Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2018 2:11:04 PM EDT
I searched I swear.  I'm looking for a headlamp.  This one seems to meet all my needs, but before I spend 3x as much as I've ever spent on one, I wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion better than this one for similar coin.

Fenix HL55 900 Lumen CREE XM-L2 T6 LED Headlamp with 2 X EdisonBright CR123A Lithium batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB6EUQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pCnzAbJD67YAD

ETA,
One note, I'd like something decently small and light weight as this is for packing.  Also, I like a 10-15 L setting for general tasks mostly for the run time, but most camping tasks don't require 300L.  It is nice to have lots of light on tap should I need it.

ETA2:
I bought both the HL50 and the e+Lite. Have yet to use either, but playing around in the yard, I like both for very different reasons. This should free up my Bushnells for dedicated hunting use, the rayovac indestructible for the car, the energizer for the garage (we have a 2 post lift) and the harbor freight for the cabin or maybe the quad pack.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Streamlight bandit. 1/3 of the price. Way less weight, integrated battery.

Light you said, you don't need 300L for tasks. Indeed it's too much.

I normally use a handheld and save the headlamp for things where I really need both hands and I'm working close up,
I don't think the bandit would be appropriate as your only light, but it's a great little helper light.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 of these and love them.

Black Diamond Storm

My only bitch is that there’s a fucking learning curve since all the functions but 1 are done by pushing the one switch various numbers and/or lengths of times.

I also have one of these as my backup lamp (carried in my pack.)

BD ReVolt

I use the rechargeables in it and use my Brunton solar charger to keep them fully charged. It has a lower light output with rechargeables, which is why it’s my backup. The switch is also complicated to learn. Neither put out the 900 lumens of the Fenix you linked, but they’re both lighter with batteries than the Fenix is without, and 250-300 lumens is plenty of light for hiking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Love this light.  Also runs on a single AA.

Amazon Product
  • A high output headlamp with max output of 520 lumens (CREE XP-L V6 LED) in turbo mode powered by one Li-ion 14500 750mAh battery.
  • The logarithmic scale brightness adjustment system allows any brightness from 1.6 lumens to 250 lumens. Furthermore, the TH20 features a built-in SOS signaling mode which is important when roaming out in the wild or confronting dangerous situations.
  • Unlike other light-weight headlamps which are made with plastic, the TH20 is made with aircraft grade aluminum which gives it exceptional durability and excellent heat dissipation allowing it to maintain high output for extended periods of time.

Link Posted: 1/21/2018 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
My favorite is the Fenix HL-50, it takes one AA battery. I have one that I use daily at work (I'm a service electrician) and I have one that's in my hunting pack.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy a headlamp unless you can get it in neutral white tint.  If you want the best, then zebralight is the answer.  They will be the brightest, the lightest and have the longest run time.

If you want to run 18650s

If you want to run eneloops

The thrunite linked above is not bad, although significantly heavier.  If you go that route, don't get the cool white linked, but the other option warm version.

Weight is important if you are going to be using it for long periods.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 1:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This one seems to meet all my needs,

ETA,
One note, I'd like something decently small and light weight as this is for packing.  Also, I like a 10-15 L setting for general tasks mostly for the run time, but most camping tasks don't require 300L
View Quote
What exactly are your "needs"?  Small and lightweight makes me want to suggest the Petzl e+LITE headlamp.  It's the lightest one I own, but it does use two CR2032 batteries and of course, run time is typically less than CR123.

For most my outdoors needs, I've really migrated to single-battery headlamps.  If I want more juice and run time, I go with an 18650 battery headlamp, and I really like the Armytek Wizard headlamps (can't be that price right now!).  They have been extremely durable, simple UI, and excellent features.  The 18650 lights will also use two CR123 batteries and they are large, but the run time with "useful" output on an 18650 battery is simply insane.  Oh, and it's 1/3 the price (on sale) than the Fenix and more than half-the weight (115 grams to 48 grams...both empty).
For good versatility I really like the Fenix HL50 headlamp.  It will take either AA or CR123 batteries (uses an extension tube).  Around the house, I just use AA Eneloops, for backpacking, I switch to the shorter CR123 battery to save a few grams and slightly longer output.

