Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2018 2:34:58 PM EDT
Located at Werner peak MT, about 12 Mi NW of Whitefish.

70cm antenna on the left, 2M antenna on the right.

Took a few hours more than I thought it would, luckily we have about 14 hours of daylight here this time of the year and we got it done before dark. Antenna elevation is right at about 7000' elevation and should reach about 150 Mi radius. It you're going to be in the area, it is 147.260+ 100hz and 444.650+ 100hz.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#1]
That is cool

How did you guys get all that concrete up there?

Is there a road?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
How long have youhad the beard?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a lot nicer shack than most repeaters go in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice job!

What's the temperature up there?  I see guys in jackets.  It's been 100 degrees here for a month.

Don't see any Arfcom patches.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is cool

How did you guys get all that concrete up there?

Is there a road?
View Quote
You can get to within 100 yds with a vehicle and we just toted it with a wheelbarrow the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:08:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How long have youhad the beard?
View Quote
Since last drill.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's a lot nicer shack than most repeaters go in.
View Quote
Want to stay the night there?

http://dnrc.mt.gov/divisions/trust/real-estate/recreational-property-rentals

Unfortunately, it's all booked up for the 2018 season.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice job!

What's the temperature up there?  I see guys in jackets.  It's been 100 degrees here for a month.

Don't see any Arfcom patches.
View Quote
It was about 15-20 degrees colder than the valley so call it upper 50's - lower 60's with a steady 15 - 20mph wind.

I was the only Arfcom guy there.

ETA: Plus you can see the snow drifts on the north face, still 4-6' deep in places.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
#ThreadoftheMonth
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
New repeaters or re-engineered existing site?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

New repeaters or re-engineered existing site?
View Quote
It was new last year or maybe two, but 125mph winds took the old tower down late last Oct. This is the first we've been able to get up there since then. That said, it's all new antennae, V/U cans cables etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
You definitely can never over estimate just how violent it gets at altitude. A friends commercial repeater site is littered with the carcasses of hardware past. Antennas, wind generators, solar cells, tower sections. You name it, eats them for lunch. It's amazing that the lookouts survive, mostly.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Better view of the whole tower and antennae.

Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it bolted to the deck and roof of the main structure?  If the wind brings down that tower, that could result in some serious damage. Any guy wires?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Where is the "LIKE" button?

Is that Rohn 55? Looks more stout than 45.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is it bolted to the deck and roof of the main structure?  If the wind brings down that tower, that could result in some serious damage. Any guy wires?
View Quote
Yes, it is bolted to both the deck and roof. No guy wires.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where is the "LIKE" button?

Is that Rohn 55? Looks more stout than 45.
View Quote
I believe it is.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:20:35 PM EDT
[#19]
The coverage on this is amazing.

One of the guys that was taking pictures is driving south and is still hitting it just before he got to Missoula. Basically all of NW MT is in its footprint.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Everything about this post, and that site, is AWESOME!
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Nice setup. Pictures are great.
I am headed up to our hub repeater tomorrow morning to work on the 900 link.
Degraded signal over the last year, most likely from ice damage.
Since we can just now get up there as the ice and snow finally left.

McCall, Idaho area.
This system covers from Riggins, Idaho, south to around Idaho City, Idaho, then west to around Joseph, Ore.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Very cool.
Any provisions for lightning protection and grounding?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very cool.
Any provisions for lightning protection and grounding?
View Quote
That's a good question, let me ask.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One of the guys that was taking pictures is driving south and is still hitting it just before he got to Missoula. Basically all of NW MT is in its footprint.
View Quote
that is awesome.

Solar panels attached to the tower?

Holy crap that makes it a huge wind surface area.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
that is awesome.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that is awesome.

I'd be extremely concerned about the wind loading on that Rohn with those panels, especially given the location.

edit: I'd definitely move them to the handrail on the other side of the bldg or an additional mount on the other side.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'd be extremely concerned about the wind loading on that Rohn with those panels, especially given the location.

edit: I'd definitely move them to the handrail on the other side of the bldg or an additional mount on the other side.
View Quote
I don't think we are allowed to attach them to the building. I think the intent may be to keep the panels above the snow on the roof in the winter.

Pic of Werner peak in the winter.

Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's some badass coverage. Us southern guys just dream about that kinda stuff.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Not much of a tower needed in your part of the world.

Ours is on a 527' KDNL TV tower in downtown St. Louis, MO.

I am absolutely sure our coverage won't hold a candle to yours.

Outstanding pics and thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's some badass coverage. Us southern guys just dream about that kinda stuff.
View Quote
Sounds like you need a 7k foot tower.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Southern flatlander guys probably cant get an FAA waiver for a 7k ft tower. Montanna guys luck out and get grandfathered in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Some solar charger controllers can be programed to "de-ice" the panels in the morning by running reverse current to the panels for a short time to melt off snow.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll be back up there tomorrow to assist with repairs to the look-out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's a good question, let me ask.
View Quote
@Gyprat

Since you asked, I went and got pics today of the grounding system.

