Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2022 9:49:01 AM EDT
Want to get back into hiking.  Looking at the Hill People Kit bag -   do you need a holster inside of these?  I've ready that the Snubby will just fit a G19 without needing a holster, but if you to a bigger bag, like the original, you need a velcro holster.   Any recommendations as to if these products are useful while hiking?  I'd also have a backpack, so only looking to CCW inside the kit bag.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#1]
No holster required. There is a loop on the inside of the pistol compartment for tethering a kydex trigger-guard-guard, or small holster if you like, for extra trigger protection, but that gets left behind on the draw.

I have an original, and have not found that my G19 gets re-oriented inside the compartment in any way whilst hiking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I use something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YK2NMH4?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_297CHGVMFT8XKS8ZY0TY

But it's probably not needed.  I just don't like things flopping around.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't worn the HPG, but use a raven concealment vanguard trigger guard with a tether of 550 that pulls it off when I draw. Use this in both a fanny pack and my bino pouch.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 11:44:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler426] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:
No holster required. There is a loop on the inside of the pistol compartment for tethering a kydex trigger-guard-guard, or small holster if you like, for extra trigger protection, but that gets left behind on the draw.
I have an original, and have not found that my G19 gets re-oriented inside the compartment in any way whilst hiking.
View Quote

+1
I have the SAR version. I use the Zaccharias Kydex trigger guard. Not that its needed or that the pistol moves around in the bag; but it adds a little more confidence in the carry.
A very well designed and constructed kit bag.  

I have one of the Runner's kit bag for a G43x and its just as good.  I haven't checked it for a revolver fit though.
Its a little smaller bag and might be more what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#5]
If you plan to carry the gun chambered, I would use something to at least cover the trigger.  I would worry something moving around or getting pulled in/out of the pocket in front of the gun's space could snag the trigger through the layer of fabric.  The smaller ones that just have the gun slot, maybe less of an issue.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:14:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m in the market for one of these currently and trying to decide between the original and the SAR.
Seems like the only difference is the SAR has the Velcro and the pals webbing on the front.

I’ll be carrying something like a G20 or possible a M&P 10mm and use a trigger guard tied to the bottom loop.

How are you guys liking the size for what your use is. Anyone care to post some pics to see how they size. Trying to decide between the medium and full size kits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By steve8140:
I’m in the market for one of these currently and trying to decide between the original and the SAR.
Seems like the only difference is the SAR has the Velcro and the pals webbing on the front.

I’ll be carrying something like a G20 or possible a M&P 10mm and use a trigger guard tied to the bottom loop.

How are you guys liking the size for what your use is. Anyone care to post some pics to see how they size. Trying to decide between the medium and full size kits.
View Quote

I had the full size for a bit, I run the Medium now. The Medium is great for a CZ P01, a fifteen round compact. My SP01 Tac with SRO will fit it as well surprisingly but I haven’t timed myself on any difference.

If I were to carry the bigger gun more often, or carry more stuff more often I’d likely size up. If you don’t hear too much feedback here then email HPG with your needs, they’ve always been responsive to me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the SAR chest rig. I think it’s their biggest and I don’t use a holster. I use this:

Amazon link

The 550 cord it comes with loops around an intrinsic loop in the chest pack. When I pull the gun it catches and pulls right off.

I’ve hiked with it all over the country with a G29 or G20 in it without ever feeling i needed a holster.

SAR by Hill People:

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/94

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I don’t use anything in mine. So long as there’s nothing else in with the pistol it’s seems impossible to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By blueheeler426:

+1
I have the SAR version. I use the Zaccharias Zacchaeus Kydex trigger guard. Not that its needed or that the pistol moves around in the bag; but it adds a little more confidence in the carry.
A very well designed and constructed kit bag.  

I have one of the Runner's kit bag for a G43x and its just as good.  I haven't checked it for a revolver fit though.
Its a little smaller bag and might be more what you're looking for.
View Quote

FIFY made by Dale Fricke Holsters
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I was using a mission first tactical trigger guard when I was carrying a G43. Now I'm searching for something similar to use with a G48 w/tlr7 sub. I dont wanna use a velcro holster, but I dont see anything kydex that will work with the light unless I use a full sized kydex holster and just remove the belt clip and add a lanyard to the bottom
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one of these for my G19 with tlr7a.  Works well in my kit bag. Service was great.  

https://pjholster.com/products/triggerguardholster
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cavkid101:
I got one of these for my G19 with tlr7a.  Works well in my kit bag. Service was great.  

