Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2021 3:43:32 PM EDT
So for you hay croppers out there a moment of your time please.

Currently I use an old new Holland roll bar rake. It works fine enough. Just slow.  We’ll be cutting more hay later this year and next year. Almost 80 acres total now.

I went rotary rake shopping the other day. I found a Kuhn 3pt rotary rake within my budget.

I don’t know anything about 3pt hitch rakes. It does have a front wheel too, however.  

Slightly above my budget I found a sequia one that is a bit wider, but is a trailer mounted.

I’ve read briefly trailer mounted are better for uneven ground. All my fields are mostly very flat, besides one field that is pretty bumpy from ruts. Needs reset and some drainage done to it, but it’s only 9 acres.

Rest are all flat with only a few holes we avoid anyways. No major ruts. The biggest field is extremely flat. 30 acres of super flat as we just re did it.

Anyone have any experience with a 3pt rotary rake?
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:39:11 AM EDT
[#1]
As you get older more equipment becomes draw bar mounted because of easy hook up. If you have a tractor dedicated to the 3pt rake I would consider it. But if you’re swapping equipment a lot I would go draw bar.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I am just getting started trying to hay some property, and everything I've read online the consensus seems to be trailer rake is the way to go.

But I've got a neighbor with a 3pt wheel rake, and he absolutely loves it and swears by it. He has some cows, so he puts up a bit of ditch hay for them, and he says there is nothing better than the 3pt rake for that. So that complicates the question a bit.

I find a lot of cheap 3 pt wheel rakes for sale around me and they seem like a good way to get started. No tires to worry about, no gear box, if anything replace some of the wheels and go rake. But the consensus is against that idea so it's hard to tell.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As you get older more equipment becomes draw bar mounted because of easy hook up. If you have a tractor dedicated to the 3pt rake I would consider it. But if you’re swapping equipment a lot I would go draw bar.
View Quote

Not really swapping. We use one tractor to cut and bale.

One tractor to run the Tedder and rake.

But we don’t swap like the Tedder for the rake mid day or anything like that. When it’s on there, it’s on there for the day.

I mean we also have enough tractors that I could dedicate it to live on all the time.  

We technically have more tractors than we do hay equipment lol…
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am just getting started trying to hay some property, and everything I've read online the consensus seems to be trailer rake is the way to go.

But I've got a neighbor with a 3pt wheel rake, and he absolutely loves it and swears by it. He has some cows, so he puts up a bit of ditch hay for them, and he says there is nothing better than the 3pt rake for that. So that complicates the question a bit.

I find a lot of cheap 3 pt wheel rakes for sale around me and they seem like a good way to get started. No tires to worry about, no gear box, if anything replace some of the wheels and go rake. But the consensus is against that idea so it's hard to tell.
View Quote

So I did more research and these are the pros and cons:

Cons:
Harder to hook up.
Not good on uneven ground. (Flows with tractor, not independently)
Smaller size typically.
Most of the time more expensive vs size.  

Pros:
can be lifted at the end of rows to make neater rows.
Better on smaller fields due to lifting and turning.
Less risk of breakage via backing up and such.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Another thing I think of all the time is: couldn't you just unhook the top link and let the rake follow the ground? You'd lose the ability to lift it, but it seems to me the rake should flow a lot nicer over the ground if that's a concern.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another thing I think of all the time is: couldn't you just unhook the top link and let the rake follow the ground? You'd lose the ability to lift it, but it seems to me the rake should flow a lot nicer over the ground if that's a concern.
View Quote

The tractor I intend to put it on has 3pt float.  

The trailer type just tilts a bit more side to side. Due to the play in the pins, plus not being attached on 2 sides.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Well.  I bought the Kuhn 3pt rotary rake.

Coming in Wednesday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pros:
can be lifted at the end of rows to make neater rows.
View Quote

A hydraulic fold drawbar pulled rake can be lifted to make turns. Put it in float when raking so it floats over the ground and lift at the ends.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.

