Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2021 7:38:00 AM EDT
I hope this is the right section to post in...

I'm looking at getting another handheld GPS , I used to have a 60csx years ago and worked well. I know I want topo maps and replaceable batteries.

So I guess it's between the 64 and 65 from Garmin.

I guess what I'm wondering is what's the difference between the 64 and the 65?

I don't mind buying used, so if I can save a bit by buying an older model , I'd do that.

Maybe just get another 60csx? I looked them up and I'm saving a little bit more but If the newer models lock better and hold signal longer - definitely worth it
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:56:14 AM EDT
The 60 CSX was discontinued.

I have one brand new in the box.. never learned how to use it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 8:02:37 AM EDT
Yeah but you can get them used. Ebay and what not.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:40:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/17/2021 9:42:49 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
I have a 64ST. I really like it. I’d buy another one if I needed it. Can’t answer the comparison question. My previous Garmin was an Etrex Vista. The 64ST is light years better.

Primary use is ATV/UTV riding although I do use it for hiking as well. A set of 2 Eneloop batteries last 1.5 days of riding....so constant on for about 12-14 hrs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:59:55 PM EDT
Garmin 78 series if you are around water.
It floats.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:58:11 PM EDT
I like my 64. I get topo maps from gpsfilesdepot. I also use eneloops. I carry spares too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:04:17 PM EDT
I bought a NIB Vista HCX for $60 last year.  It's compact and rugged.  22hrs on a pair of double A's.  Can load good 1:25k tops on it for free these days.  Works great for me.  I don't usually spend a lot of time looking at it (fire it up on batt saver mode to run the breadcrumbs) but it's great when I'm bushwhacking and need to find an efficient way from A to B in steep terrain here in the NE.

I hunt in coastal MD/VA where there's dunes and brutal thick stuff in between.  There, I use the phone a lot in airplane mode with Sat imagery preloaded to find the spots where the hands and knees crawl on muddy goat trails is shortest (if I'm going into new).

Still, getting out, especially after dark; that Garmin breadcrumb trail is the shit when you start working back through a wall of thorns in darkness and nothing looks familiar and the open area beyond is frustratingly elusive. I got a Garmin Instinct watch this year and I'm curious to see if that can do the job for the hunts I do (where I can charge the watch overnight).
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:36:21 PM EDT
64st here love it
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:44:55 PM EDT
I need a handheld as well. Hope you don’t mind OP. Last time I bought one was Garmin Rhino series. My use would be getting home from 46 miles away on foot in case of New Madrid earthquake.
Top Top