For serious backpacking, I can't remember which model, but I use a Zebra Headlamp.  Again, simple UI, bombproof and very good performance.  My version takes 14500 or AA batteries and is the lightest single cell headlamp I own.  Here, this is the Zebra model I use the most (and it's also on sale): Zebra H52F

Variable output is mandatory for me.  While I rarely use the highest outputs, it's nice to light up the woods at night if you here a serious "bump in the night".  Medium outputs are the most adequate to actually hike out in the dark if needed, and the lower 15 or less lumen outputs are often the most used in and around camp at night or when packing up before sunrise.

So, why single cell headlamps for me (other than the Petzl e+LITE, but it is my emergency backup)?  I carry a spare battery and that allows me to manage my headlamp use and better calculate usage.  Most flashlights that require two cells won't always work if one of them is bad; and your spare batteries weight twice as much.  For an extreme situation, I could easily hike through an entire night, but for actual distance backpacking, you're likely only going to need your light a few times at night (anywhere from 2-3 minutes to 5-10 minutes).  I had a single AA lithium battery last me 10 days on one trip (didn't even use the spare battery), and it had juice left beyond that.

For actual uses?  We almost always made it into our planned site before sundown.  Only twice we actually needed headlamps to set up camp...something we almost always plan to avoid.  We are usually in the hammocks or asleep before sundown.  Calls from mother nature at night or actually just "playing" with the headlamp a few times at night are about all that's needed.  We have (and more often recently), get up before sunrise and I'll use my headlamp on the lowest setting to break camp and pack up...this is probably the most use of my headlamp (10-15 minutes tops).

For our longer trips, I have a very light and compact USB universal (magnetic ends) battery charger.  I pretty much pack an Eneloop or 14500 battery in the headlamp and my spare is usually a lithium battery.  When we resupply, I usually have time to find an outlet, and recharge my electronic devices as well as the primary battery.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not an ultra light hiker. Mostly, I'm trying to cut back on the backups and backups to backups.  While I could see the appeal, I just don't need something like this one, the battery / runtime just isn't enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KYTR0HM?tag=viglink1659178-ar15-20

For a few reasons I like this one.  The battery options, runtime, output, size and $ all fit well within my needs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGYO3SE?tag=viglink1659178-ar15-20

I know I don't need a light for everything, but I'm one of those guys who always has more crap than he needs.  I carry a knife, leatherman wave and streamlight on my person everyday in my cubicle.  It gets exponentially worse when I'm outside.

I take a microstream as a backup, so it would never be life or death if my head lamp failed.  Hell I am still carrying an TLR1 HL on my G19.  Trying to talk myself into cutting back to the G43 with the TLR6.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 of these and love them.

Black Diamond Storm

My only bitch is that there’s a fucking learning curve since all the functions but 1 are done by pushing the one switch various numbers and/or lengths of times.
View Quote
LOL!

I'm a flashlight guy and my sister sent me a BD Storm for Christmas and I just about had a stroke playing with it the first day.

One can pick it up and start pressing buttons, but good luck packing it away and then having to use it 6 months later.

I've got a Fenix HL30 (2xAAs) and a Nitecore HC50 (18650/2xCR123As) and they're fine and infinitely easier to operate.

I have some very complicated U.I.s on flashlights, so that's not the problem.

The Storm is a nice little light, once you have everything memorized, but it'll stay packed away, probably forever.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I now have two Fenix HL60Rs and don't think I would go another direction if I had to do it again.

Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
@juslearnin

I'm just curious about your "don't get the cool white" comment above.  While it will, in the end, come down to personal preference, there doesn't seem to be very many practical differences....... IMO .......... between the two.  Cool white will be slightly brighter, or at least seem so, neutral white will show a bit more of the true color of the objects looked at.  Any input?
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I now have two Fenix HL60Rs and don't think I would go another direction if I had to do it again.

View Quote
Is that an AFO 9000?  I have one, but in their satin finish.  Mine's actually a 9000S, but without the safety.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#12]
No, its a 2551SBK Mini Reflex II

Never had a 9000.
9050SBK AFO and 9052SBK AFO II I do however (Top 2)
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]
They look very similar.

