Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2021 7:38:37 PM EDT
Hey guys!

I've got an old Stihl 026 that I wouldn't give up for love or money and my son has a couple of bigger saws if needed.

HOWEVER, At 68 years old with several herniated disc and arthritis in my spine it is starting to really stress my back.

My needs are for light trimming small growth bushes and limbs around the farm and roadway. I've got to reclaim some pastures that I've neglected for several years and now have a bunch of field pines around small coffee can size diameter.

I've been looking at either a Stihl MS170 or MS 180.

Educate me on these or if you think there may be better options for the dollar.

I don't really need or want a heavier or bigger saw.

Help me decide!

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/13/2021 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you'd benefit from a top handle saw.  They are super handy, small, lightweight, and balance much better than a rear handle saw.  If all you're going to be doing is limbing and cutting very small trees, I think you'll be impressed and won't be as fatigued.  

After owning Stihl everything for a number of years, I have started replacing my Stihl stuff with Echo stuff.  I think you get more bang for your buck with Echo now.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 3 good gas saws, I use my m12 hatchet with a 6" bar way more than I thought I would.

Battery power is awesome, no starting or gas or carbs.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 3 good gas saws, I use my m12 hatchet with a 6" bar way more than I thought I would.

View Quote

68 with a bad back?  I'd be looking battery powered as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#4]
We have cut wood for personal use and sugaring for many years.  Last year I bought a Stihl Battery saw.  I choose that brand primarily because I am used to using a chain saw and wanted the traditional ergonomics and balance.  I found the Milwaukee and Dewalt type saws to feel a lot different.  They are good quality and run well from what I have heard, but they just don't fit me.  I also bought the Stihl weedeater which uses the same battery.  

My Dad, 78,  bought one after I did because there are a lot of times where the job at hand is quick and simple.  No need to fuel up and get a gasser running.  Plus it is quieter.  I like it for carrying in my SxS and cruiser as I don't have to carry fuel.  

I have found the battery life to be reasonable for the job.  Either tool while last as long as you want to until you take a break.  Then swap out batteries.  

If that is not an option I would give consideration to a 14/16" saw in the 40cc range.  

Mike

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 4 acres with lots of trees and bushes, I use my Makita way more than my gas Stihl.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
026/260 and 346XP were THE lightweight saws ten years ago.
I'm not sure you'd save enough weight going to a heavier clamshell design in a smaller saw (170/180) to be worth it.
There were rear handle versions of the lightweight climbing saws IIRC (MS200 instead of MS200T?).

Would the 026 handle better with a 10-12" bar on it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I owned a lawncare business for many years and used a Stihl 193T almost daily for light to medium trimming. No issues, but I also cleaned it after every day it was used- especially the air filter and chain oiler. Still looks almost new years later.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#8]
170 is a fine homeowner saw. If you're considering a top handle the Husqvarna T435 is a solid choice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#9]
An Ego battery powered saw will get done what you need.

On a different tact - you should also try a powered pole saw with a quality harness.  I've found that I can do a lot of chainsaw work (taking down small trees/shrubs/cleanup and even limbing small tree) around the farm with the polesaw.  Properly balanced and with a good harness - it saves a lot of wear and tear on my back.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm younger but also hurt, similar back diagnosis. Anyway I'm making short work of the woods around with my Ryobi battery saw. It weighs nothing, no drama, just pull the trigger, cut the wood, and it stops instantly. If something needs the gas saw anymore I may end up hiring the pros to do it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Stihl MS180 C-BE

Mine has a 16" bar, which IMO is too much for the size of the saw.

This model has their easy start pull system on it.

It complements my MS391 well for firewood duty.

ETA the C-BE also has tool-less chain adjustment, which is pretty handy.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#12]
For gas powered saws, it doesn't get any lighter than the Echo 2511T, but top handle saws aren't for everybody.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For gas powered saws, it doesn't get any lighter than the Echo 2511T, but top handle saws aren't for everybody.
View Quote
They make it in a rear handle.

Op
My dad is 74 with arthritis and back back.
He can start and handle the stihl ms 170 I bought him.

The 170/180 can be hot rodded a little with a adjustable ms250/025 carb.

Link Posted: 9/14/2021 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got the wife one and liked it so much I got the M18 saw for myself. I haven’t started any of my 3 gas saws since. I really need to sell all but one of them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up a DeWalt 20v 12” to throw on the zero turn mower. Come to a low hanging limb, no problem.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I got the wife one and liked it so much I got the M18 saw for myself. I haven’t started any of my 3 gas saws since. I really need to sell all but one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 18V tools are Makita and I've eyeballed their saw. Hard to justify a 4th full size but I may get one anyway
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently cleaned up a couple hundred yards of fence along a road that was full of large cedars.

