Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2018 8:36:23 PM EDT
So I have hogs in both of my pastures. I'm not a hunter but I carry a rifle in my truck and when I see them during the day, I shoot them. If I were to bait overnight and then come in before dawn to look for hogs in a specific spot (I have long rideaways I can look down and get shots on clearings) what would be the most effective?

Corn is ineffective because my cows eat it up no matter how nasty it is. I've fermented for weeks and they still love it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:09:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Tie down a reporter and news crew  in an open field....hogg will be bussed in before you can get set up. Don't get between hogg and the camera, you'll regret it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Corn feeder electric fence to keep cow's out. Pig's go under the electric fence munch on corn cow's pout, unless you have unruly cow's then they tear up electric fence. Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s funny you asked the same thing I’m dealing with. I had the cows pinned on the far side of the ranch this week and put out several bags of corn soaked in Strawberry Fanta soda. The hogs just loved it and so did the cows. I had three young steers we missed when pinning moving pastures and they loved the corn-soda mix. I’m thinking of building a small pen out of cattle panels, cutting small openings in the bottom so the hogs can enter and keep the cattle out.
I dug a hole about 3x4 foot and filled with the corn-soda mix and broadcast some all over the area to get them to come in. Well the dam hogs were going crazy over it. I went out at 1030 Thursday night and even with the full moon I had 15 to 20 all around the cornhole. I snuck within 50 yards and took out the largest sow, about 250 pounds and three younger ones all around 100 pounds.
I’m going back out in two weeks and will try to set up the pen around the cornhole. Since I had to turn the cattle back in that pasture.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's dry, water works.

I've used big butts off of telephone poles, they like the creosote.

Dead hogs (or any carcass) work well.

You'd probably be better off spotlighting them at night.  If you're trying to get rid of them, remember to shoot plenty!
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard of soaking corn in diesel so that the crows and other wildlife don't mess with it. I'm not sure if it deters cows though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Corn soured in bucket mixed with molasses, and you will have every hog for miles. You can not do it all the time, the coons love it too, but if I was scoping a new area this was my go to.

Edit reading is fundamental:

You can make an exclusion in the pasture, just like a hog trap for catching the entire sounder.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Soaking corn in diesel works to keep critters/cows off of it.  Most cows anyway, always some that eat a little.   Needs to soak for several days, not just 20 min.  Otherwise rain will wash it off enough that calves will eat it, then get sick
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard of soaking corn in diesel so that the crowd and other wildlife don't mess with it. I'm not sure if it deters cows though.
View Quote
This is what I came to post. Diesel corn is da bomb.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 7:16:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I've used dry dog food in the past, though it does attract coyotes and coons. Diesel corn works, but you have to let it soak for a few days at least.

I used to have a source for peanut butter seconds from a place in GA that made it and the hogs would come to it like they were magnetized... but so would the fucking bears and we can't shoot bears in FL thanks to the fucking bear huggers.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So I have hogs in both of my pastures. I'm not a hunter but I carry a rifle in my truck and when I see them during the day, I shoot them. If I were to bait overnight and then come in before dawn to look for hogs in a specific spot (I have long rideaways I can look down and get shots on clearings) what would be the most effective?

Corn is ineffective because my cows eat it up no matter how nasty it is. I've fermented for weeks and they still love it.
View Quote
It sounds to me like a 3 string barbwire fence and some t-posts would be the most effective thing for you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It sounds to me like a 3 string barbwire fence and some t-posts would be the most effective thing for you.
View Quote
I have about a dozen calves I don't want getting in there and not getting out. I put wire around the traps that don't work anymore but a feeder would be a different story.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Barb wire fence won’t work.  You can use ) strands pulled tight as hell , and they’ll push through .  Woven wire fence will help, but unless you bury the bottom better than 6 in , they’ll push under, if they want in. But it is much better than nothing
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The easiest way to keep the cows out is to use the heavy wire panels.  They're 16 or 20 foot long, you can use 4 to make a square, or bend two, or bend them into a circle.  Attach them to a few t posts.  If you're worried about calves getting hung up in there, leave all 4 corners open.  If they're too stupid to find their way out, they are going to get killed on something else anyway.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
PIG PIPE!  that is the answer from other critters getting your corn and cows leave it alone.  There are instructions on internet, but it is a PVC pipe with one end sealed with a cable or chain hooked to something.  The other end of the pipe you put a screw off cap to fill the pipe with corn and drill holes down the pipe so the corn comes out.   The pigs will roll the pipe and corn comes out, rutting it.   Spread a little bit of corn around the pipe.   Since it is anchored the pipe will go in circles as they roll it, it will make pig pipe circles in the grass.

Not my video, but what I found on internet

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t-s&p=pig+pipes+feeders#id=4&vid=733d8c0921b802f7cf31d2e8d2a13d3d&action=click

We have used cables that were dog runs, but pigs chewed through it, use a good chain or cable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#16]
IMHO Hogs love peanut butter above everything else.  If you bury some in a hole in the ground hogs will dig to China to get it.
So far only things I've seen hogs refuse to eat are raw potato and banana peel.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO Hogs love peanut butter above everything else.  If you bury some in a hole in the ground hogs will dig to China to get it.
So far only things I've seen hogs refuse to eat are raw potato and banana peel.
View Quote
Ours won't eat Banana peel but they love to roll on them. They don't like yellow squash either unless it's cooked. Now sweet potatoes are a different story.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Make a roller barrel or two, I’ll try to post a pic below. 35 or 55 gallon plastic barrel. Just a few 1/2” holes drilled here and there (not too many) figure out some way to tether to a chain or steel cable attached to a t-post or tree. Fill with 2 or 3 bags of corn. Once they find it they will spend hours wearing it out and cows won’t.  And use a swivel somewhere in your attachment.

You can see two in this pic from one of my sets

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
So I got so much good advice here I want to update.

As I have a bunch of 4" PVC I plan to make a few pig pipes out of that. I will also bury some fermented corn and try some liquid bait called Pig Out from Academy.

I am going to setup a game camera there also but I don't want to take mine off my front gate so plan to buy a new one with a built in viewer.

Will report back with results. Thanks!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got my first one in my trap Saturday night....200#er,  used peanut butter...man was he pissed so i shot him 4 times in the head with a 9mm
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#21]
We have a couple feeders on timers on our farm. Pigs come running like it's a dinner bell. You can walk out and sit down 5 minutes before it goes off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top