Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2021 8:48:36 PM EDT
Looking to take my Yaesu FTM-7250 on the road, and need some antenna advice.

Got a Dodge 1500 megacab, want to take advantage of that nice big roof acting as a ground plane, but the problem is the truck's already at 6' 6" off the ground, so I don't want a permanently mounted 2'-5' antenna sticking off the top of an already tall truck if I can avoid it.

Thinking magnet mount so I can remove it completely if I need to, but also wondering about the utility/reliability/durability of either a spring mount or a folding antenna would work well, like the Comet CA-@x4SRNMO.  40" antenna, folding base, NMO mount so will work on a variety of bases.  

Another alternative would be a DX Engineering fender mount, that comes out of the gap between front fender and hood, or maybe something similar off the bed, but then that doesn't take advantage of the roof as a ground plane.

Any suggestions?  As a new guy to the hobby, the choices are almost overwhelming.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Browning triband foldover that gets comments all the time.  Browning probably makes something for your application.  Tram antennas also get a lot of positive feedback
Link Posted: 6/9/2021 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I think a hard mount on a bedrail would be better than a mag mount on the roof. I like the Comet SSB5.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]
How many times (if at all) will you be hitting anything with the antenna?

How important is 70cm high performance?

If you hit the antenna on stuff all the time, the best option is the Sti-Co "flexi-whip", but it's just a plain 1/4 wave antenna so not phased correctly for 70cm. A 3/4 wave vertical is -6dB, so you lose one S unit. I've used one a lot, but if you're really fringe on 70cm and actually need that, then a different antenna will be needed.

If you're not going to hit stuff with it, my favorite shorter dual-band is the Austin 500C. Great performance out of a smaller height antenna.

If you need better 70cm performance in a more rugged antenna.... I think I'd go with the Larsen NMO2/70SH

Cheap option... Tram 1185.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 12:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a fender mount and a Comet SBB5 antenna. The antenna is 1/2 wave. It requires no ground plane to perform well. It is a VERY popular antenna.
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, I've had good luck using a Comet CA-2X4SRB antenna on a Comet RS730 trunk-lip mount mounted to the front edge of the driver's side door of the Tacoma.  That location might still put it too high for your needs.  I considered putting it on the edge of the hood, but the door turned out to be more convenient for running the coax into the cab.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Larsen NMO2/70S.  The letter S designates either spring or short or special, I forget which.

It's short, with a spring, and I guess special as well.  It's been on my Grand Cherokee for over a decade and still going strong.  

Looking at the net, it appears they're calling it the NMO2/70SH now (or always have and my memory ain't so great).

The shorter length will keep it from hitting stuff, and the spring will help if it ever does.

Amazon Link
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, all.  I think I'm going with the SBB5.  The fender mount is my #1 option right now, but I also found a bed rail stake hole antenna mount that I may consider, if I can figure out how to get the feed line from the cab to the bed without just dangling it out the rear door.  

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Appreciate all your help!
Link Posted: 6/10/2021 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Run the coax thru the vents on the back of the cab.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I have an SBB 5 on my Jeep. Half wave no ground plane needed. Pretty happy with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top