BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because he shoots that rifle a lot and it’s what he’s used to. The rifle you’re best with is the best choice. Caliber doesn’t matter.

All I used is 308. There are better options but it’s what I have and know and I’m accurate. I’d love a 300 Rum for the 600 FPS gain if I were to use the same 178gr bullet.

Magnums have an advantage. But no matter what caliber you choose it comes down to practice and knowing your rifle, scope, and load.
View Quote
When you get a rum if you shoot 178s out of it you have officially failed at life.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Because I could...pretty simple isn't it..
View Quote
I was curious to see if you would give fact based response or cool response. People do dumb shit all the time because they want to and I'm a big fan of people doing what they want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was curious to see if you would give fact based response or cool response. People do dumb shit all the time because they want to and I'm a big fan of people doing what they want.
View Quote
Well here is a real answer for you..because at any given time, even where I was sheep hunting we had grizzlies, and I prefer the rum over the  win mag when it comes to bears..personal preference after killing a few big ones...That and I have put a pile of rounds thru the rum year round, spring, summer, fall winter, shooting everything from wolverine, fox, lynx, wolves, caribou bears and moose...I trust my life to the round and the gun..And have many times....
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well here is a real answer for you..because at any given time, even where I was sheep hunting we had grizzlies, and I prefer the rum over the  win mag when it comes to bears..personal preference after killing a few big ones...That and I have put a pile of rounds thru the rum year round, spring, summer, fall winter, shooting everything from wolverine, fox, lynx, wolves, caribou bears and moose...I trust my life to the round and the gun..And have many times....
View Quote
I can completely respect that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s why 300 win mag was pretty much the minimum caliber in southeast which really confused people who know how tiny the deer are. Almost everybody I knew carried a magnum or a Guide Gun everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That’s why 300 win mag was pretty much the minimum caliber in southeast which really confused people who know how tiny the deer are. Almost everybody I knew carried a magnum or a Guide Gun everywhere.
View Quote
Yep, and all you have to do is go shoot the same animal at the same distance with both and you will see exactly why I pack the rum..hydrastatic shock is real, and the 300wm cannot do it with heavy bullets even just 180's..the rum can and does......
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When you get a rum if you shoot 178s out of it you have officially failed at life.
View Quote
You would shit at my 125 grain barnes solids then...of course, they are for fur, and work perfectly for it...

This  125 pd plus wolf was shot with a 165 grain barnes solid....1" to the right of his A-hole...bullet was under the skin at his neck...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why didnt you pack a 50bmg
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First of all I don’t hunt because that shit is hard work. When I wandered the wilds once in a blue moon I usually carried a 12ga.

The 50 was in the truck
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 1:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

First of all I don’t hunt because that shit is hard work. When I wandered the wilds once in a blue moon I usually carried a 12ga.

The 50 was in the truck
View Quote
Dont carry the m2 or you'll end up dead if the first shot doesn't finish the job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dont carry the m2 or you'll end up dead if the first shot doesn't finish the job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 50 was in the truck
Usually it was a 870 and I managed to find two that didn't work.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Glad to see real answers from people that live in these areas and have had to deal with large predators than taking the word of those who've never been and are recommending pawl's weak ass 30-40 Krag for grizzly bears.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Glad to see real answers from people that live in these areas and have had to deal with large predators than taking the word of those who've never been and are recommending pawl's weak ass 30-40 Krag for grizzly bears.
View Quote
Sadly people  fail to understand the impact velocity has, and unless you kill things and open them up and look at the damage you have no idea what's actually happening...I get the recoil/accuracy thing, and it is real, but in todays world it is easily dealt with and its simple to make the hardest hitting cartridge easily handled by the most recoil sensitive shooter...Ironically, if the guys back in the day had access to the cartridges/rifles we have today...most all of them would be packing magnum rifles and killing the shit out of things.......
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sadly people  fail to understand the impact velocity has, and unless you kill things and open them up and look at the damage you have no idea what's actually happening...I get the recoil/accuracy thing, and it is real, but in todays world it is easily dealt with and its simple to make the hardest hitting cartridge easily handled by the most recoil sensitive shooter...Ironically, if the guys back in the day had access to the cartridges/rifles we have today...most all of them would be packing magnum rifles and killing the shit out of things.......
View Quote
Or ya know options.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
And yet Alaskans themselves, as well as hunters coming up to Alaskan (Elmer Keith among them), killed Grizzs, Brownies, moose, and caribou for decades with the 220gn Krag load (@2000-2001fps).  Then they killed all the same critters for several more decades with the 30-06. Historical facts, those.

