Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2020 2:29:43 AM EDT
Looking for a good pair of hiking boots. I have a pair of Salomon's, I really liked my first pair. This pair not so much. I'm looking to upgrade to something stiffer. Crispi Crossover, Salewa  MTN Trainers and Lowa Renegade or Zephyr. Any input would be helpful, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know about the Renegade, but I have a pair of Lowa GTX Mid's that are amazing.  The best hiking boot I've ever had (and I've had Asolo, Merrill, and several others).  When they die I'll be running out to buy another pair.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Asolo
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Dayhikes, backpacking, stroll in the wood?

Terrain?  Waterproof?  Hightop?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes to the first 3. Also wanting to get involved with the American Pioneer Corps.

Waterproof would be handy. Terrain wise, some pavement, gravel and woods, dirt paths with rocks and tree roots above ground. I live in Missouri. Not many mountains around here lol.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes to the first 3. Also wanting to get involved with the American Pioneer Corps.

Waterproof would be handy. Terrain wise, some pavement, gravel and woods, dirt paths with rocks and tree roots above ground. I live in Missouri. Not many mountains around here lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Backpackers usually prefer a stiff soled boot with ankle support, dayhikers prefer lightweight and flexible- hightop or low.

A real backpacking boot can wear on you after a few miles when you don't need its benefits.  I've never owned a 'real' backpacking boot- too heavy!  I currently have Solomon for heavy packs, and I wear approach shoes/boots for everything else.  I like my La Sportive approach shoes so much they're pretty much all I wear anymore, whether I'm hiking or not.  I'm wearing them right now at work.    They're not waterproof, or even water resistant, so I also have some Salewa hightop approach shoes/boots for when it's wet.

I'm not a fan of the cheaper boots like Merrills, they're ok but we have some serious terrain, and having a boot disassemble itself 10 miles (and 3,000' elevation) from your car isn't something I want to chance.

Any of the names mentioned already are going to be good if you can get the fit right.  All the big makers' boots will fit a little differently, so what works for me might not work for you.  Do you have an REI nearby?  They usually do a good job fitting a boot to your foot; they have at least some training in it.  

For me, I'm very happy using approach shoes/boots for everything I don't feel like I need a heavy boot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX Hiking Boot and i love them. They are very light, have a great sole, and have the perfect support for my needs.

I should qualify this statement by saying that my longest hike in them thus far is the Mt. Marcy summit hike (15 miles, 3500ft elevation change). I regularly hike 6 to 8 miles in a day with them though. Youll notice that the grip on the sole is very spikey. this is great for most terrain except slippery rocks. I know this because i was being a dumbass at Rickett's Glenn and almost fell down one of the smaller waterfalls (like 6 ft) haha

you can find them for about $140 if you shop hard enough.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#7]
In all my years of climbing and mtneering, I’ve tried them all . Unfortunately boots are made for a specific job: hike( light weight) approach, side hill, heavy packs, and technical to name a few.  Majority of boot manufacturers sucks!  If I had to choose one boot to rule them all....... Crispi.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Danner.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Boots on sale today: https://www.camofire.com/index.php/

Maybe here too: Steep&Cheap
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Boots on sale today: https://www.camofire.com/index.php/

Maybe here too: Steep&Cheap
View Quote

The one weekend I don't check my email. Camofire had a really good deal on Sikta stuff.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My feet like Keens. I’m about done with my Targhee II mid height waterproof hikers. They have been so comfortable this year. They were already broken in and I have hiked 28 Adirondack mountains since May. But the traction is worn down so much that I’m loosing my traction on wet bald scrambles. I’m replacing them with a low cut Keen Targhee III. You build up your calf/ankle strength so you don’t need high boot support. I went with the waterproof again, because I encounter a lot of puddles that are almost to the laces, and I can charge right through them without soaking a sock. I know they aren’t the “best” but they are great for my feet. They have a sale on their website but I think it ends tonight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Asolo
View Quote

x1000

check out sierra.com, they usually have them discounted
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I still wear my 10-year-old Sportivas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Keens aren't flashy, but they're SUPER comfortable.

I have a pair of waterproof, insulated keens, and I could wear them all day, every day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#15]
The pair that fits your foot best. I did the AT and a chunk through Alberta and BC in some Asolos, Crispis were CDT from NM through Wyoming. Kennetrek are good too. It really depends on climate and terrain.  If you're doing long treks you want something relatively light but tough, if you're in a temperate climate you need waterproof... Find the boot that fits well first, then th the features to match where you are or where you're going. My Asolos had over 1500 miles before finally giving out
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

x1000

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asolo

x1000

Fugitives. Light on the feet, great traction and support, and very durable.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I use my Red Wing Iron Rangers for hiking, which is mainly day hikes. They are broken in and fit my feet well. I also use padded wool socks.

This combo served me well this past week especially since I spent the week hiking all over lake tahoe including a large portion of the Rubicon Trail.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]
More boots on sale.

No opinion on any of them, and whether the "sale" is a good deal or not isn't something I researched.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
My Asolos wore out.  I bought a pair of Danner TFX’s.

I like them. Didn’t need any break in other than taking the tongues and bending them back and forth a bit to get the leather squeak out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top