Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2022 12:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dana]
My wife arranged permission for me to hunt a privet ranch this spring as a birthday present, yes she is the best wife ever. We dont have any NV and i dont want to go down that hole yet. I will be using my suppressed Grendel that has a decent scope on it. VX5HD 2-10x42 with fire dot has pretty good low light performance. I have a good bright flash light she can hold for me and a M952 with malkof head that will be mounted on the rifle. Do you guys think i can make do with white light or just hunting dusk and dawn?

I dont really know the setup of the ranch yet. I know he has it leased to some deer hunters so there might be feeders or food plots attracting the hogs. Any tips about tactics?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:37:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sparkyD] [#1]
You can alway's rent. There's two vendors who rent maybe more. Or use a weapon mounted red light. If she's good enough to arrange a hunt she's good enough to carry a weapon too. Is there any way you can set game cameras up before you hunt? Knowledge is your best tool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If there’s feeders out a motion activated green light up there. Scope on lowest mag should give you a decent shot
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been using an Orion green light that mounts to my ar.

Comes as kit and is rechargeable.

Green light for me seems to reach out a little farther than red. Color does not bother the hogs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Shot one yesterday holding a flashlight in one hand and a rifle resting on the blind in the other.
It wasn’t ideal but it put pork in the freezer.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in March I was down at my cousins farm in Texas hunting hogs again.

While we had digital night vision and thermal, we saw lots of hogs right around dusk, even killed a couple of them without night vision.  

Some green or red LED solar lights on feeders work pretty well if you have an optic with a lighted reticle.

If you are going around the time of a full moon you can just about shoot them with a regular scope in open fields.

So you don't need thermal to kill hogs, but it does make it easier.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I have all the stuff, NV, thermal, etc. but hunt most of the time over one feeder that’s been in the same spot for years. I’ve killed dozens upon dozens of pigs there during daylight, many at night also. It’s near a pond and once they start frequenting it they might be there any time. Gone many times in the evening with night gear only to find the pigs already there.
Happened today, got there prepared to wait a little after dark but the pigs were already there late afternoon…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top