Nice collection.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@juslearnin

I'm just curious about your "don't get the cool white" comment above.  While it will, in the end, come down to personal preference, there doesn't seem to be very many practical differences....... IMO .......... between the two.  Cool white will be slightly brighter, or at least seem so, neutral white will show a bit more of the true color of the objects looked at.  Any input?
View Quote
I have found tint to be much more important to me than lumens when working outside especially for long periods of time.  A neutral or warm tint will allow you to see more detail and also be easier on your eyes if you are working for long periods (say gutting and hauling out an elk in the dark).  It is similar to say reading using a harsh fluorescent light vs an older warmer incandescent tint.

There is a good write up on this from Elzetta here:

https://www.elzetta.com/blog/beamtint/
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm very happy with my Fenix HL50.  Much better than any of the black diamond headlamps that I've had.  I love that it takes one AA or CR123A and not three stupid AAAs like almost every other headlamp
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I searched I swear.  I'm looking for a headlamp.  This one seems to meet all my needs, but before I spend 3x as much as I've ever spent on one, I wanted to ask if anyone has a suggestion better than this one for similar coin.

Fenix HL55 900 Lumen CREE XM-L2 T6 LED Headlamp with 2 X EdisonBright CR123A Lithium batteries https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NB6EUQU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pCnzAbJD67YAD

ETA,
One note, I'd like something decently small and light weight as this is for packing.  Also, I like a 10-15 L setting for general tasks mostly for the run time, but most camping tasks don't require 300L.  It is nice to have lots of light on tap should I need it.
View Quote
iv spent more then that and regretted it
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used headlamps for a long time. I've tried a thousand different ones. I like three straps and the batteries to be on the back. They balance on your head better. I've tried hard dollar and cheapos. The cheap ones work just as well and last just as long. The type I have been happiest with or like this one. Small white and durable. The one I picked up was a Cree branded one from China for like 15 bucks. But this one is similar.

Edit: This one is better. I prefer the non-zoomable models with the switch on the front.

Amazon Product
  • --PERFECT LIGHTING EXPERIENCE HEAD TORCH- The CREE XP-E R3 LED head torch with output of 500 lumens which can illuminate up to 328 feet (100 meters) away. 1.2 to 1.5 Times brighter than normal lights.
  • --GOOD HEAT DISSIPATION and WATERPROOF HEADLAMP- Made of aluminum alloy, which makes the lamp heat faster. With highly waterproof performance , the lamp is free from splashing water.
  • --HUMANIZED DESIGN LED HEADLAMP- On/ Off by hand, easily control and adjust. Anti-slip headband for you to avoid the strap sliding gradually down When you running or hiking. The soft rubber cover on the battery pack makes it comfortable on the back of your head. Weighing only 3.1oz , portable for you to carry out.

Link Posted: 1/23/2018 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a petzl. I love cr123 wonder lights as much as the next guy but for a headlamp there is no point especially for light weight. Petzl does 300 lumen on 3 AAA. Has 3 brightness setting and a red. Model is reactic or something $30 without the rechargeable battery.

It's all I use for my winter mountaineering which means it is robust.

I have tried pretty much every headlamp out there wife and I both agree this is the best and we use them pretty hard at times. You will get something cooler loo king or made of metal and regret it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Basic LED 3AAA with top strap headlamp?  Get the HomeDepot Rayovac Indestructible.

Its more of a spot than flood vs most LED headlamps.

This is the one that has been around for years:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Indestructible-3AAA-100-Lumen-Headlight-DIYHPHL-B/202968174

But it looks like this might be a newer version:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-Workhorse-Pro-3AAA-LED-Virtually-Indestructible-Headlight-DIYHPHL-BC/206767101

I am not a fan of the multi led rayovac that you can get at wally world.  The home depot version is a solid light.  My wife and I have used them for years.

I have used energizer, cabelas brand, and am currently using a Pelican as my every day headlamp (I live in the woods where there are no street lights.)

I don't mind a ton of modes but they can become cumbersome and unnecessary.  High medium and low or even high and low is really enough for me.  I really do like my camping headlamps to have a red light mode, helps with night vision but around my vehicle or the house I almost never use a red light.