View Quote

I use the runners kit bag for my G19.5 with RMR.  It I might be manatee color with little squares.  No molle.  Doesn’t seem to get a second look.  I also removed the HPG tag.  Great piece of gear!
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Damn, nothing for the G43x/48
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:26:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cavkid101] [#15]
Originally Posted By Spydermonkey:
Damn, nothing for the G43x/48
View Quote

There is “other- put request in notes” in the pull-down on at the very bottom of make

Or email Paul at [email protected].

I don’t know them but they may not have updated yet or could hook you up.  

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:39:09 PM EDT
[#16]

There is "other- put request in notes" in the pull-down on at the very bottom of make

I don't know them but they may not have updated yet or could hook you up.  

Good luck.  
View Quote
Good call. Emailed him and he'll make the holster.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Spydermonkey:
Good call. Emailed him and he'll make the holster.

Thanks
View Quote

Glad it worked.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:53:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ROCK6] [#18]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
If you plan to carry the gun chambered, I would use something to at least cover the trigger.  I would worry something moving around or getting pulled in/out of the pocket in front of the gun's space could snag the trigger through the layer of fabric.  The smaller ones that just have the gun slot, maybe less of an issue.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_Man:

First, I’ll address this.  This concern is brought up all the time, but there zero validity to the possibility of an ND or mysterious trigger pull; it’s literally no different then any other holster system and completely safe as long as you don’t have shit stored with your handgun in the back compartment area. Much of the concern is generated from those who have zero experience with this type of system and there are hundreds of thousands of carry hours to prove that there are not valid causes for that concern.  I’ve swam, trail-run, road-run, kayaked, bouldered, rappelled, mountain-biked (including some pretty spectacular crashes), and even did some dynamic drills during range training with it…most all of that was without a trigger guard or holster.  

Now, that said, I do use a trigger guard that can double as a minimalist IWB:

Originally Posted By M4rticus:
Haven't worn the HPG, but use a raven concealment vanguard trigger guard with a tether of 550 that pulls it off when I draw. Use this in both a fanny pack and my bino pouch.

The Vanguard is a good choice. My only two issues to using a trigger guard system were fishing and longer backpacking trips where we resupplied and stayed in town. I had my fly case in the middle pouch and when went to open it while I was leaning over, I ripped open the back and my handgun looked pretty close to falling out; the trigger guard provides a little retention safety.

The other cases are when we do longer backpack trips and at our age, we enjoy a little bed-and-breakfast stay in some of the smaller mountain towns every 3-4 days.  It’s nice to have a carry option outside of just the Kit Bag and something like the Raven Concealment allow a minimalist, weight-saving IWB option when the pack and Kit Bag are left in your B&B room.

There is “other- put request in notes” in the pull-down on at the very bottom of make

I don’t know them but they may not have updated yet or could hook you up.  

Good luck.  

Does anybody have a picture of his holster with a light? This is the only missing with may of the trigger guard holsters is that they aren't compatible with a light. I would love to get something compatible with both a G43 and P365 with TLR7...

When backpacking it's usually just old-school handheld techniques, but lately, I've been carrying the light separate while on the trial and as soon as I'm in the hammock, I attach the light and position my kit bag for fast access without the trigger guard.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I apologize for never posting a picture before and it is a little wonky.  I have only found a trigger guard type holster with a weapon mounted light on that website.  I think I may have drilled the hole to accommodate the 550 cord.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I apologize for never posting a picture before and it is a little wonky.  I have only found a trigger guard type holster with a weapon mounted light on that website.  I think I may have drilled the hole to accommodate the 550 cord.
View Quote

@cavkid101
Not wonky at all! Thanks a bunch for those pictures.  This is exactly what I need for carrying a light a trigger guard. Great find, and thanks for sharing!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't use a holster or anything additional even when carrying my Ruger LCP in my original size HPG kit bag.  Not an issue at all.  I would never carry anything in the same pouch as the handgun though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The Kit Bag is the holster.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#25]
I believe HPG indicates their bag "is" the holster and nothing more is needed, but I feel much more comfortable having a boltaron trigger guard on my Glock 20 to eliminate all concern.  It's cheap insurance and doubles as a retention device if the zipper works itself open.