The whole radio cabinet is grounded / bonded to the towers grounding system.

Radio cabinet.

Grounding cables for the lookout. Roof has lightning rods at peak and all 4 corners which come together under the lookout.

Cables from one of the corners.

Amazingly, the Osborne Fire Finder is still there in our radio room. It certainly would NOT still be there had it been left in the lookout.

More pics

Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#34]
@aa777888-2

The math from your other post, 4*sqrt(h1+h2)/3. Calculate that for an antenna at 7004'.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#35]
111NM

You really notice things like this when you are flying. You'll be at, say, 2000ft AGL, headed to airport that uses a frequency that is shared with many small airports. While monitoring on that frequency and you'll hear someone who is also at a similar altitude landing at an airport 100NM away that uses the same frequency, clear as a bell. And most small aircraft radios have only 10W output power.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#36]
At around 30,000 feet, I could usually get 180-200 miles on UHF.  I don't recall how much power the radio was putting out.  That's about what the tacan was good for, too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
At around 30,000 feet, I could usually get 180-200 miles on UHF.  I don't recall how much power the radio was putting out.  That's about what the tacan was good for, too.
View Quote
At 30K, theoretical range for round/smooth Earth is 230NM, so if you are getting 200NM that's not bad because the Earth is rarely round and smooth.

Again, general aviation usually uses comm. radios with 10W output power, the bigger iron use radios with 25W. However the TACAN airborne transmitters are normally 500W. I'd guess that in either case you are still LOS limited and not power limited.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
111NM

You really notice things like this when you are flying. You'll be at, say, 2000ft AGL, headed to airport that uses a frequency that is shared with many small airports. While monitoring on that frequency and you'll hear someone who is also at a similar altitude landing at an airport 100NM away that uses the same frequency, clear as a bell. And most small aircraft radios have only 10W output power.
View Quote
Now I need some mapping tool to draw a radius around the location.  http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=48.577480&lon=-114.432907&z=19&m=b&search=Werner%20peak
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:Now I need some mapping tool to draw a radius around the location.  http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=48.577480&lon=-114.432907&z=19&m=b&search=Werner%20peak
View Quote
No, you can do much better than that. Go sign up here: Radio Mobile Online. It's a free radio coverage modeling tool specifically aimed at amateur radio. It uses some commonly available modeling software with a web interface.

I took a shot at modeling your coverage. I didn't know all of your repeater's parameters, obviously, but this is probably close. You can (should) model it yourself, of course.

Be sure to change the primary coverage zone color to something other than green, because the green will get lost on the background map where the repeater is located.

I wonder: does this coverage prediction match with your expectations for this site?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No, you can do much better than that. Go sign up here: Radio Mobile Online. It's a free radio coverage modeling tool specifically aimed at amateur radio. It uses some commonly available modeling software with a web interface.

I took a shot at modeling your coverage. I didn't know all of your repeater's parameters, obviously, but this is probably close. You can (should) model it yourself, of course.

Be sure to change the primary coverage zone color to something other than green, because the green will get lost on the background map where the repeater is located.

I wonder: does this coverage prediction match with your expectations for this site?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/16697/Capture4-608619.JPG
View Quote
I would say it does. That's a pretty cool tool.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought W5BEC was impressive. 7k makes at 1600 foot tower look like nothing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Great read, very interesting. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cedar Hill is about as good as it gets around here…but that tower also has platforms. Reminds me, I need to see about getting space on one of those towers for all things SMR.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:41:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@Gyprat

Since you asked, I went and got pics today of the grounding system.

The whole radio cabinet is grounded / bonded to the towers grounding system.

[/url]
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. I hope you did not make the trip to take the pictures of the grounding only.
I bet they used a grounding mat instead of grounding rods. Maybe grounding rods placed in shallow trench horizontally. Either way, it's a great place for a repeater. We have a repeater on Mt.Mitchell and it has a HUGE coverage compared to other local repeaters.

IMHO, that place could be a great spot for a VHF contest.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:01:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

that is awesome.

View Quote
I wasn't going to say anything, but especially with the winds that probably prevail there, unless those things are broadcast grade, I bet you find them dangling eventually. I'd keep a good eye on where the tower is attached to the building, too, you might see the attachment points start to pull out, or building damage.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. I hope you did not make the trip to take the pictures of the grounding only.
I bet they used a grounding mat instead of grounding rods. Maybe grounding rods placed in shallow trench horizontally. Either way, it's a great place for a repeater. We have a repeater on Mt.Mitchell and it has a HUGE coverage compared to other local repeaters.

IMHO, that place could be a great spot for a VHF contest.
View Quote
No special trip, it was scheduled maintenance on the lookout.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I wasn't going to say anything, but especially with the winds that probably prevail there, unless those things are broadcast grade, I bet you find them dangling eventually. I'd keep a good eye on where the tower is attached to the building, too, you might see the attachment points start to pull out, or building damage.
View Quote
It is what it is.

We are not allowed to put the panels on the building so they are in the next best place.

They are about 8' lower than on the previous tower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top