I got the middle size Milwaukee brushless battery sawzall and I'm glad I didn't get their Super sawzall, as it would've been too much.

Combined with one of their fancy "axe" sawzall blades, and I didn't use my stihl again the rest of the day.

Battery sawzall will definitely be my new go to for limbs.

ETA: guess I should look into a milwaukee chainsaw.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#19]
MS170 is my favorite saw! I can run all day without fatiguing my shoulders. I muffler modded mine and put a Walbro WT215 (026) carb on to have both high and low adjustment. It's a beast for it's weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2021 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146520/Screenshot_20210914-110055_Samsung_Inter-2090567.jpg

Last I looked they weren't for sale in the US yet, nice to see they are now.

3lbs lighter than an MS170 and the top handle is another 1/2lb lighter
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I recently cleaned up a couple hundred yards of fence along a road that was full of large cedars.

I got the middle size Milwaukee brushless battery sawzall and I'm glad I didn't get their Super sawzall, as it would've been too much.

Combined with one of their fancy "axe" sawzall blades, and I didn't use my stihl again the rest of the day.

Battery sawzall will definitely be my new go to for limbs.

ETA: guess I should look into a milwaukee chainsaw.
View Quote

Cordless sawzalls are great for fence clean-up chores.  It's nice to have something that you can cut stuff off right at ground level and not feel bad when you inevitably hit a rock or some fencing wire.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

68 with a bad back?  I'd be looking battery powered as well.
View Quote

Not to mention they seem to not vibrate as bad.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I owned a lawncare business for many years and used a Stihl 193T almost daily for light to medium trimming. No issues, but I also cleaned it after every day it was used- especially the air filter and chain oiler. Still looks almost new years later.
View Quote

193t x10
Pick one up I mean literally you'll be sold.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

193t x10
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

193t x10

Pound for pound that’s a damn fine saw but it’s also a really powerful saw for the weight. I used one a little while and it’s the most chain sensitive saw I ever laid my hands own. If the chain became dull you have to sharpen it or it vibrates. I got to where I ran a file every time I stopped the saw just to feel for a vibration. It may have been a bad chain but that thing would cut stuff it didn’t have business cutting. I kinda wonder if it was the fact that the handle was kinda in front of the crankshaft that caused the torque to pull down more?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146520/Screenshot_20210914-110055_Samsung_Inter-2090567.jpg

Op
My dad is 74 with arthritis and back back.
He can start and handle the stihl ms 170 I bought him.

The 170/180 can be hot rodded a little with a adjustable ms250/025 carb.

View Quote

Holy hell, I love my 2511T, had no idea it came with rear handle.   I'm grabbing the first one I can find.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a lot of Pro model stihl saws......more than probably everyone combined that has posted so far.  
If the 026 is too much, I would HIGHLY recommend an MS200 REAR HANDLE saw.  The thing is a little beast and punches was above it's weight class.

Tony

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have a lot of Pro model stihl saws......more than probably everyone combined that has posted so far.  
If the 026 is too much, I would HIGHLY recommend an MS200 REAR HANDLE saw.  The thing is a little beast and punches was above it's weight class.

Tony
https://i.imgur.com/eJTrbDt.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/KPdyxlz.jpg
View Quote

How do you keep the paint on the bars so bright and shiny?!?!
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Fought tooth and nail against battery saws until I was overseas and a small tree fell accross our driveway stranding the wife.  Battery saw was easy to train her with and she’s not afraid of it.  I find I use it more often near the chipper or for trail maint than my 391 because it’s so dang easy and doesn’t require any warmup.  Milwaukee saw here, I didn’t want to go with Stihl etc because I didn’t want a new battery and charger, just stuck with what I had.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Stihl MS180 C-BE

Mine has a 16" bar, which IMO is too much for the size of the saw.

This model has their easy start pull system on it.

It complements my MS391 well for firewood duty.

ETA the C-BE also has tool-less chain adjustment, which is pretty handy.
View Quote

@KillerDyller

Pick up a 14" bar and chain and you will love the saw even more. It helps that the smaller bar has a thicker chain/groove so it cuts soooo much better.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

That would be my suggestion OP. The MS170/180 with the 14" bar/chain combo above. Its soooo light and has plenty of power.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 10:36:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@KillerDyller

Pick up a 14" bar and chain and you will love the saw even more. It helps that the smaller bar has a thicker chain/groove so it cuts soooo much better.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20210923-145132_YouTube_jpg-2136767.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20210923-145124_YouTube_jpg-2136768.JPG

That would be my suggestion OP. The MS170/180 with the 14" bar/chain combo above. Its soooo light and has plenty of power.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20210924_190410_jpg-2136774.JPG
View Quote

Picked up a 12" for it a week ago, haven't ran it yet. Got a couple 16" chains that have plenty of life left in them still.
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top