Dead is dead.

'Latest and greatest' isn't synonymous with 'better' or 'more effective.'
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And yet Alaskans themselves, as well as hunters coming up to Alaskan (Elmer Keith among them), killed Grizzs, Brownies, moose, and caribou for decades with the 220gn Krag load (@2000-2001fps).  Then they killed all the same critters for several more decades with the 30-06. Historical facts, those.

Dead is dead.

View Quote
..So if all those cartridges were so good why isn't everyone still using them? Why aren't hunters still using BP cartridges if the old stuff was so good? My guess is 99.9% of all those old guys if they had the choice of their old cartridges or those we have today to a man would select modern rifles and cartridges to carry...I understand some people can't handle shooting magnum rifles, I understand some people like the old cartridges..Great go enjoy your cartridge, but don't stand there and try and tell me what cartridge I have to shoot because of your feelzzzz.......
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dead is dead.

View Quote
I don't know if that is considered a strawman but it's a pretty common argument that in my mind is bullshit. Highly skilled people like Keith can kill just about anything with any caliber and as technology continues to improve so can many less skilled people. Doesn't make it a good idea either. Sure there are plenty of people that go overkill but as so many people frequently remind everyone in self defense threads nobody ever wishes they had less gun when something actually happens. How many elephants have been killed with 308 and 303? How many people would recommend either as a good elephant round?

People definitely get invested a little too heavily in their favorite rounds as they do with everything. It's human nature. There is also a reason professional hunters all over the world have minimum calibers for dangerous game and they are not 30/40 krag, 35 whelen, etc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I don't know if that is considered a strawman but it's a pretty common argument that in my mind is bullshit. Highly skilled people like Keith can kill just about anything with any caliber and as technology continues to improve so can many less skilled people. Doesn't make it a good idea either. Sure there are plenty of people that go overkill but as so many people frequently remind everyone in self defense threads nobody ever wishes they had less gun when something actually happens. How many elephants have been killed with 308 and 303? How many people would recommend either as a good elephant round?

People definitely get invested a little too heavily in their favorite rounds as they do with everything. It's human nature. There is also a reason professional hunters all over the world have minimum calibers for dangerous game and they are not 30/40 krag, 35 whelen, etc.
View Quote
Minimum caliber are for unskilled bitches. I'm going to Africa next month and I plan on using my 17hmr. Behind the ear shots will plant anything.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Minimum caliber are for unskilled bitches. I'm going to Africa next month and I plan on using my 17hmr. Behind the ear shots will plant anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Knew a couple people in Alaska that used 17hmr to harvest deer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Minimum caliber are for unskilled bitches.
View Quote
Seems like we're seeing more of those lately on certain Alaskan 'reality shows.'  You have to wonder why some of these guys go outside the cabin to throw a major whine-fest.

Although, have to say, that Sue Aikens guy really impresses. Certainly a manly man who knows how to handle a 12ga slug gun.

Sue exhibits enough persona to restore one's faith in the Alaskan male .... such as it is today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dead is dead.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dead is dead.

Your ignorance is absolutely hilarious, if not a bit alarming as well.  I really hope you never actually go hunting bears with your pawl's 30-40 Krag.

Quoted:
Wow, you're so cool and edgy with your internet chest pumping haha.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Your ignorance is absolutely hilarious, if not a bit alarming as well.  I really hope you never actually go hunting bears with your pawl's 30-40 Krag.