UM Tactical Trigger Guards

Link Posted: 6/9/2022 11:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: powderhound] [#26]
I finally picked up a HPG kit bag this summer for carry while hiking and fly fishing. Thanks all for the recommendation! I love it thus far. For my M&P I got a trigger guard, but my 1911 I do not, the thumb safety on the 1911 gives me more confidence without the trigger guard.

Question related to carry while backpacking, I'm planning a backpacking trip out to the Wind River range this summer, and am planning on carrying in my Kit Bag. I know grizzlies are in the area, though I don't think their population is too large in the Winds. I don't plan on buying a new pistol for the trip (I know 10mm or a large bore revolver is generally preffered in bear country), but do plan on buying Buffalo Bore +P flat nosed hardcast ammunition. Should I carry a 9mm with 15 rounds plus a spare mag, or a .45 with only 8 and 1? I'll also have bear spray.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By powderhound:
I finally picked up a HPG kit bag this summer for carry while hiking and fly fishing. Thanks all for the recommendation! I love it thus far. For my M&P I got a trigger guard, but my 1911 I do not, the thumb safety on the 1911 gives me more confidence without the trigger guard.

Question related to carry while backpacking, I'm planning a backpacking trip out to the Wind River range this summer, and am planning on carrying in my Kit Bag. I know grizzlies are in the area, though I don't think their population is too large in the Winds. I don't plan on buying a new pistol for the trip (I know 10mm or a large bore revolver is generally preffered in bear country), but do plan on buying Buffalo Bore +P flat nosed hardcast ammunition. Should I carry a 9mm with 15 rounds plus a spare mag, or a .45 with only 8 and 1? I'll also have bear spray.
View Quote

I don't have any first hand experience other than half a dozen or so hunting trips to CO and MT, but I usually leaned for the lighter weight pistol as I always had my rifle with me.  I would be in the same boat as you caliber wise so if I wasn't carrying a rifle in actual bear country I would have to settle for my 1911.  

When I was bow hunting in northern CO I carried my 9mm PT709 slim which is a smaller single stack with 7 rounds.

When I was in MT I also carried bear spray on my belt.

We talked to several different local hunters in MT some would say don't bother with a pistol if your carrying a rifle, bear spray is the best.  Others would say fuck bear spray I only carry a large caliber handgun.  Some would say why bother with anything else if I am carrying a rifle...
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#28]
I used a cheap Amazon chest rig for about 5 years and I sewed a cheap pocket holster inside to make it work, i recently bought a
Diamond D Outdoors chest holster and it was well worth the money.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Ex_Sanguine_Nation:

View Quote

This is the way I’ve done it for a few years now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CAJva:
I use one of these with my HPG kit bag.

https://www.maxpedition.com/products/sneak-universal-holster-insert-with-mag-retention

View Quote

Same here.  Works well.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:44:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#31]
I use a kydex trigger guard cover on a loop of paracord.  IIRC it was an option to add it on the site when purchasing the kit bag. Works well. A minimalist kydex IWB holster works well too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I tried a hpg kit bag, then switched to a lighter option.
I put a Velcro patch in a triangle shaped bag from bag
Then used a Velcro holster.
More room less weight.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:08:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePreparer] [#33]
None of yall who use something feel less safe with something in the bag?

What happens if the trigger guard becomes dislodged, or the paracord gets wrapped around the trigger? Then you have INTRODUCED something that can be dangerous.

If you feel that the trigger guard WONT come off and its safe, then you are trusting it, and that leads be to believe you should trust the BAG to begin with.

"You're afraid your trigger will somehow be pressed in the bag, so you're gonna put something in the bag with the gun that could potentially press the trigger?"
"Nah that wont happen, its safe"
"That's what we're telling you about the bag in the first place"

See what I mean.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Those trigger guards “snap” over the trigger. It takes a bit of force to get them off. They won’t just fall off in the bag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
As mentioned; kydex trigger guard, tethered to the loop in the HPG intended specifically for that purpose. When you draw, the kydex trigger guard stays in the HPG.

