Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2022 3:36:59 PM EDT
Didn’t grow up hunting, I’ve come to it later in life thanks to some coworkers who also are getting into it. Just ordered my first bolt gun, a Savage 110 Apex in 6.5 CM with a bore-sighted Vortex Crossfire attached.

Can’t afford any upgrades to it this year, the plan is for a new scope in 2023. What should I do when I get the rifle home? Do I need to go through everything and make sure all the screws are tightened down, or is this something that I shouldn’t worry about since it’s coming from the factory? Also, I’ve seen about 500 different theories on how best to zero it. What actually works best?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome to hunting.  Bore sighting will get you close but you still need to sight in.  Purchase three boxes of the same lot ammo at least.  All cartridge's do not shoot to the same point of aim. Sight in at 100. Your choice but 2" high works for most.  You guys have to use unleaded bullets.  Dry fire 20 times a day standing in your shooting position.  Get a sling, preferably nonslip and light.  Take it off when actively hunting.  Go to this link and study Effective Game Killing.  

As for checking scope screws, its not a bad idea if you have the tools.  I personally use 5 min epoxy on the bases and screws. They stay on, don't loosen, no rust under the bases, and I can warm them with a mini torch when I want to remove them.  Epoxy melts at about 170 degrees.

Get the ten essentials and carry them with you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 9:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to hunting.  Bore sighting will get you close but you still need to sight in.  Purchase three boxes of the same lot ammo at least.  All cartridge's do not shoot to the same point of aim. Sight in at 100. Your choice but 2" high works for most.  You guys have to use unleaded bullets.  Dry fire 20 times a day standing in your shooting position.  Get a sling, preferably nonslip and light.  Take it off when actively hunting.  Go to this link and study Effective Game Killing.  

As for checking scope screws, its not a bad idea if you have the tools.  I personally use 5 min epoxy on the bases and screws. They stay on, don't loosen, no rust under the bases, and I can warm them with a mini torch when I want to remove them.  Epoxy melts at about 170 degrees.

Get the ten essentials and carry them with you.
View Quote

This^^^^

I would add “practice, Practice, PRACTICE”.  Also, if’n you’re liken it, think about reloading your own ammo.

I leave you with theses words of wisdom……. If you can’t shoot straight, shot often
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, guys. Definitely some good stuff in here I haven’t thought about or come across yet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you settle on your setup….  Shoot it at known distances after getting a good zero on your chosen ammo. Dont go off what the box or an app says. It will haunt your entire existence when you miss/wound a big critter!!

I would tell you to check torque on everything as well. I bought a rifle last year that was nearly $4K when all was said and done. 30 rounds into owning it the action screws were so loose the gun “clunked” when you picked it up or set it down.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Good advice above. What has worked very well for me is to zero at 200 yds and then learn my dope beyond that. Inside 200 hold on target and shoot. Learn your dope and shots out to 350 are pretty easy with practice. As far as practice is concerned, most of mine is at 300 yds. Everything inside that will be cake. Longer shots will rely on form and a solid rest. Just remember to have fun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depending on what you intend to hunt and the range you will hunt at, the vortex might be just fine.  I'm currently using a crossfire2 on my .243 varmint rifle, also a Savage.  I keep thinking about upgrading it, and then I shoot another 300yd woodchuck and the feeling goes away.  My particular load is good for a dead on hold anywhere from 50 to 350.  

Learn your rifle, learn your hold overs and all is well.  You do not need to dump a lot of money into it as it came pretty well situated out of the box.  Do check all the screws.  A 1/4" torque wrench in in/lb should be sufficient.  Remember in/lb not ft/lb.  While most factory guns are fine, every now and then, the new guy is tightening the screws.

6.5 manbun gives you a pretty wide range of ammo and critters you can hunt.  I have always had good luck with Savage rifle accuracy.

My 100yd 4 shot group out of my savage Axis .243 with my handloads.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10063/20210730_140802-2033399.jpg

Practical results 260yds off bipod from prone.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/10063/20220416_165455-2351559.jpg
View Quote

Thanks. 6.5 manbun gave me a longer chuckle than I expected. Will only be referring to it as such from now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Bore sight the rifle from a steady rest. Sight in the rifle at a 25 yard target. Shoot one shot at the target from a benchrest. While holding your original aimpoint at the 25 yard target paper...use the scope turrets to move the scope crosshair to the bullet entrance hole on the target.

If you just have a 100 yard backstop berm...shoot at a small clod of dirt on the berm, while a spotter can tell you were the bullet impacted --- Then move the turrets as first stated; or just increment the turrets by calculation.

Shoot three shot groups for sight in...then adjust, if necessary. Don't let the barrel and receiver get too hot. When shooting a three shot group, do it within an approx. 1 minute time frame from a cold barrel; in order to prevent heat getting to the receiver; which will affect zero.

If the barrel is too hot to touch...it has reached the 180 degree fahrenheit mark --- Which can cause throat scaring just in front of the chamber's bore.

If shooting rapid fire...I would suggest limiting each stint to 6 rounds, then let the big gun cool down; or risk going to the 180 degree mark --- Which can be hot enough to fry an egg on metal.

Barrel break-in? --  Check on YouTube
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top