Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2019 3:42:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have the money, for sure
What kind of maintenance would the bike need? How long can it just sit there unattended?
Would the bike cost $5k?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
In LA, a motorcycle in such a horrible event would make you a target fast. If you do not have lots of dirt bike riding experience, being older and starting a journey in such conditions would be a bad combination, just from the crash hazard.

A TW200 is light, agile, and capable if you don’t have years of single track experience. If you do have years of single track experience you’ll have something else in mind already.

I’d consider your physical fitness and if possible considering, get a mountain bike.

Absolutely a PVS-14 and a bump helmet would be a big bonus regardless of transportation, or lack there of.

Water could soon be your biggest issue.

Do you park your truck in a parking garage that may make it and its contents inaccessible if collapsed in an earthquake?

Some N95 dust masks may be worth having too.

Remember when all else fails you can walk, but unless your feet are accustomed to it you’ll be in a world of hurt.

Your best bet if maintaining peak physical fitness and a wad of cash, plus water and the other supplies.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be concerned about the security of my stuff in a storage unit.

If the power was out, could you gain access to  it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the TW200 would be a great option then
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I keep my DRZ400 for emergency use mostly. Great to have options
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Gas lasts a long time. I'd probably just take the thing home and swap out all the fluid yearly. Get a spare battery and stop by the unit every month or 3 and swap it out. Obviously you'd want to test it often at first so you could get a baseline on how fast it is discharging.

I like the idea of bringing/storing every single thing you think would be useful. That isn't realistic though. Also what all will you pack on the bike? How strong are you? I think a light nimble dual sport might be a little more handy than a big lumbering type.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
At the first milli-second of things going down-hill get out of town as  fast as possible via non-major roads.

Once a panic sets in getting out will be highly problematic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:35:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey Taft, ref. your initial post & the question on rifle/shotgun or just handgun, I'm not familiar with your laws
out your way, I know there were some changes the last few yrs.  What are your thoughts on an AR pistol w/a
basic optic? The way prices are right now, there are some great deals out there. Would that be something that
would work for you?

Obviously in a true SHTF situation, mag. restrictions will not be a concern, but even up to that point, with restrictions,
it's still a great weapon IMO.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 6:48:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its a fair question.  Key to the lock is easy, getting out might be an issue.  Emergency gate egress via bolt cutters ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would be concerned about the security of my stuff in a storage unit.

If the power was out, could you gain access to  it?
Its a fair question.  Key to the lock is easy, getting out might be an issue.  Emergency gate egress via bolt cutters ?
I think you would have to research the automatic gate mechanism and figure out an emergency release to get in and out if the power is out
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am thinking civil unrest is real factor followed by major earthquake (roads disrupted) or an EMP type of event.
View Quote
Im thinking you are obsessing too much

civil unrest=takes some kind of trigger, be aware of the trigger and you wont get caught in it. Its also localized, not a wide scale event
EMP= wouldn't even consider it
Earthquake= a likely event, your truck wont get you anywhere.

I would just keep a mountainbike stashed somewhere + a BoB
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you are good with just a handgun provided you can reliably hit with it at 100yds and it allows for grayman and you look like less of a threat to onlookers.
I have had to many ICE vehicles go bad sitting to trust one left in a cache.
I have a customer with a trek electric bike that is bad ass and gets 100 miles on a battery. I think I would get one and a few extra batteries so you can ride quietly at night with your NVGs. Just make it a permanent fixture in the back of your covered secured truck. No need to make it to your cache that may be in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have been interested in the 4 cycle "minibikes" they are selling at various big box stores in my area.  (Walmart, Sams, Tractor Supply, etc)  They come assembled, but with a dry engine that is basically a lawn mower engine complete with pull cord starter.  When I was contemplating taking a job with an hour commute I made a plan similar to yours but with a minibike instead of a dirt bike.  The minibike seems better for long term storage, just put it on a block so the tires are off the ground and keep a tire pump, some gas and engine oil with it.  Cycle the gas once a year and no need to worry about batteries.  I am pretty sure a pull start carburated engine will still work even in the unlikely event of an EMP.