There are thousands of nice looking headlamps on amazon, just pick whichever one you like the best and go for it.  Keep a backup hand and your good to go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have drawers full of pricey headlamps from Fenix to Black Diamond and cheaper ones from Coleman or Energizer. All i ever use anymore is the Petzl e+Lite. It's just so compact, lightweight, and easy to use. It's not the brightest but If I need blinding light I just pull out whatever handheld is in my pocket at the time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#22]
What Rock6 said.

I keep a Fenix HL50 in my hipbelt pocket as my go to light
and an e+LITE and a spare CR123A in my repair kit ( bundle of insecurities )
as back ups.

The e+LITE is badass and certainly could be your only headlamp if you've gone
down the ultralight rabbit hole.  The current model has almost twice the output
of the previous generation and but has a bulkier head-strap.  They both weigh 27 gms.

I still prefer the older one. As a back up I don't need the extra Lumens and like its
compactness.  I don't love the new battery management - it keeps the light level
relatively constant then just shuts down.  I like that the previous generation gets dimmer
and dimmer but still works until it dies... it seems more useful to me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#23]
For a bit more background, I have several cheaper lights now.  A Wal-Mart Bushnell, or 3, at least one AA version and at least 1 AAA version.  I have the 3 AA energizer , the top of the line harbor freight one and a rayovac indestructible along with 2 or 3 other cheaper ones.  Rather than taking one crappy one that may fail or I hit the on switch inadvertently and run the batteries dead in my pack, I'd like something with a little more reliability.  Something makes me feel like I have to pay more than the $10-25 any one of the aforementioned units cost.  I don't care how good it is, I'm not interested in a $100 unit.  $40-60 seems to cover a TON of options.

I don't want a 3 AAA or a 3AA unit, but I think I want something more than a 2032 deal too. Although, the e lite has some appeal.  Spare batteries a plenty for very little weight.

For general tasks I do prefer the top band style with 3 AA, but I don't need anything like that for packing.

I like the battery options of the fenix hl50, if I were to buy right now, that would probably be the one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Any recommendation for a smallish, AA headlamp with a red setting?
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would say that a variable light output, a simple and intuitive method of operation, waterproofness and the ability to operate the light while wearing gloves are things well-worth considering.  Note that "water-resistant" is NOT equivalent to "waterproof". Please also note that the typical headlamp will be used far more often at lower settings than at the highest setting.  Needless to say, lower settings/output roughly equate to longer batt life, all other things being equal.

One thing I've noticed is that many headlamps are not altogether hat-friendly.  There are occasional problems with interfacing headlamps and hats, and this problem can cause issues during rainy and/or very cold weather, when hats/hoods are commonly employed.  One should investigate how well one's headlamp works with one's headgear.  In some cases, this might modifying either the headlamp, or one;s headgear.

Some headlights do not mount the batts on the headlight assy itself, and instead require the user to mount the batt pack on their body.  While less convenient than all-in-one types, having the batt pack under one's outer garments can greatly increase useful batt life in extremely cold temps.

The ability of the headlamp to accept commonly-used rechargeable and non-rechargeable batts should likewise not be overlooked.  I would never buy any light that had a proprietary, non-removable battery, even if the batt was a rechargeable.

I would appreciate ROCK6 possibly revising his recommended list in light of my comments above.  I'd buy what he recommends in his revised list.  @ROCK6.  No offense to other posters, but ROCK6 has longstanding civvy backbacking experience, as well as relevant mil experience.  I have come to trust his advice.

Submitted for your consideration.
View Quote
You give me way too much credit raf, I'm just really experienced at screwing up and trying to learn from my mistakes...oh, and posting my AARs here

You bring up some good points.  I typically like to avoid the separate battery-pack lights...mostly because they're bulky and often best used for serious/extended night or caving use.  I would still recommend the angled lights (Armytek, Zebra, etc.) for use with a hat.  I can get them to work on a helmet or ball cap (although the angle of light won't be right at your feet with a larger bill).  Just for simplicity, the single bands work well for me and I usually take the top support straps off unless it's a really heavy light (like the Fenix HL60).

As long as your light is IPX8 (IP68 is the highest rated lights I've heard of) rated, it's going to be waterproof for anything except doing scuba or diving.

