Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2019 10:53:36 AM EDT
IDK if any of you saw this. They had been investigating the wounds on these horses for a while. I have not seen any of the wounds....so IDK.

I guess it is possible.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxcarolina.com/investigations/officials-provide-more-information-concerning-recent-horse-attacks-in-greenville/article_0e616470-161e-11ea-b8a7-f7a3d8a9b464.amp.html
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I would lay money on dogs. It's funny here dogs never hurt anything unless they are Pitbulls! The most calves we ever lost to a dog were drowned by a dalmation he would play with them till they hit a pond and drown. And the most greusom attack I ever witnessed on a claf were two Labs. They literally pulled a calf in half while was watching while unarmed. But next time the labs weren't so lucky.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just cannot see a rash of boar vs horse attacks over a decent distance.

My thoughts were it was either some sicko doing it, dogs, or a large cat. Large cats roam a good bit and to me would make the most sense.

IDK the whole thing doesn’t pass by BS sniffer.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Let them fight

If the hogs win bring them out here
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There is Beaucoup $ in that whole area in horses. I’m talking megabucks. Like princes from the ME flew some in on their own 747 last year for a show or something.

I think that $= pressure and an answer was needed. Not to say hogs don’t deserve it, but for all of a sudden boars to decide to FO on horses over a decent area? IDK about that.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in high school hogs were just getting to be a thing in our area.  Late 80s early 90s.  We had hogs from babies up to 400# eating in the horse lot nearly every night, picking up what the horses dropped.  It was an ongoing issue for a couple of years.  Hundreds of hogs in small (half acre) lots with dozens of horses, but we never had one cut by a hog.
View Quote
This is exactly my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you think it is?
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What do you think it is?
View Quote
Animal wise, a cat makes more sense. Especially with it being several sites.

I’d be willing to put $ on a sicko person in the area over a hog. Especially a local who lived up there before the “horse culture” boom and the crowd it has brought in.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Big cat could do the damage for sure. You guys have bears in the area? They aren’t usually any good at hiding like the cats.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Big cat could do the damage for sure. You guys have bears in the area? They aren’t usually any good at hiding like the cats.
View Quote
Oh yeah, there are bear all over up there.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't see how a hog could attack the back of the horse mentioned with a clean cut. Maybe that is a separate attack from some weirdo with a machete. Maybe they need to start putting some game cams out and see what is lurking in the dark. I always thought it would be cool to hunt wild hogs but they don't live in my state but now I read an article where they are coming down from Canada. We definitely don't need another invasive species.

Canadian Bacon
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been around hogs, horses, and places with both. Don’t think it’s impossible, just highly unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just now read the article.

They are trying to link cases of cuts on the back, legs, and gunshots?  I've seen/heard of a few horses cut by hogs, they were either because the guys were running hog dogs horseback, they were trying to rope hogs, or they were gathering cattle and just rode up on them in the brush and jumped them.  They were all on the front legs below the knee, and were all when someone had a hog cornered or scared.

Heck, a clean cut on the top of the rump as described could have been from running under a piece of tin, the cuts on the rear legs could have been from anything.  I'm still not sure how the hogs held the gun to shoot that horse.
View Quote
Yeah IDK what their thinking is. It is laughable at best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top