Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2022 12:48:12 PM EDT
I'm approaching retirement and want to take up hiking and [perhaps] rucking.  

Hiking will be wooded trails mostly in MO.  Some inclines, some rocky.  

I know nothing about boots so am looking for recommendations.  

I'd rather buy once and cry once but don't need to pay extra just because some logo is on the box.  

I have somewhat flat feet [so I am told] so boots that address that or aftermarket insert recommendations are welcome.  

Not knowing keeps me from being able to ask more specific questions.

Any guidance will be welcome.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Salomon XA Pro 3D work well for me for both trail and everyday use. Then Salomon X Ultra Mids for snowshoeing, moderate cold weather hiking, running to the store when there is snow on the ground.

I have flat feet and overpronate.

A podiatrist can evaluate your feet and give a referral for custom insoles. This can help get insurance to pay.

Superfeet insoles are good off the shelf inserts. You will need to know if you overpronate or supinate to determine which type to use.
Personally I stopped using aftermarket insoles and just wear what comes in the Salomon's. My sister who has as flat of feet as I do uses custom made insoles and says it makes a world of difference in walking and not having sore feet and ankles.

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You’re REALLY going to have to spend an hour or 2 in a good sporting goods or shoe store with employees who know shoes and feet, and just try on everything in your size and 1/2 size either way. Cabela’s, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain probably don’t count. Wear the socks you’ll hike in. We can all tell you what works for us, which would be great if you had the exact same feet and we did the exact same things. My advice? Hit REI and take advantage of their return policy to wear and use them long enough to tell if they’re right for your feet. Once you find something, return it and buy from someone less woke. Try out insoles the same way.

Don’t focus on just boots, if your ankles aren’t wrecked hiking shoes and trail runners are at least as good for everything but deep snow and steep off-trail use with heavy loads.

Don’t wear cheap socks, get a few pairs of Darn Tough, Smartwool, Wigwam, etc. Keep the hiking socks just for hiking.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Keens for my wife flat feet
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I've hiked a couple of hundred miles on the AT, including some rocky stretches in PA.

I'd advise against hiking boots and in favor of trail runners like Altra or Topo Athletic. They are light weight, very breathable, and dry relatively quickly when wet.

Look at what thru-hikers are wearing on the AT, CDT and PCT...not many are wearing boots these days.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Flat footer here.

My feet are so flat, stepping on concrete with wet feet leaves a print of the whole foot, without any indent at the arch

Also used to get plantar fascitis a couple times a year because of it, until I strengthened my arches.

That said, especially with backpacking and hiking with a load, I use Footchair Orthotics insoles.

I like that they're adjustable. Not enough arch support? Increase the number of arch inserts.

*** flat footers usually pronate, as the ankle rolls towards the inside due to the lack of arch support/strength.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 6:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Go see a podiatrist and have him examine your feet.

Then decide what course of action to take based on his recommendation.

Doing anything else before having an examination is not helping your problem.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flat footer here.

My feet are so flat, stepping on concrete with wet feet leaves a print of the whole foot, without any indent at the arch

Also used to get plantar fascitis a couple times a year because of it, until I strengthened my arches.

That said, especially with backpacking and hiking with a load, I use Footchair Orthotics insoles.

I like that they're adjustable. Not enough arch support? Increase the number of arch inserts.

*** flat footers usually pronate, as the ankle rolls towards the inside due to the lack of arch support/strength.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZD3XZ7
View Quote

how did you strengthen your arches?  

Thanks

@bluemax_1
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys, good stuff here!

I should expand my options to hiking shoes and trail runners.

