Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2021 12:25:17 PM EDT
I picked up this radio to use for MURS but it was missing the 12v plug. My internet searching hasn't turned up anything. Is this a proprietary plug? I suppose if I was good I could refab an Anderson  plug on there somehow. Any ideas?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked for about 15 minutes to see if I could find one of those plugs.

I think your best bet is to open it up, take out the connector and wire in a power pole connection or something else that is easily obtained.

The hard part might be telling which side is positive since I dont see any indication on which terminal is positive., but the ground terminal on the inside should go to the case
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think your best bet is to open it up, take out the connector and wire in a power pole connection or something else that is easily obtained.

The hard part might be telling which side is positive since I dont see any indication on which terminal is positive., but the ground terminal on the inside should go to the case
View Quote

I agree. I searched for a while and came up with nothing.

I did read that the positive terminal on that model should be identifiable by a diode.

According to this site
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I did read that the positive terminal on that model should be identifiable by a diode.

According to this site
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to this site

I saw that too but don't know if it is accurate. For a stand alone battery operated device a diode on the positive side will protect the circuit from a reverse polarity connection. But there is a problem with that in a vehicle because there is an alternate path to ground and the battery through the vehicle chassis.

I may be wrong but since the negative terminal should go to the case and the case may be screwed into metal in the vehicle, I would probably put the reverse polarity protection diode with the cathode on the negative terminal to prevent any currency flow to ground ( and to the case of the radio ) if the positive terminal of the plug was attached to the negative connection on the radio.

With a reverse polarity hookup putting the diode on the positive connection protects the circuit but will allow a short from the positive connected to the negative terminal through the vehicle chassis to the battery.  Putting the diode on the negative connection protects the circuit and prevents a short circuit through the vehicle chassis to the battery.

Unless I am missing something.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if one of the plugs on a laptop's power brick would fit it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it's probably a flavor of a CEA, like CEA-CBH2W

https://www.amazon.com/CBK-Supply-Cea-CbH2W-13-8VDC-receivers/dp/B0756LKNT9

Pin size and spacing will matter but it's in that neighborhood.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF? That looks like an older style 120 VAC connector.

As said above, replace with Anderson Power Poles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I'd replace that with Anderson PPs.  Open up the case and desolder the connections to that terminal and remove it, and then solder in a 6-inch or so run of dual conductor power wire to go out the hole from the removed connector and terminate with powerpoles.  Add a grommet or back-fill the hole with epoxy or something.

To find out which terminal is positive and which is negative. it's highly likely the negative one will be a dead-short to the metal case of the radio.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for the effort and ideas. I'll try and get the cover off tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Eh, get two molex pins of the correct size, stick them on the plug and turn them into a molded plug with some hot glue or epoxy paste or something.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I pulled the cover off and I'm pretty sure the input with the diode is the positive. This is a cheap radio and I'm not even sure that it works yet. I think I'll make up a pigtail with Anderson connectors and call it good.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Open it up and get us some closeup pictures.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's the close up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
nevermind
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm too late now but whenever I run into a problem like that I dig around on eBay.

Sometimes you can find an identical rig as 'parts only' and score what you need.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I was digging around my old box of cables and think I found a connector that might work.  Your welcome to it you still need it.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you for that offer! But I already went ahead and put a pigtail on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top