Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2018 10:47:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dIIshoots]
How much does he weigh? Hope he shows up in September.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTM1] [#1]
Bears are so hard to judge. That second picture almost makes it look like last years cub or maybe a two year old.

What is the size of the container in the pic?
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The chimney flu is 24" its 26" to the top of the granite chip. Add the extra inches for the hill and I'm coming up with between 36 and 48 inches to the top of the back.  
And when I walked out on the deck to fire up the grill last nite he was in the shed about 10 feet away. When he came busting out I almost shit and let me tell ya that's no cub or yearling...September mite come early

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:22:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikerman9967] [#3]
may weigh 130, maybe even closer to 115. small sow. you can see it in the long snout with big ears. very very young
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Update?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, big bears have little ears..... also males are much more "blocky" then females...especially prime males... older prime males have real wide shoulders as well...That looks like a younger male or maybe a female...what will get you close is go find a clear paw print and measure the width of the front paw track...should come close to the bears real size...
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
OP, big bears have little ears..... also males are much more "blocky" then females...especially prime males... older prime males have real wide shoulders as well...That looks like a younger male or maybe a female...what will get you close is go find a clear paw print and measure the width of the front paw track...should come close to the bears real size...
View Quote
This.

The ears is a dead giveaway.

Had this young black bear stroll through my front yard last week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Been hunting almost every day in September and will conclude the season October 9th. We have not treed any shooter bears in my opinion but I thought I would post what some of the bears we did tree look like. There seems to be difference of opinion with what a 100 pound bear looks like so here is one my son bagged a few years back. This sow was aged by the DNR at 11 years old and weighed in at just over 300 pounds.

while the ears can be a good indication of a big bear 300 pounds around here is better than average.

Here's a cub.

Here's a yearling...I would estimate the weight at 80 to 100 pounds live weight.

and here are the hounds providing the entertainment.

I have 3 days left to hunt and find something worthy of harvesting and if it happens cool. If not we still had a great year in the WI Northwoods and got to listen to some wonderful hound music.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the white chest markings on the above bear! We can’t use hounds in my AO so bears aren’t taken very often.  Here is a little guy (he was only 160 gutted) I took this year.

I was watching a huge clear cut which went about 300 yards out...only to have him sneak up behind me on a tiny hillside at 48 yards.  Probably wouldn’t have even seen him if he didn’t break a branch!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Today is the last day of the season and the dogs did another good job. The bear treed only 50 yards from the road.

So I walked in and upon closer inspection we determined it was maybe 100# and probably a female.

This was a legal bear by the rules and it would have been a easy drag out, but I just couldn't see killing it for the sake of filling the tag.
And that's why I love running with the hounds...you can always throw it back and hunt another day.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Good thread OP.  I probably would have passed too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Good no-shoot, OP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dIIshoots:
Today is the last day of the season and the dogs did another good job. The bear treed only 50 yards from the road.

https://i.imgur.com/bW8zoai.png

So I walked in and upon closer inspection we determined it was maybe 100# and probably a female.

https://i.imgur.com/bZTRyYL.png

This was a legal bear by the rules and it would have been a easy drag out, but I just couldn't see killing it for the sake of filling the tag.
And that's why I love running with the hounds...you can always throw it back and hunt another day.  
View Quote
Well done, OP!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top