Any recommendations in that direction?
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like my Oboz Sawtooth II Low. Bonus is they actually come with decent insoles that work well with my flat feet. To me they seem to be just a little wide (I wear wide), and don’t really lock my heels in place all the time. I may try regular width sometime.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#10]
For those who use hiking shoes and trail runners, how do you keep rocks from flipping into the lower top?  I have this problem when I use regular tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

For those who use hiking shoes and trail runners, how do you keep rocks from flipping into the lower top?  I have this problem when I use regular tennis shoes.
View Quote

Gaiters. I have Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain Low gaiters, they go to about mid-shin and you can get them to seal fairly tightly around your shoes. They’re waterproof but won’t keep water out from between the gaiter and shoe. It won’t rush in as fast as without gaiters, though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can use dirty girl gaiters to keep debris out of the shoe.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks

@bluemax_1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Flat footer here.

www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZD3XZ7

Thanks

@bluemax_1

@Deuskid

Whoops. Literally just saw the @ when I clicked on 'Messages' (I think the @  notifications are for paid memberships only?).

I began by using a tennis ball. Not rolling it, like trying to massage the soles of the feet, but flexing the muscles in the arch, as if I was trying to palm (foot?)/pick up the tennis ball.

I then began minimalist/barefoot running (Vibram FiveFingers and VivoBarefoot shoes). The transition to minimalist/barefoot style running (a mid-forefoot strike, much higher cadence, around 180bpm) needs to be done gradually, to avoid injury before your body adapts.

Most of the injuries result from experienced runners who are used to running 10-15 miles, refusing to take it easy for the transition. I literally started with doing just one mile per run for a week, before very gradually increasing the distance.

I went from havibg at least one, and commonly two episodes of plantar fascitis every year (which usually led to ankle/knee issues from the compensation), to not having had plantar fascitis in years, since switching to barefoot/minimalist running. Also haven't had shinsplints from running since the switch (one common cause of shinsplints is heelstriking. The muscle on the front of the shin is still contracted and pulling the foot/toes up, when it's trying to counter the huge leverage of the heelstrike trying to slap your foot to the ground).
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

@Deuskid

Whoops. Literally just saw the @ when I clicked on 'Messages' (I think the @  notifications are for paid memberships only?).

I began by using a tennis ball. Not rolling it, like trying to massage the soles of the feet, but flexing the muscles in the arch, as if I was trying to palm (foot?)/pick up the tennis ball.

I then began minimalist/barefoot running (Vibram FiveFingers and VivoBarefoot shoes). The transition to minimalist/barefoot style running (a mid-forefoot strike, much higher cadence, around 180bpm) needs to be done gradually, to avoid injury before your body adapts.

Most of the injuries result from experienced runners who are used to running 10-15 miles, refusing to take it easy for the transition. I literally started with doing just one mile per run for a week, before very gradually increasing the distance.

I went from havibg at least one, and commonly two episodes of plantar fascitis every year (which usually led to ankle/knee issues from the compensation), to not having had plantar fascitis in years, since switching to barefoot/minimalist running. Also haven't had shinsplints from running since the switch (one common cause of shinsplints is heelstriking. The muscle on the front of the shin is still contracted and pulling the foot/toes up, when it's trying to counter the huge leverage of the heelstrike trying to slap your foot to the ground).
View Quote

@ bluemax_1

Thanks for the explanation.  

Great Info.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2022 8:48:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve rucked a lot for fun.  There’s no perfect shoe for everyone.  REI has a great return policy.   Wear some Darn Tough socks to the store and get fitted on there machine.  Try shoes till you find one that’s comfortable.  It may be a trail runner.  It may be a boot.  

I’ve had lots of shoes.  Some were good at a lower weight but gave me blisters with higher weight.  Some have me blisters at a faster pace or over different terrain.  

Buy them, use them a lot, return them if they don’t work.  

For example I had a pair of goretex Northface Trail Runners with a vibram sole.  They felt like walking with comfortable tanks on your feet.   They weren’t bothered by rocks or rough terrain but they would give me blisters on the bottom of my heel at the very back that I couldn’t solve.  I tried different socks, tape, how to tie the laces but they gave me blisters.   I returned them after 6 months for some Solomans that didn’t feel as solid as the vibrams but didn’t give me blisters have 8 miles.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 4:29:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It’s worth your time to learn up on feet and your feet

These help my pronation and arch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045E5KB6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top