I like simple UI selections.  I hate having to cycle to where I last left the light and is one reason I really like the ArmyTek models.  You can start with a fire-fly mode (something like 0.15 lumen) and cycle up and the last mode you left it on, that is what it will turn on with (unless you press and hold for the lowest firefly output).  It's less a "tactical" sun-scorcher and more utility, but that's what I prefer in a headlamp and often run less than 50-60 lumen for most tasks.  At my "seasoned" age, I still have to get up once or twice a night to answer a call from mother nature...I use the ArmyTek on the 1.5 lumen mode as I have to walk about 30 yards outside the building over rocks (and right now in the snow) to use the bathroom.  My headlamp gets used a lot

Having a lock-out option is also important, even if it's a just a cap rotation (as long as it doesn't jeopardize it's waterproofing); some have a simple UI way to set a lock-out which is also a good option.  What you don't want is your light getting activated in your pack (and higher output models will actually burn a hole in your pack).

I'm with raf on getting any of the bigger lights that are strictly rechargeable.  I know they're a little less efficient (maybe not), but there are several magnetic charging options for 18650, 18350, or 14500 batteries.  I typically avoid the mini-USB rechargeable lights; it's just one additional point of potential failure.  I'm okay with the option, but an outdoors light is (IMHO) best used with a replaceable spare battery, and if the battery can be recharged inside the light, I would prefer a magnetic charger.  Even with most of our backpacking, I carry a small AC USB charger and simply love this universal magnetic charger as it will charge just about any battery:

Ultimately, many of the decisions come down to the battery choice.  I love the CR2032 Petzl e+LITE, but not as a primary, yet I almost always carry it as a backup.  I use the Zebra 14500/AA headlamp for backpacking, only because it's the lightest headlamp I've found with the minimum features I like, and I can use regular Lithium batteries (which are lighter than either 14500 or Ene-Loop batteries).  If I had to pick one light to cover most of my needs for extended periods, I would choose my ArmyTek Wizard in 18650.  Everybody has their favorite LED brands, and what typically separates likes from dislikes are the smaller features such as preferred UI, output levels, and battery preferences.  I do like the Fenix HL50 as it's a solid light and can use with AA or CR123.  I only wish it was rated to take the higher voltage 14500 or 18350 batteries.  For a "tactical light", I also have the Streamlight Sidewinder Compact as it has red and IR, but it can also take AAA, AA or CR123 batteries.  For me, I've just found Zebra, Fenix, and ArmyTek as my preferred brands for headlamps (single battery).  Here's what I have with me in Afghanistan:

There are just so many options and choices and they change almost monthly.  From my recent experience, if I was starting over, I would go take a look at ArmyTek.  A guy from another forum turned me on to them, and I now have two and they are just reliable performers with a simple UI, great features, and a robust design.  I have had an issue with a couple Zebra lights (both sent back and fixed, but shipping took them out of play for over a couple months).  I've never had problems with Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Sunwayman, or FourSevens.  Options are good, but it does take a while to find out what you really like and getting a product that performs with the features you really prefer.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#27]
For a small, robust (aluminum, not plastic), single battery (AA or 14500) headlamp with an outstanding UI look at the Thrunite TH20.  Variable output, memory to your last level on, immediate access to moonlight from off and direct access to high from anywhere.  One big button works it all.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 12:57:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For a small, robust (aluminum, not plastic), single battery (AA or 14500) headlamp with an outstanding UI look at the Thrunite TH20.  Variable output, memory to your last level on, immediate access to moonlight from off and direct access to high from anywhere.  One big button works it all.
View Quote
Hmmm...this seems....familiar...
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:30:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Any recommendation for a smallish, AA headlamp with a red setting?
View Quote
I'm a Fenix fanboy.  They have a model for pretty much whatever you intend on doing with it.
I usually use the ones with the 4 AA box mounted on the back of the headband, or the hunting/fishing 900 lumen models.
I have a smaller one with lower lumens and a red light for a camp headlamp also.
I've used, Petzl (which was a good headlamp) and upgraded to LEDs and Princeton Tecs, but the Fenix seems to work out the best for me.
Pelican made one that was decent similar to the Tikka models.

And now I'm leaning more to the rechargeable 18650/CR123 battery models.
I've been using their flashlights for the past 10 years or more also.

