Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2020 10:07:51 PM EDT
Okay, I have Fldigi and JS8call working on my HF rig (IC-7200) and now our digitial group is trying Fldigi over 2M through one of our repeaters as well as simplex.  What I will be using for a base rig is an ID-4100 (I already have a 5100 in my truck and a 51 HT, so I'm in the Icom D-Star architecture good-bad-or-indifferent) I have a cheap saba? sound card on the way from amazon which is what most of the club members are using for an interface from radio to computer.  Will this do outside of cabling or do I need something different?  Is a signal link USB a better choice--I have been on the fence as to whether I should get one.  But which one is another question--I think I need the model for the RJ45 cable.  Many radios use an RJ-11 or RJ45 cable fm the mic to the radio, so I'm not sure how I will get sound (mic input) into the computer if I go the cheap $8 sound card route from Amazon.  There is a data port on the 5100 but I have only used it program the radio using RT systems software.  With the right cable (which would be??) can I use the data port for the input/output to a computer--is this a better(or should I ask preferred) way?  I'm pretty sure I'm over thinking this, but it's worth asking here.  

The more I learn the more I do not know.

Thanks In Advance!

Edit: clarity

2020 Dec 11 Update: Success! (and a bright spot in my ham radio this week) Wednesday a friend asked me if I wanted to try some 2M simplex JS8-call.  I hadn't really done much with my signal link or my ID-4100 other than set the radio up at my QTH.  (I have another thread about my issues/frustrations with programming the TYT MD UV-380 It's been sucking up my time)

Well, I was able to decode his JS8 signal coming from his UV5R and an external hentenna.  Pro-tip, the signal link works Much better powered on He could not, however, decode my signal through his baofeng, although he could see the signal on his AirSpy.  We are separated by a mountain about 1800ft in elevation and 5-6 miles.  I wasn't sure VHF would cover that terrain, but I was happy to see it worked.  It was as easy as plugging the cable for the mike (and in my case the speaker cable since there is no audio on the mike cable) into the signal link and the USB cable from the signal link to the laptop, then power up the signal link and reset JS8 for the signal link. Something I noticed is that JS8 Call has the ID-4100 listed under radios for CAT (Rig) control.  Has anyone done that? It may make the signal link unnecessary--at least for this project. I am happy, however, with how things are working at the moment especially since I didn't have to spend hours with windows impeding my progress, and then not really knowing what I did to make things work.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:25:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do it the way you're doing it.  But you'll have to either find a "headphone" to RJ-45 (or whatever your mic plug is) for your radio or make one yourself.

You'll make it way easier on yourself by purchasing a signalink with the appropriate cable and jumper module for your radio.  Additionally, the signalink will activate the PTT on your radio instead of you relying on VOX and having to deal with audio levels.

https://www.tigertronics.com/files/SignaLink%20USB%20Product%20Guide.pdf

Aside from all this, the signalink becomes another sound card in your computer.  So all the system sounds will output your speakers, and only the audio you want will be output through the signalink, which windows sees it as a USB soundcard.  Without this, you have to disable all your system sounds or you'll be transmitting notifications, youtube, etc out your radio.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 12:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree,  it's a hundred bucks but honestly the signalink is probably my #1 most used accessory.  A budy of mine went the cheap soundcard route and he is constantly troubleshooting level issues or intermittent home brew cables.  The signalink just works.  

That being said you can absolutely do it with another kind of soundcard you are just going to have to play with it a little more.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do it the way you're doing it.  But you'll have to either find a "headphone" to RJ-45 (or whatever your mic plug is) for your radio or make one yourself.

You'll make it way easier on yourself by purchasing a signalink with the appropriate cable and jumper module for your radio.  Additionally, the signalink will activate the PTT on your radio instead of you relying on VOX and having to deal with audio levels.

https://www.tigertronics.com/files/SignaLink%20USB%20Product%20Guide.pdf

Aside from all this, the signalink becomes another sound card in your computer.  So all the system sounds will output your speakers, and only the audio you want will be output through the signalink, which windows sees it as a USB soundcard.  Without this, you have to disable all your system sounds or you'll be transmitting notifications, youtube, etc out your radio.
View Quote

I'll third this!
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Gentlemen.  A Signal Link is on the way--along with the jumper and an extra cable.  Now all I need is the Brown Truck of Happiness to deliver it all!
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]
See my OP for the update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top