Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2018 10:57:38 AM EDT
Some of my preps were in a foot of water.  Mostly #10 cans.  Dried them best I could but some show signs of light rust.

Is this an issue or is mild surface rust around the seams not going to hurt the integrity of the contents?

Some labels are missing,  should make for interesting times when they are finally opened.

Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
should have written contents in sharpie under the lid, at least thats what I did.

dry them, wipe with a light oil, or spray with boeshield
Link Posted: 1/18/2018 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
should have written contents in sharpie under the lid, at least thats what I did.

dry them, wipe with a light oil, or spray with boeshield
View Quote
Thanks for the info.  Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Rust is a big issue.  Make sure it gets stopped.

To some extent I would make notes when you open anything or if you have some with labels still you can start weighing em and seeing what you think.

Can weighs x and is freeze dried whatever, go find all the other cans that weigh x.

Not gauranteed, but you get the concept I hope.

I have so many coolers around here I am packing em with #10 cans to get the cans out of the way.  Not that many cans though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Biere.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Another question.  Two #10 cans are bulging top and bottom.  They are both muffin mix and were dry during the flood.

One is almond poppy seed muffin mix,  the other is corn muffin mix.

Im going to toss them unless you guys say different.

Any idea what could cause this?  Odd that they are both muffin mix.

Other cans look good.

As always,  thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]
baking powder out gassing, happens to mixes over time

it will still be good, but wont leaven as much when cooked

eta i dont store "mixes" for this reason
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
baking powder out gassing, happens to mixes over time

it will still be good, but wont leaven as much when cooked

eta i dont store "mixes" for this reason
View Quote
Thanks,  I'll keep them around as an experiment.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
IS there any chance almond or other oil is going rancid?  I would run a search on exact brand and lot number and see if others have had issues or not.

I know with peanut butter and some stuff folks say the peanut oil can go rancid, I honestly have zero clue if there is a concern with the almonds or not.

But I would check.

I try to store peanut butter.  But it sure does not have a problem getting rotated if I am around so no issues here.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IS there any chance almond or other oil is going rancid?  I would run a search on exact brand and lot number and see if others have had issues or not.
View Quote
gassing is a know problem in mixes, you can call the companies that make them and they will tell you the same.

oil going rancid doesn't offgas, and is highly unlikely with 02 absorbers and/or nitrogen purge
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok.  Was wondering and not something I know cause I don't store mixes I guess.  I have some from last year but not really planning on storing em long term really.  More just a thing where I got em on clearance.

I have a lot of mtn house pouches and #10 stuff and some of the mixes are auguson farms or whatever that amazon was clearing out for unknown reasons.  Good pancake mix.  :D

I am working on rotating out a lot of stuff I have on shelves and it is amusing thinking about what if I could not go to the store to get this or that to make x be better.

I find myself still annoyed at tuna cans being smaller.  I have a mess of tuna pouches cause they got more popular in the last few years.

Guess I am just rambling.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Hit with steel wool.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

gassing is a know problem in mixes, you can call the companies that make them and they will tell you the same.

oil going rancid doesn't offgas, and is highly unlikely with 02 absorbers and/or nitrogen purge
View Quote
For the baking power to outgas, wouldn't it have to react with water?

Why not open and take a look?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hit with steel wool.
View Quote
Still needs an anti-corrosion coat. IIRC, there's an inexpensive anticorrosion liquid that a service bulletin required owners of a Piper with struts to treat their insides.

WagAero would have it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For the baking power to outgas, wouldn't it have to react with water?

Why not open and take a look?
View Quote
I'll do this to one of the cans when I get a chance and report back.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top