As stated above check out ThruNite also.
On YouTube check out Preparedmind101 videos on flashlights.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
For a bit more background, I have several cheaper lights now.  A Wal-Mart Bushnell, or 3, at least one AA version and at least 1 AAA version.  I have the 3 AA energizer , the top of the line harbor freight one and a rayovac indestructible along with 2 or 3 other cheaper ones.  Rather than taking one crappy one that may fail or I hit the on switch inadvertently and run the batteries dead in my pack, I'd like something with a little more reliability.  Something makes me feel like I have to pay more than the $10-25 any one of the aforementioned units cost.  I don't care how good it is, I'm not interested in a $100 unit.  $40-60 seems to cover a TON of options.

I don't want a 3 AAA or a 3AA unit, but I think I want something more than a 2032 deal too. Although, the e lite has some appeal.  Spare batteries a plenty for very little weight.

For general tasks I do prefer the top band style with 3 AA, but I don't need anything like that for packing.

I like the battery options of the fenix hl50, if I were to buy right now, that would probably be the one.
View Quote
Hi , my name is cohiba and I'm a Fenix aholic !!! With that said I purchased a energizer head lamp from a Kmart that was going out of business for $17 and it's a great light. Also picked up 3 of those Bushnell's 225 lumen headlamps from Walmart on clearance last week for $11, not a bad price to throw in a bag or glovebox. Almost all the flashlights are on clearance at Walmart right now
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I have been really happy with Zebralight headlights

http://www.zebralight.com/H52-AA-Headlamp-Cool-White_p_131.html
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Petzel Tika.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Petzl Pixa 3. I gave up my surefire flashlights for it. It even mounts to my hard hat.
Here, though available on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Amazon Product
  • External battery pack design:it can reduce the weight on the head ,the weight of LED headlamps only 200g.
  • Three light model :LOW -High-Fast strobe.Please long press if you need and the side light will open
  • Powerful LED Headlamps:15000 MAh battery capacity.full of electricity can light illumination 14 to 18 hours. weak light for 27 to 35 hours.Provides the light distance up to 2600 feet (500 meters), IPX4 waterproof.

Enough blindness?
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I couldn't help the curiosity.  I bought the  Petzl e+LITE.  Really nice.  Maybe not quite what I wanted, but it would make an excellent spare when I can afford a few ounces.

I think I'm going to buy the thrunight or the HL50.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I couldn't help the curiosity.  I bought the  Petzl e+LITE.  Really nice.  Maybe not quite what I wanted, but it would make an excellent spare when I can afford a few ounces.

View Quote
I really wish Fenix would upgrade the HL50.  I love that it uses either AA or CR123, but it's not rated for the higher voltage 16340 or 14500 Li-Ion batteries which is a shame.  I still think it's a very versatile light, but could be improved with that upgrade.  Woods Walker does excellent reviews...he's the one that directed me to Armytek, but here's a comparison between the two headlamps:  Fenix HL50 vs. Armytek Tiara

I agree with this assessment. The HL50's ability to use CR123 batteries is a significant bonus.  The only downside is the headlamp is larger and heavier to use rechargeable AA batteries.  If this light could use the 16340 Li-Ion, it would be ideal for me.  I do prefer the UI and output levels of the Armytek more though.  Both are very comfortable, single-band headlamps and the metal base on the HL50 is quite sturdy and if it's really cold, just wear a thin beanie camp under it.  The Zebra AA/14500 is the lightest headlamp (compared to others that take AA sized batteries) that I use for backpacking.  The Armytek is overbuilt and the Fenix HL50 is bulky due to the barrel sized for CR123 batteries (and it doesn't take 14500 Li-Ion batteries).  If you're not worried about using 14500 or Li-Ion batteries, the Fenix HL50 is the best bang for your buck.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because af this thread, I bought the HL50 and like it a lot.  Seems durable and provides a decent amount of usable light.   I like that it takes AA or 123 batteries too
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:46:08 AM EDT
[#38]
At first I thought the 14500 option was much more appealing than CR123, but I'm not convinced there's a reason.  Preferably, I have the primary battery in it and AA's for secondary or backups.  But the CR123's are also in my TLR-1HL, so there's that.  Compatibility has advantages.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I've used headlamps for a long time. I've tried a thousand different ones. I like three straps and the batteries to be on the back. They balance on your head better. I've tried hard dollar and cheapos. The cheap ones work just as well and last just as long. The type I have been happiest with or like this one. Small white and durable. The one I picked up was a Cree branded from China for like 15 bucks. But this one is similar.