Most of the minibikes come with cargo racks so you could carry some extra gas and other supplies.  If you find terrain you can't ride through you should able carry the dang thing a short distance to get past the obstacle.  Also one can easily fit inside your regular vehicle (I know you have a truck, so not a big a deal vs a dirt bike or non-folding bicycle) so you could start your bugout with your regular vehicle then switch to the minibike if that become non-viable.  Downside is they can be loud, but you can upgrade the muffler.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 7:42:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Id add a  paper road atlas to allow navigation , no batteries to change, no way an EMP will fry it, and while slower than a GPS it is pretty easy to get various routes. and some method of affixing dirctions to your bike so you can not lose your route while driving/riding.

i think that you might wanna map out routes home that are non bridge dependant, my old home town did a 7.0 earthquake and fully 50% of the roads in and out of town were closed due to bridge damage/HUGE sinkholes, and others were reduced to one lane by BOT for several days a 10 mile commute was an 8 hour proposition. People had no idea about alternate routes and combined that with actually limited roads... apparently a large portion of gas stations were shut down to due to potential cracked underground tanks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have been interested in the 4 cycle "minibikes" they are selling at various big box stores in my area.  (Walmart, Sams, Tractor Supply, etc)  They come assembled, but with a dry engine that is basically a lawn mower engine complete with pull cord starter.  When I was contemplating taking a job with an hour commute I made a plan similar to yours but with a minibike instead of a dirt bike.  The minibike seems better for long term storage, just put it on a block so the tires are off the ground and keep a tire pump, some gas and engine oil with it.  Cycle the gas once a year and no need to worry about batteries.  I am pretty sure a pull start carburated engine will still work even in the unlikely event of an EMP.

Most of the minibikes come with cargo racks so you could carry some extra gas and other supplies.  If you find terrain you can't ride through you should able carry the dang thing a short distance to get past the obstacle.  Also one can easily fit inside your regular vehicle (I know you have a truck, so not a big a deal vs a dirt bike or non-folding bicycle) so you could start your bugout with your regular vehicle then switch to the minibike if that become non-viable.  Downside is they can be loud, but you can upgrade the muffler.
View Quote
I bought a Coleman 200 used for about $250 IIRC. The 50 tooth sprocket it came with made it pretty weak on the low end so I put a 60 tooth and longer chain on it. It pulls my wood hauling wagon (made a hitch for it) just fine. I plan on making another one to keep in my truck to get home on if I have to abandon my vehicle. This mini bike goes many hours on one tank of fuel.  I think the tank holds about a half gallon.  Plenty enough to get me the 35 miles to my house from work.

I'll try to find a picture.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#23]
When I had a job like this, I decided a decent mountain bike would be best backup.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#24]
can't you keep a bolt cutters in your GHB? that way you don't have to keep and store a mountain bike, just take one.

I mean we're talking about shooting people at 100 yards. Bike theft is much lower on the crime threshold.

I'm in a major city and have thought about this. My goal is to take the truck as damn far as I can through any means I can. I know ways without bridges, I know what parking lots to cut through, etc.

I would rather run my truck till it's completely stuck and then walk the rest of the way back home, but I only have 12 miles to consider.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#25]
OP if I recall, you’re the retired LEO with the suburban or similar with all your gear squared away in your pull out storage locker in the back of your rig.

I was impressed with your previous thread on that.

I really like your idea of having an storage locker with gear stowed.

You never know-if mayhem was truly afoot-that storage locker may give you a place to hunker down and hide in plain sight.  Store a cot and blankets-some water and food-a led lantern etc.  obviously some mags and ammo.  Ham radio to monitor traffic.

Gives you an intermediate location to hunker down in between your work and homestead.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 6:04:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Storage fuel should be the ethanol free type.
If you don’t have a station that sells it, get the 1 gallon cans that Home Depot sells.
$20 a gallon, but you don’t need much.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Since you already carrying Glock, the Ruger PC9 takedown is really great companion.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#31]
How many miles are we talking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top