Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2021 11:59:59 PM EDT
I saw one of these in a utube video, and thought it was pretty dang cool. I suppose I would have to put up a proper HF antenna, and not just a long wire tossed over a tree to get the most out of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for starting this thread - I am very interested in getting one of these or perhaps the Airspy.  Comments about dedicated antennas would be much appreciated.  My back yard is kinda full right now and I’m somewhat limited on what I can add.  What success are people having?  Looking at adding as much listening capability as I can...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't used one but that is supposed to be one of the better ones for HF and general listening.

The Airspy and RSPdx models have preselect filtering to reduce noise and front-end overload. If you were near a broadcast station or otherwise in a high-RF environment that would probably be helpful, but for most the RSP1a is likely going to be just fine.

Something to be aware of is that all the SDRplay units are pretty much a pain to get working on Linux or apparently Mac, but if you're a Windows user you should be good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I own one of the RSP1A receivers and live within 5 miles of a 50,000 watt AM broadcast station. Zero issues with front end overload or birdies with the SDRPlay.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own one of the RSP1A receivers and live within 5 miles of a 50,000 watt AM broadcast station. Zero issues with front end overload or birdies with the SDRPlay.
View Quote

What are you using for an antenna?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This what I use. It's a ZS6BKW at about 40' in an inverted V configuration.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:...Something to be aware of is that all the SDRplay units are pretty much a pain to get working on Linux or apparently Mac, but if you're a Windows user you should be good.
View Quote
Glad it's not just me.

I have an RTL-SDR that was easy to get working on my Linux machine, but I couldn't get it to run under W-7.

I have an SDRPlay RSPDuo and it was easy to get working on the W-7 machine, but I couldn't get it to run under Linux.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/ZS6BKW_jpg-1786186.JPG

This what I use. It's a ZS6BKW at about 40' in an inverted V configuration.
View Quote

Thank you for sharing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top