Edit: This one is better. I prefer the non-zoomable models with the switch on the front.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01HEW44J4
View Quote
If you want a cheap headlamp get the rayovac indestructible from home depot.  There is more than one, look for the 100 lumen version.  They cost less than the one you listed and are great. The only drawback is weak clasps holding the battery cover on.  Otherwise good to go and take commonly available aaa batteries.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I just bought the Petzyl Actik Core. I love it initially, but I’ve only had it a few days so we’ll see.

After having many different headlamps that all took AAA batteries, my must-haves were:
Rechargeable, preferably built-in
Low-lumen/moonlight mode
Preferably red light in addition to low-lumen mode but willing to do either/or if it had an actual moonlight mode
Bright enough to hitch the trailer up in pitch black, do yard chores with zero issues(which include chickens, etc.)
Must have combo of great diffused/flood light for above tasks and also a throwy bright light

There are USB-charged 18650’s now(built-in USB charger) that would fulfill the rechargeable requirement, that was an option. I wanted to be able to regularly top off the headlamp with no extra charger other than the micro-USB cables I have everywhere, as this headlamp will see regular use and needs to be ready to go. For camping and backpacking I always have a USB power pack and likely a few AAA’s as backup too.
I own/have owned Zebralight, Fenix, Quark, Nitecore, and many others. Ended up with Petzyl, in small part due to this thread I’m sure, thought I’ve known about them for a long time.

It’s pricey at $70, but it was way overdue.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got a couple of various models.  I've been using a Black Diamond Zenix IQ since they came out, it replaced an older Petzl halogen that still works but is badly outdated.  The battery pack on the back is better for extended use in my experience (i.e. search and rescue), especially when used on a helmet.  There are newer, better lights out there but the Zenix keeps on going so I keep using it for certain tasks.  An older Black Diamond Storm is still my go to for most tasks and the one that gets tossed in my packs most often.  It's a great light that does almost everything I need a headlamp to do (I've used it in pouring rain but it's not waterproof); I've replaced the band on it twice now.  I've also got a new Storm but like some others have said, it's overly complicated if you don't use it frequently so it lives in it's original box in my closet.  In addition to the Black Diamonds, I've got two of the older Petzl e+LITEs, one lives in the center console of the truck and the other is my backup that goes in whatever pack I'm using including my carry-on bag.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#42]
So far, been really pleased with the Wowtac A2S - a nice ZebraLight-esque model that sells for 30 bucks.

Runs on either a single 18650 (included), or a pair of non-rechargeable CR123's.

They also make a $20 A2 model, but it doesn't have the brightness or run-time of the A2S version - mostly due to using a cheaper LED and a smaller capacity 18650 battery.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So far, been really pleased with the Wowtac A2S - a nice ZebraLight-esque model that sells for 30 bucks.

Runs on either a single 18650 (included), or a pair of non-rechargeable CR123's.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61xgVsXaJGL._SY450_.jpg

https://store-l43z0c1llh.mybigcommerce.com/product_images/uploaded_images/a2s-parameter.jpg

They also make a $20 A2 model, but it doesn't have the brightness or run-time of the A2S version - mostly due to using a cheaper LED and a smaller capacity 18650 battery.
View Quote
Ha!

I was browsing Illumination Supply's site last night looking at Army Tek's stuff.  I have no AT gear, but people either love them, or hate the crap out of them.  They have their older XM-L2 CW A1 Tiara on sale for $27.50 and I was thinking--'hey Chris...that's a pretty cheap price, even with shipping, maybe I should try one', since I wanted a single AA type HL ah-la the Zebralight 5xxx series.

I see that they have both the A2S and A2 for about $30 and $20 respectively.

I'll have to mull it over.  I've got three here already: Fenix HL30, NiteCore HC50 and a Black Diamond STORM, but I rarely use them.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Black Diamond are about the best on the market currently.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Black Diamond are about the best on the market currently.
View Quote
I'm just a hack and don't use HLs all that often, but there are some pretty good HLs out there.