Last thing you want is an ND/AD from something poking the trigger on a Glock on your chest (and all manner of things could cause that, including a fall. No one plans to fall, but shit happens).
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#36]

I use the runners kit bag for my G19.5 with RMR.  It I might be manatee color with little squares.  No molle.  Doesn’t seem to get a second look.  I also removed the HPG tag.  Great piece of gear!
View All Quotes

Yup. I got the gray Runner's specifically because it has no Moller and doesn't look Tacticool. Doesn't draw a 2nd glance from normies.

The only folks who've acknowledged it are the occasional 2A types who'll look at it, and give a slight nod.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#37]
So where can you get some of this HPG action? Their site is constantly out of stock....
About to go a different way
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 7:52:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m_lowlander:
So where can you get some of this HPG action? Their site is constantly out of stock....
About to go a different way
View Quote

https://www.optactical.com/hpgrukitbag.html

Ranger green and another color in stock. They have a few other bags listed but didn’t see if they were in stock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I use a Vanguard trigger guard tied to the loop inside my HPG.  Draw my weapon and it pops off and stays inside the chest pack.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 9:12:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#40]

View All Quotes

I realize this is an older thread.

The Medium Runners Kit Bag is perfect sized for a G20.

The bag itself is easy to size to a body and do work with while wearing.
Attachment Attached File

ETA:  

Just ordered one of these so I can throw a light on it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I use the Dale Fricks Zacchaeus holster to keep the trigger guard covered.  It's tied off to the loop inside the pistol compartment.  Works well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By hcrum87hc:
I use the Dale Fricks Zacchaeus holster to keep the trigger guard covered.  It's tied off to the loop inside the pistol compartment.  Works well.
View Quote

After reading Rock’s post I did a light amount of research and ditched my trigger guard. Carried through some difficult terrain without issue and now have no worries about a ND.
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I use a kydex trigger guard made by @goodmedicine inside my HPG bag.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By FDC:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_1772_jpg-2683505.JPG

ETA:  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/99516/IMG_1772_jpg-2683505.JPG

ETA:  

To update, TLR 1HL is on and I got the holster in from Paul.  It fits perfectly as is.

The only problem is I'm using the Medium Runner's Kit Bag so there isn't much room.  I prefer carrying with the muzzle angled down as it is easier to draw without snagging the bottom of the bag if that makes sense.

Unmodified, the zipper would not close as the rear of the slide would stick out.

Solution.  Take my brand new holster and apply my masterful skills with a pair of dykes, an eight in one file, and a heat gun.  Drill a new hole and all fits perfectly with the extra material at the front removed.  

Unmodified and then modified.  Now I have a much more capable woods gun.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#45]
What sized bag for a 1911? Full or medium?
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 4:50:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyG] [#46]
Originally Posted By last_crusader:
What sized bag for a 1911? Full or medium?
View Quote

I went with the Heavy Recon Kit Bag - full for my 5" 1911s

ETA:

I'm using PJHolster's triggerguard attached to a velcro morale patch backer loop from All Day Ruckoff

https://pjholster.com/t/trigger-guard-holster

https://alldayruckoff.com/store/gear/lfup/

Link Posted: 9/7/2023 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#47]
You don't need a holster, but I won't carry in one without a kydex trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#48]
I’ve been using a HPG Heavy Recon for about a month now.  I’ve carried: Glock 19 with RMR+TLR; Glock 26 with RMRcc; HK P30S with TLR; HK45 with RMR+TLR all without a holster.

In fact, I wore it today while cycling.

They’re comfortable and versatile.
Link Posted: 9/26/2023 8:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bmw20] [#49]
Just came across this thread….I’m sure OP has figured out something that works for him, but in case anyone stumbles across this thread while looking for options, this is what I ended up doing:

I like to be able to quickly switch between the kit bag and back to AIWB when I come off the water or out of the woods, so I just use my Tenicor inside the kit bag. That way, I always have my holster with me and don’t have to unholster / reholster. A little 550 cord, a small piece of kydex, and some industrial Velcro. Works perfect to keep the holster in the kit bag when I draw.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2023 9:03:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Do any hpg packs hold a large revolver like a 357 or a 44 super RedHawk. I cannot find any pictures on fitment.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top