Besides....that lift...

Just tow the damn thing...

ETA:  Oh well...shoulda read the whole thread.  But you have enough tractors that if it becomes a pain, you can dedicate one to it.

The ends of the rows.....that never seemed to be an issue with the tow-behind, for us.  (Keep in mind this was a long time ago that I used this equipment...back when we cut hay with a single flip-up blade with no covering, that would cut people in two if you got hit.  This was why my dad never wanted me to cut hay.  He was scared.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Besides....that lift...

ETA:  Oh well...shoulda read the whole thread.  But you have enough tractors that if it becomes a pain, you can dedicate one to it.

The ends of the rows.....that never seemed to be an issue with the tow-behind, for us.  (Keep in mind this was a long time ago that I used this equipment...back when we cut hay with a single flip-up blade with no covering, that would cut people in two if you got hit.  This was why my dad never wanted me to cut hay.  He was scared.

Yeah.  Missing from that picture is a fully functional partially restored IH 806 with a 1206 turbo, a 1952 farmall super C, and my 2305 Deere.

That’s not including heavy equipment…

We have too much shit
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Darf is the answer to a rake question, although probably too much rake for 80 acres.
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:02:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]

I have several three point rakes.
I use them as spare parts for my pull type rake.
Have fun haying.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 9:19:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/BC8A60BE-C7B2-43A3-A14F-4904E3EFB0A7-1918612.jpg

Yeah.  Missing from that picture is a fully functional partially restored IH 806 with a 1206 turbo, a 1952 farmall super C, and my 2305 Deere.

We have too much shit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Besides....that lift...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/BC8A60BE-C7B2-43A3-A14F-4904E3EFB0A7-1918612.jpg

We have too much shit

You never have to many tractors when you ruin a tire on the weekend and another tractor goes down with a hydraulic leak. Just hook up the spare then fix when your done haying. I looked really hard at the little Kuhn rotary rake. But my wife and mom decided we needed a new all in one silage wrapper. But it was so wet we weren’t able to use it for our first cutting this year. But I’m planting some hay grazer to make hayledge. We have an eight wheel wheel rake that’s trailered. So now we have two basket or bar rakes just sitting. I will admit the basket rake is still much nicer for flipping a windrow.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgot to take pictures because I wasn’t running it.

Raked and baled 20 acres today. As we got another few to do. The 3 point really is nice in the smaller fields with odd angles. Being able to lift it up is amazing.

Worked super well. The baler loved it.  Really gets the air in the rows.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:03:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Forgot to take pictures because I wasn’t running it.

Raked and baled 20 acres today. As we got another few to do. The 3 point really is nice in the smaller fields with odd angles. Being able to lift it up is amazing.

Worked super well. The baler loved it.  Really gets the air in the rows.
View Quote

We baled five two to three acre food plots yesterday and my wife would have killed to have had a three point rake. Planted 22 acres of hay grazer yesterday for a total of 72 acres. Now I just need rain.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are worried about the end of your windrows you may try a different technique for raking. Do you run 2 tractors at the same time? 1 raking right in front of the baler?

Come into the field and make long straight passes. Once that’s done you come back around the field 2 or 3 times and it cleans up your ends. Baler comes into the field and picks up the edge passes and then has room to turn around on the straight windrows. If you run a baler right behind the rake you make your passes around first and then long straight passes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are worried about the end of your windrows you may try a different technique for raking. Do you run 2 tractors at the same time? 1 raking right in front of the baler?

Come into the field and make long straight passes. Once that’s done you come back around the field 2 or 3 times and it cleans up your ends. Baler comes into the field and picks up the edge passes and then has room to turn around on the straight windrows. If you run a baler right behind the rake you make your passes around first and then long straight passes.
View Quote

We rake 3-4 hours ahead of the baler. Gives it a little more time to dry especially first cut. Thick Timothy grass.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top