Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2019 8:52:24 AM EDT
Hello folks, a friends and I will be traveling to Garnett SC for our first hog hunt. I'll be bringing my 300 black out and he's bringing a 308. Anyone have any pointers as to what to bring, how to dress while in a stand, etc.?

What's the best way to keep the meat after it's been processed? Should it be bagged, then put on ice, or just directly on ice for a few days?

Thank,
Joe
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool, it's fun as hell.

I'd just bring the same stuff as you'd take deer hunting or whatever - flashlight, headlamp, fixed blade, bottle of water for cleaning hands, and lots of warm clothes. It's hard to stay warm when you're not moving. Hand warmers if it's really cold. Don't forget gallon ziploc bags for meat.

Optional - sidearm if possible, a couple nitrile gloves, and that's about all I can think of

I've never really kept hog meat, but for deer I skin, then quarter them out and take the back straps and tenderloins, and put all the meat directly on ice in a cooler. Drain melt and blood daily, and I'll leave the meat on ice for 3 days or so. Add ice as needed, then finish processing and vacuum bag it. I imagine the same will work for hogs.

Good luck! Post pics
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds great, thank you!
The hog hunt isn't till March, so I'm sure the weather in SC will be warm. Were not allowed to bring sidearms on the hunt, only around the lodge were able to carry.
I was just concerned about the meat staying on ice without it being bagged, but I didn't think about draining it daily. It will def. be on ice for at least 3 days.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds great, thank you!
The hog hunt isn't till March, so I'm sure the weather in SC will be warm. Were not allowed to bring sidearms on the hunt, only around the lodge were able to carry.
I was just concerned about the meat staying on ice without it being bagged, but I didn't think about draining it daily. It will def. be on ice for at least 3 days.
View Quote
Yep, I put meat over the ice so it's not resting in water, that's about the only trick to it.

And sidearm isn't crucial IMO esp from a stand, it's mostly just for finishing downed hogs with a 15 cent rd instead a $1 rd. No sweat.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep, I put meat over the ice so it's not resting in water, that's about the only trick to it.

And sidearm isn't crucial IMO esp from a stand, it's mostly just for finishing downed hogs with a 15 cent rd instead a $1 rd. No sweat.
View Quote
I always carry a sidearm on hog hunts because a vast majority of my kills were walking up to the stand or redoubt.

I highly recommend placing rice bran on the ground in front of the stand about four hours before nightfall.  Hogs are mostly nocturnal in areas where they are hunted.  However, their urge to eat (they eat more than deer) is overwhelming and the younger ones will come out before dusk.

Did I mention you should try hog hunting that area at night?

Nothing compares to seeing a group of red LED illuminated hogs running at you at night and you try to react to get them all.

Hogs will hide in the brush and watch you.  Walking away from the hunt, you should go prone in the bushes and wait every hundred yards to see if they come out to see where the human went.  Those are my favorite hog kills!

Good luck and give'em hell!

Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:37:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds great, thank you!

Pretty much the above if you have an old beer fridge I like to put it on racks and let it dry age for  a couple of days. But if not ice will work. We've carried them a long ways this time of year with ice in the chest cavity and keeping the vehicle moving with lots of air flow.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll actually be staying at a lodge, and will be in a blind from 3 pm till about 9 pm or so. I believe they bait as well.
Thank you guys for the info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top