Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2018 4:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: txag12]
Looking to start fishing more and will most likely will be in a kayak most of the time so would like to try and get away with just two sticks.

I've never been real big into fishing so I don't know a lot about the power and action of rods and what they go best with.

What ill be fishing the most.
-plastics (texas and wacky rigs mostly)
- poppers and jerks
- cranks
- chatter baits with trailers

Would like to staying below $200-$250 each. I like the looks of both the Lews mach crush and mach II combos. They any good?

Mainly i would like to know what power/action works best with what ill be fishing with above and any recommendations in rods/reels and combos (would like to stick with casting rods/reels for now)

TIA
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Most common actions are Medium to Medium/Heavy with a fast tip for most bass fishing applications.
Some guys go medium-lite but have decent power in the butt, this depends on fish size too.

There are too many options out there for rods and reels.
Outside of saying Shimano baitcasters are worth the money, I will forego commenting on brands for rods and reels, I have my preference and others have theirs.
I have never fished out of a kayak but look forward to hearing of your success.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ezdaar] [#2]
Welcome to your new addiction.

You will soon have a wall rack with 30+ rod/reel combos.
There is no "two" rod/reel combos for bass.

There is only ALL OF THEM.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Less makes great baitcasters. Even their cheaper ones are better than a lot of the store brands

I use a Lews Speed Spool MG on a 6 1/2’ rod and love the set up. Looking to get another this spring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#4]
For the plastics, around a 7 foot Medium or Medium Heavy rod with a fast tip and a reel with a high gear ratio, 7:1 to 7.5:1 gear ratio.

Here’s one I found in about 30 seconds. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lews

For the crankbaits, you should be able to find a cranking stick. It’ll have a moderate tip. Reel around a 6:1 to 6.8:1 ratio.

2 versions of this one. 6’6” and moderate fast would be good for crankbait. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/abu-garcia-silver-max-baitcast-rod-and-reel-combo#repChildCatid=3967030
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
when kayaking I just take a 7'1 med/heavy with 50lb braided and a 7'3 medium with 30lb braided . ratio's just depend on the user, I stick to higher ratio's cause I can just reel slow if needed.

med/heavy setup is mostly used for jigs, top water or throwing anything into heavy cover. this setup is pretty versatile so I can throw a leader on and use the same stuff on this as I do on my medium setup.

medium setup is for cranks, rattletrap's, swimbaits, lighter spinner baits or maybe even a texas rig.

You should definitely check out 13 fishing. I have one of their cheaper reels which is the inception for $120 and it's my favorite reel I own. it casts so much better than one of the lews I own.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The big question is do you want to learn with a baitcaster?  I bought a 7 foot medium bass pro combo for $119.  It was over fathers day weekend so I think it was usually a $149 package.  They spooled it with their mono and it must be garbage because I had massive problems with it.  I've changed nothing but the line (Pline flouroclear) and had great luck with it ever since.  You could throw anything you listed on one.  For lighter tackle I have a 6 foot medium light spinning rod.

I would personally start with a medium rod in the 7foot range.  It sort of in the middle.  You can go longer or shorter and more or less spine.  After you fish for a while you will have an idea of what else you might like for where you fish.  Then you always have a rod that fits right in the middle.  Just a thought.

If you go baitcaster and your right handed....think about a left handed retrieve.  All of the hand switching makes no sense to me and I prefer working te rod with my dominant hand.  Just my $.02....ultimately I'm a total newb myself.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kchustle:
If you go baitcaster and your right handed....think about a left handed retrieve.  All of the hand switching makes no sense to me and I prefer working te rod with my dominant hand.  Just my $.02....ultimately I'm a total newb myself.
View Quote
This.  I don't understand why anyone would reel with their dominant hand....it makes no damn sense.  Not having to switch hands is great too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
This.  I don't understand why anyone would reel with their dominant hand....it makes no damn sense.  Not having to switch hands is great too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eclark53520:
Originally Posted By kchustle:
I’m the odd guy. I’m right handed but I get better action with my left hand. I reel my spinner and baitcaster with my right hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top