View Quote
Oh sweetie it's not just on the internet.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dead is dead.

Quoted:
And you're an uncool moron ... So there's that too. LOL!
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the 300 Win Mag with a brake, or have one installed.  A good brake will dramatically increase noise, but reduce recoil to less than .308.  An alternative would be .270 winchester, and careful bullet selection and practice.  With .270, sometimes you need to double load - i.e. a stout bullet chambered for close, under 100 yard shots, coupled with next rounds being a target construction bullet that will travel distance well, and still expand significantly at reduced velocities.  
Personally, I don't get the suggestions for RUM - odd bolt face, big case body, reduced barrel life.  Reduced ammo availability.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get the 300 Win Mag with a brake, or have one installed.  A good brake will dramatically increase noise, but reduce recoil to less than .308.  An alternative would be .270 winchester, and careful bullet selection and practice.  With .270, sometimes you need to double load - i.e. a stout bullet chambered for close, under 100 yard shots, coupled with next rounds being a target construction bullet that will travel distance well, and still expand significantly at reduced velocities.  
Personally, I don't get the suggestions for RUM - odd bolt face, big case body, reduced barrel life.  Reduced ammo availability.
View Quote
LOL..Odd bolt face? ..Just a few rum sized bolt faces, including many very popular "old" time cartridges like 375 H&H....

Short actions....
Attachment Attached File

Long actions...
Attachment Attached File

And that doesn't count some of the new cartridges out that everyone recommends..like 30 Nosler, 300 PRC and others..Oh and guess what, they are all fat cartridges as well...Damn evidently the rum is a much better cartridge than you thought, seems quite a few of the latest greatest cartridges are all built off the same basic dimensions....go figure...Must explain why the RUM works so good...
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL..Odd bolt face? ..Just a few rum sized bolt faces, including many very popular "old" time cartridges like 375 H&H....

Short actions....
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-01-19_at_6_42_59_PM_png-1241600.JPG

Long actions...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-01-19_at_6_42_49_PM_png-1241601.JPG

And that doesn't count some of the new cartridges out that everyone recommends..like 30 Nosler, 300 PRC and others..Oh and guess what, they are all fat cartridges as well...Damn evidently the rum is a much better cartridge than you thought, seems quite a few of the latest greatest cartridges are all built off the same basic dimensions....go figure...Must explain why the RUM works so good...
View Quote
I want to see you and lrrp battle over who's kool aid is best. 300RUM vs 6.5 grendel.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I want to see you and lrrp battle over who's kool aid is best. 300RUM vs 6.5 grendel.
View Quote
Why not just let people pick  whatever they want to shoot...Amazingly enough, it doesn't bother me a bit that you shoot standard low recoil cartridges...it's ironic how much it bugs you that I shoot a magnum cartridge though...
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And you're an uncool moron ... So there's that too. LOL!
View Quote
Oh, I'm an uncool moron?  That's not a very nice thing to say Nicholas, do your parents always let you on the computer unsupervised?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:25:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh sweetie it's not just on the internet.
View Quote
#internettoughguy

Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
The elk I shot with 308 didn't go far. I've seen them drop with 300 wby, and 300wm. I have heard stories from hunting partners about an elk here or there running over the top of a mountain and it becoming a pain in the ass pack out. If a buddy called and wanted to go tomorrow I'd take my 308 and be happy, if I was going on a once in the life time hunt a year from now I'd buy a 300wm and practice once a month until then. Personally, I've been eyeing the Tikka cause it's light accurate and the price is right.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Why not just let people pick  whatever they want to shoot...Amazingly enough, it doesn't bother me a bit that you shoot standard low recoil cartridges...it's ironic how much it bugs you that I shoot a magnum cartridge though...
View Quote
Uhhh I do shoot magnums....
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Am I allowed to be one if I dont use a magnum exclusively?

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I suggest that almost everyone who has posted in this thread on the last page spend some time reacquainting themselves with the CoC in regard to the tech forums
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top