Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2020 9:11:18 PM EDT
I bought a Kenwood TM281 about 2 years ago and never did anything with it.  Ultimately I'd like to be able to set it up in my house, but be able to plug it into my truck as well.

I'm at a complete loss as to what else I need.  I think I'm looking for an inexpensive power supply (25 to 30A?) and an antenna for right now so I can scan the local repeaters until I take my license test.

Can you guys recommend a power supply and antenna for me?
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard!

The TM281 draws 15 Amps max at high power, so any power supply greater than this will be okay. Astron SS-18 or MFJ-4115 are two possibilities.

As for an antenna, since you also plan to operate mobile, get a mag mount 19" whip and put it on top of any metal cabinet or refrigerator. If you have room in the attic and metal AC ducts, you can stick it on them. This will be temporary until you get your license and are ready to transmit.

You could also make an antenna. Click HERE.

Ham Radio Outlet is one dealer: https://www.hamradio.com/
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Antenna depends on where/what you can mount it to.    Specs say 14a max draw on transmit, so a 20a supply should work.  Amazon, eBay or some HAM supplier like DXengineering etc
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Another DIY antenna from one of our guys: LINK
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Good answers so far. Welcome in, the 281 is a great radio!

If you'd like you can Check out my start here notes, maybe they'll help too!?
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Kinda depends on budget.  There are some cheaper options for power supplies, but the Samlex 1223 is a stalwart of the amateur radio community. I'll also be enough for a future HF radio if that comes to pass.

Tram 1480 is a good base antenna, about 8 feet tall if that's not too big. It's readily available, last I knew you could get it drop shipped to a local Wal Mart for a little over $50.  

Tram 1477 is a little lower performance, but only 44 inches tall so lower impact.

Both of those are actually dual band 2m/70cm antennas so ready for future expansion to 70cm.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I recently got an Astron SS-25 off of eBay for $60 shipped and I removed the binding posts off the back and 3D printed a power pole bulkhead for the back and use it for portable + genset operations.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:48:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I use the 30 amp Samlex power supply mounted in the 2m base Samlex case to also power the rest of the station:

If you get the case only, without a power supply, the 30 AMP model will fit.
Samlex sent me the engineering drawings for the 30 AMP supply and figured out it would fit without issue.
The cases are sold with smaller (ampwise) power supplies.

Love me a TM-281A!

I use it for voice, packet and Winlink. Regular ethernet cables are used for the Signalink connection.
Caught great deal on this one, $99 new at MTC on a one day only sale.
UHF is pretty dead around here, so the 281 does everything I need.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
For quick install/removal interoperability between truck and home-you should really consider modifying your radio’s power cord with Anderson power pole connectors.  

Add a pigtail cord on you truck’s battery with Anderson power pole connectors.  

That way you could unplug your radio from your vehicle on the quick.  

Take it inside and plug your power pole terminal connectors into the corresponding power pole connectors from your power supply.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For quick install/removal interoperability between truck and home-you should really consider modifying your radio’s power cord with Anderson power pole connectors.  

Add a pigtail cord on you truck’s battery with Anderson power pole connectors.  

That way you could unplug your radio from your vehicle on the quick.  

Take it inside and plug your power pole terminal connectors into the corresponding power pole connectors from your power supply.  

View Quote

This! Anderson Power Poles have to be the best invention since sliced bread.
Get the installation tool, too. It's worth it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kinda depends on budget.  There are some cheaper options for power supplies, but the Samlex 1223 is a stalwart of the amateur radio community. I'll also be enough for a future HF radio if that comes to pass.

Tram 1480 is a good base antenna, about 8 feet tall if that's not too big. It's readily available, last I knew you could get it drop shipped to a local Wal Mart for a little over $50.  

Tram 1477 is a little lower performance, but only 44 inches tall so lower impact.

Both of those are actually dual band 2m/70cm antennas so ready for future expansion to 70cm.
View Quote

I'm going to have to see what the rules are under my HOA for antennas before I buy something.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This! Anderson Power Poles have to be the best invention since sliced bread.
Get the installation tool, too. It's worth it.

https://www.cumulus-soaring.com/misc/AndersonPowerpole/AndersonPowerpoleOverview.jpg
View Quote

Do you prefer those over this  type?

Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121251351255-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
View Quote

Every Day
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Every Day
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every Day

for every reason. The SAE connectors are meh. Andersons are great, much better design.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I love that you can get different colors. I have color coded antenna wires, say to add an 80m extensions to a 40m OCFD for field work. All my radio grounds use green ones, as does my generator, makes setting up a ground system in the field a breeze. I keep a 25ft roll of 14ga zipcord with connectors on each end in my go bag. If I need a long extension it's ready, if I need a short one I only have to put on one set in the field.

I'd get the actual installation tool. Personally I don't like the replaceable jaw type. My DX Engineering crimpers always seem to have the wrong jaws. If you buy the right size pins you can solder them if you don't want to crimp them, easy to reuse them that way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to see what the rules are under my HOA for antennas before I buy something.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the HOA just hide it as best you can.

My HOA says no TV antennas on the roof.

Ok then, it's not a TV antenna and it aint on the roof. Says nothing about a 50 ft mast towering over the house with 6 wires coming off of it.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Depending on the HOA just hide it as best you can.

My HOA says no TV antennas on the roof.

Ok then, it's not a TV antenna and it aint on the roof. Says nothing about a 50 ft mast towering over the house with 6 wires coming off of it.  LOL
View Quote

No slow scan TV for you!
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I terms of supplies, yes, budget is a thing. Get a supply that's good enough for 35 amps or so, then you will be set for an HF radio too.

ETA: If out door antennas are forbidden then for VHF and/or UHF look into the Ventenna It hides very well. I too have a TM 271, great radio.
Rob
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you guys all for the replies. I have a power supply and a magnetic base whip antenna in the mail.  I need to start studying again for the test.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes! Definitely!
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:22:09 AM EDT
[#21]
If the HOA Nazis say outdoor antennas are verboten, there are all kinds of stealthy ways to get around them. LINK

Back during WW2, MI6 spies used small low power sets to communicate from enemy territory back to Bletchley Park. Their antennas had to be stealthy -- or else it was a Luger to the back of the head.

"Paraset", 1 tube 5 Watt transmitter, 2 tube regenerative receiver. It could load just about any kind of antenna.

After the war, many Novices started out with just such configurations. The electronics magazines were full of plans on how to make them -- often from parts stripped from defunct radios and TVs.
Early hams were the original hackers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top