Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2021 12:05:47 PM EDT
After a twenty year hiatus of fly fishing, I decided next spring should be a good goal to get back into the game.  Problem is that I memory holed darn near everything about the practice.  Tbh I'm so new I don't even know what questions I should be asking

I plan to go for panfish from a small canoe (sitting down) in mainly small lakes/ponds fwiw.  Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Redington Classic Trout. 8’6” 4 weight should do it. Don’t go overboard on a reel, at that weight it’s only a line holder.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:
Redington Classic Trout. 8’6” 4 weight should do it. Don’t go overboard on a reel, at that weight it’s only a line holder.
View Quote

Thank you!  I have to admit its a bit overwhelming trying to restart a pastime after a couple decades, but I figure I'll have all winter to figure out the nuances I forgot
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 6:06:42 AM EDT
[#3]
dynamite is easier to learn to light than to use a flyrod.. jus sayin
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 7:10:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Downtrodden:

Thank you!  I have to admit its a bit overwhelming trying to restart a pastime after a couple decades, but I figure I'll have all winter to figure out the nuances I forgot
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's like riding a bicycle as they say.

Be aware that with last years Covid and bullshit coupled with a lot more people in and getting back in the game, gear can be hard to find due to short supply. Be patient. Look around and find the deals.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Be aware that with last years Covid and bullshit coupled with a lot more people in and getting back in the game, gear can be hard to find due to short supply. Be patient. Look around and find the deals.
View All Quotes

Will do!  Is St. Croix still a decent brand?  That was my original pole, and it turns out there's a sale soon at my local shop
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Will do!  Is St. Croix still a decent brand?  That was my original pole, and it turns out there's a sale soon at my local shop
View All Quotes

St. Croix has cut way back on its fly rod offerings.

Yes, they're okay, but in the event of a warranty claim there could be issues. I would make sure the one you're looking at is still offered by St. Croix.

Trust me, the Redington is one of the best bangs for the buck and they have a lifetime warranty. It should sell for much more than it does.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 1:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Downtrodden] [#7]

Yes, they're okay, but in the event of a warranty claim there could be issues. I would make sure the one you're looking at is still offered by St. Croix.

Trust me, the Redington is one of the best bangs for the buck and they have a lifetime warranty. It should sell for much more than it does.
View All Quotes

Good to know, much appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
If you have a Bass Pro nearby, go look at their White River combos, not real expensive and will have everything you need to get started. I would go with a 5wt to start, little easier to cast
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you married to fly fishing? When I'm targeting panfish I built a specific spinning rig with a 7'6" St.Croix rod, Shimano Vanford 500 reel, 2# test, and generally throwing Trout Magnets in various sizes and colors.

I'll have days when just about every cast is a strike.

Also have a similar setup with a Vanford 1000 and 4 lb test I'll target larger fish with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top