Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2022 10:56:46 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I learned an expensive lesson this weekend. Was messing with the kayak not paying attention and a wave flipped me over. Lost my two nice fishing rods. It’s been a few years since I bought the reel and the rod was given to me. I’m in the market for something but I’m very novice to this.

I enjoyed the baitcaster that I lost in the lake but I had only used it a few times, still learning. I enjoy the spinning reel since I’ve used it my entire life. I don’t know what I’m fishing for, I just go out and fish. That being said, bass fishing is kind of what I’m pretending to do. I’m hoping to spend under $150, I don’t mind bumping it up another $20 if the combo is nicer. $200 being my absolute max.

What would you suggest? I don’t mind piecing rod and reel or buying a combo.

One of my friends said to get this: Lew's Mach Smash SLP RH Baitcast Combo

Another friend said get a daiwa. Please help me get the most for my money. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This in 7ft mh
Attachment Attached File

This in whichever hand you retrieve with and ratio you like.
Attachment Attached File

I run some higher end 13 fishing reals and swear by them and favorite rods have been a great pair to those reels. Here’s a set up of what I’m using  Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, I was actually thinking about starting a thread about this. A few months ago I purchased this Cadence Essence Spinning Rod

I bought the light weight, but they make others. I'd heard so many good things about the quality of these rods, that I bought one on sale for $38. This rod seems equivalent to a $160 St Croix. I absolutely love this thing and plan to purchase others. I was so impressed by the fantastic quality for the price, I purchased their $20 spinning real....Cadence Ideal Spinning Reel. Granted, I've only used the real for about 6 weeks, but it's as smooth as the Diawa Regal or a Presidente.

Initially, I had some questions about rod choice. Their customer service emailed me back same day with answers and links.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a couple of Toadfish spinning setups that are easily becoming my favorite.

Elite Carbon combo - 2500 reel on a 7'4" ML XFast and a regular 2500 reel on a 7'2" Medium XFast
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m going to try and get the rods back from the lake. I also ended up getting a Daiwa XT and Daiwa 150. I was gable to get it under $200 and a lot of great reviews. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Hey everyone, I learned an expensive lesson this weekend. Was messing with the kayak not paying attention and a wave flipped me over. Lost my two nice fishing rods. It’s been a few years since I bought the reel and the rod was given to me. I’m in the market for something but I’m very novice to this.

I enjoyed the baitcaster that I lost in the lake but I had only used it a few times, still learning. I enjoy the spinning reel since I’ve used it my entire life. I don’t know what I’m fishing for, I just go out and fish. That being said, bass fishing is kind of what I’m pretending to do. I’m hoping to spend under $150, I don’t mind bumping it up another $20 if the combo is nicer. $200 being my absolute max.

What would you suggest? I don’t mind piecing rod and reel or buying a combo.

One of my friends said to get this: Lew's Mach Smash SLP RH Baitcast Combo

Another friend said get a daiwa. Please help me get the most for my money. Thank you.
View Quote

Shimano
Daiwa
In that order. It’s been awhile since I cast a Lew’s, but it was junk.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard talking to some good fishermen. They said shimano or Daiwa, with the edge going to Daiwa.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I am partial to Shimano and Diawa.  Even the lower end Shimano reels seem to hold up well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RJT1:
I am partial to Shimano and Diawa.  Even the lower end Shimano reels seem to hold up well.
View Quote

This is my experience as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m going to try and get the rods back from the lake. I also ended up getting a Daiwa XT and Daiwa 150. I was gable to get it under $200 and a lot of great reviews. I’ll keep y’all posted.
View Quote

How deep are they?  Im 3/5 on my recovery record in water 15'+

Seriously, a 3/4 oz lipless with upsized hooks is the way to go.  Or a big 1oz spoon with a big treble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top