For Christmas, my sister got me the newer version of the STORM, as referenced above and it's an overly complicated light that doesn't really bring all that much extra to the table and unless you're using it on a regular basis, good luck figuring it out in an darkened emergency setting.

The one Skibane points out and the ArmyTek Tiara (even the older Cree XL-L2 U2 CW) would be better options for $20+ less money, IMO.  The knock on these two is that they don't come with colored LEDs.

Chris
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm just a hack and don't use HLs all that often, but there are some pretty good HLs out there.

For Christmas, my sister got me the newer version of the STORM, as referenced above and it's an overly complicated light that doesn't really bring all that much extra to the table and unless you're using it on a regular basis, good luck figuring it out in an darkened emergency setting.

The one Skibane points out and the ArmyTek Tiara (even the older Cree XL-L2 U2 CW) would be better options for $20+ less money, IMO.  The knock on these two is that they don't come with colored LEDs.

Chris
View Quote
Not much to figure out.
Click on, click off.
Click hold to get red or white.
It's very difficult to accidentally activate the annoying strobe function.
A lot of other lights force you to cycle through it.

Don't have to mess with the brightness settings if you don't want.
Set the brightness you use generally, then use the click on click off.

I have an Inova HL that has a swipe switch instead of a clicker.  Now THAT thing is complicated, and I often cant get it to turn on without several attempts.

I don't really like the Tikka's with the slide over lens, it doesn't work as well.

The Black Diamond are much brighter than the other models out there, and can be throttled down, in both white and red spectrums.
In some HL the red are fixed output LEDs, same with the white, or three progressive settings and the infamous "Strobe and SOS" you have to cycle through.
BD gives direct access to the most often used brightness setting.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:44:40 AM EDT
[#47]
So far, only several minor nit-picks with the Wowtac:

1. The USB recharger circuit is built into the included 18650 battery, rather than into the flashlight. So, not only do you need to remove the battery before you can recharge it, but the flashlight isn't capable of charging any other standard 18650 batteries you may be using. On the plus side, the lack of a USB connector on the outside of the flashlight reduces the chance of water ingress.

2. The rubber flashlight holder on the front of the headband has square edges where it rests against your forehead. While wearing the headband, these edges get pulled in towards your skin, which can be uncomfortable.

The obvious solution would have been to round these edges during manufacture. Fortunately, it only takes a few seconds to round them off yourself with a bench grinder or Dremel tool.

3. Wowtac includes a pair of spare O-rings, but no spare rubber switch cover.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Oops, meant to add this to the OP.

ETA2:
I bought both the HL50 and the e+Lite.  Have yet to use either, but playing around in the yard, I like both for very different reasons.  This should free up my Bushnells for dedicated hunting use, the rayovac indestructible for the car, the energizer for the garage (we have a 2 post lift) and the harbor freight for the cabin or maybe the quad pack.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Oops, meant to add this to the OP.

ETA2:
I bought both the HL50 and the e+Lite.  Have yet to use either, but playing around in the yard, I like both for very different reasons.  This should free up my Bushnells for dedicated hunting use, the rayovac indestructible for the car, the energizer for the garage (we have a 2 post lift) and the harbor freight for the cabin or maybe the quad pack.  
View Quote
I just recommend storing you lights without batteries, or stick with lithium or NiMH batteries.  Whatever you do avoid alkaline batteries.

As to colored LEDs they are really niche wavelengths with minor roles.  I do like UV for blood tracking, but it's been shown low illum in white is just fine to preserve your night vision without needing red.  The key is getting a light with very low output options.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quick review update, have had the Petzyl Actik Core long enough to field-test it now. Extremely lightweight for its form factor, great light quality and easy to use. Did some light hiking in the woods at night a couple times, and plenty of use around the campsite. The tint is probably on the “pure white” side of neutral but not noticeably blue, it was great for cooking in the dark. Red light was sufficient for hiking in the shadow-dark of the woods as was the dim white setting. I bumped it up to one of the mid-power levels and it illuminated the trail for small kids walking in front of me as well. Great headlamp so far, no battery life testing yet as I topped it off after use every couple days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top