grade buckets with gamma lids, from Menards, they are pricey.

I didn't know that Firehouse sold their old buckets. I will check them out. Thank you everyone for the information.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

So do the blue Lowe's buckets.

Contact your local Chinese restaurant (or any other restaurant) and see if they'll give you their white food grade quality buckets.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel that this is overthinking it a bit.
I use blue Lowe’s buckets and the gasket lids.  I have a few of the gamma lids, but they get expensive.

Mylar should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I have used an assortment of buckets with no issues. I will say in an older thread here someone mentioned going to a bakery and getting the icing buckets since they are food grade and usually plentiful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have used an assortment of buckets with no issues. I will say in an older thread here someone mentioned going to a bakery and getting the icing buckets since they are food grade and usually plentiful.
View Quote

I scored a bunch of free buckets at sams club, but holy hell, that icing is some of the nastiest stuff ever created.   Worse than 80 year old Russian cosmoline.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now that you mention it, they are awful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#46]
I've always just reused whatever HDPE #2 bucket I could find and so far so good. What goes into making a "food grade" bucket though? As far as I am aware HDPE is HDPE.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Firehouse Subs five gallon pickle buckets with lids. $3 on no tax in my area.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've always just reused whatever HDPE #2 bucket I could find and so far so good. What goes into making a "food grade" bucket though? As far as I am aware HDPE is HDPE.
View Quote
Food grade has a minimum of three requirements to be considered food grade:

- Made from virgin raw material - no recycling
- Food grade release agents i.e. oils, also be food grade
- Food grade prior use.  In other words a food grade bucket used to store motor oil is no longer food grade and can never be again.

Now, it's entirely possible that both FG and non-FG buckets are made on the same line by the same people, machines, materials so forth and so on.  End users may or may not care whether it's FG e.g. bakeries for icing vs. Shell filling a bucket with dino oil.

HDPE is one of many possible FG materials, but it's just a material code, nothing more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Line with a plastic bag, add some kitty litter and a toilet seat and you have a portable shit bucket.  

Perfect use for them.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#50]
We use mostly 2nd hand food grade buckets from people who have a supply.  Bought some this weekend. These were cleaned, 3.5 gal, icing, and filling buckets from a bakery at $2 with a lid. Last time I bought buckets in bulk they had frozen eggs in them.  $1 per w/ lid, clean.

We also have various manufactured, food grade and non-food grade 5 gal buckets. All with mylar.  Some of the food grade buckets have the Gamma lids on them.  I figure the Gamma lids give the food bucket more utility by making them easier to remove food once the mylar has been opened.  Now, it seems, that the most mylar bags have a zip on them.

We have a storage room in the basement where we keep food & gear.  

What I read above, about the splitting of unfitted gamma lids cracking, is concerning. We have a few that are not attached to a bucket.  Next trip to the cabin, I’ll attach them to the buckets  and see how they do.  The gamma’s are 3 yo. Gets down to 48 *F and high of a 100*F for shorter periods. Better to know now, when the gear can be fixed or replaced.

My humble Summary for 2006.
Food Safe
Mylar
AR
.45ACP
Magazine
5000/1000/1000/10,000 for each
Rawles
Red Dawn original
Drip Hills Bros with half and half
Lone wolf
Various USGI surplus
No to Smart Phone Survival Apps except for Batt Life
Recently went to Red Dot from Irons
Quoted:
View Quote

Finally! I'll go where I get my white privilege.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top