Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2020 2:29:55 AM EDT
Wife Texted me to call home earlier.  Kids went to do their afternoon chicken check and found one dead chicken and my other 5 were missing and no clue what had happened.  Looked around everywhere.  My wife and 3 kids were looking and eventually 3 popped out from hiding under the deck another was found in the back corner in the most wooded area we have on the lot.  Since I couldn't come home I had her put the chickens in our dog run.  They were all huddled together and all of a sudden they started freaking out.  My kids went out and saw a hawk land and perch in a tree nearby.  I had them put the chickens in the shed.  Ten minutes later I get this pic.

Guess I am getting overhead poultry netting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Is that a metaphor for the Antifa and the Feds
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Would but they are federally protected and I am in a somewhat residential neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Would but they are federally protected and I am in a somewhat residential neighborhood.
View Quote

They are protected here as well and our birds are constantly under pressure...
concealed is concealed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Be like the Boy Scouts used to be, Be Prepared.
If you don't prepare for all the things that want to eat your yummy chickens, then this will always happen to you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 6:43:26 AM EDT
[#6]
SSS.  Predators have been playing hell on my hens this year. I had a raccoon show me and entry point in my coop. Luckily he only killed one. He suffered a lead headache.  A red fox grabbed one one morning I was working the garden.

Since then, I've caught 13 coons, 2 possums, and shot 3 foxes. The Fed protection on raptors needs revisited. I've found 2 Cooper's hawks with broken wings in my yard. Luckily, we have 2 power lines helping me protect my flock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Are 'decoy chickens' a thing?
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are 'decoy chickens' a thing?
View Quote

I believe this is what you seek, only the best in rubber chickens from Seattle, USA
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Be like the Boy Scouts used to be, Be Prepared.
If you don't prepare for all the things that want to eat your yummy chickens, then this will always happen to you.
View Quote

Yeah, it caught me off guard for sure.  I am in the middle of moving from one house to a new house and had it set up just enough to move the chickens over but nothing for them was permanent.  30 minutes left until I can go home and make some modifications.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
We built a chicken run from hog panels bent into an arch.  We tied 1/2" hardware cloth to it.  Makes it very secure.  Also easily expandable.

They don't get the run of the entire yard, but we don't have to worry about losing our flock either.

They do get let out if we are in the yard, but then get put back away when we are done.

Link Posted: 9/27/2020 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
So the plot thickens...  so the chicken carcass was left partially under the shed where it was found yesterday.  I saw it and left it and came back later and the carcass had been moved further under the shed.  I pulled the chicken back out and put it in a rubbermaid bin.  Put some chicken wire and line to cover the chicken run and left.  Came back with another load and the hawk was perched on the top of the dog run intently looking at the chicken run it spooked and flew away.  I looked over and there were 3 bunnies eating grass in the middle of the yard without a care in the world.  Stupid hawk has no interest in the feral rabbits in my neighborhood and has its heart set on chickens.

Also set a live trap for whatever critter dragged the carcass under the shed.  Air rifle is sitting next to the backdoor to scare away the hawk should it come back.

Also the neighborhood has a feral rabbit population due to some jerk releasing their bunnies.  I am gonna start thinning them out after I get settled.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#12]
No joke. When hawks show up my wife blasts A recording of an eagle screeching from her IPhone into a bullhorn. We won’t see another bird or hawk for hours after that. We feed the squirrels and bunnies so hawks are not welcome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I kept getting cleaned out by hawks. Even tried heavy bodied ducks & they still took them off.
I gave up until I can get a run set up. I can't free range, but my neighbor can. I live at the top of a hill and he at the bottom & has no issues from raptors.
Kinda blows my mind.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Contact the Alaska Falconry group.  See if any members near you could trap/relocate it for you.  Additionally, falconry is badass. If you have the time, join them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I kept getting cleaned out by hawks. Even tried heavy bodied ducks & they still took them off.
I gave up until I can get a run set up. I can't free range, but my neighbor can. I live at the top of a hill and he at the bottom & has no issues from raptors.
Kinda blows my mind.
View Quote

No doubt.  When we were looking at property, further down the road there were multiple houses free ranging their chickens so we didn't think there would be a problem.  And with the local feral bunny population we weren't really concerned about predators either.  Somehow we landed in just the right spot to have issues.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
So far knock on 1/2 hardware cloth the coop and run has been predator proof. As long as I do my part
I should be good to go. I have a ring camera looking at the coop/run with a light activated by the camera. Dogs, possums and one rat tried getting
in but failed. I now keep a rat trap set in a bucket for if any rat shows up again. Everybody loves chickens.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Gamefowl. In other words, half-wild chickens of fighting lineages.

Not only will most of the various kinds of game chickens be wild enough to generally out maneuver attacking hawks, it is not unusual for a game rooster to bust the snot out of a hawk once the hawk lights. When bitties are presents, game hens will also hit a hawk.

An old trick cockfighters of yesteryear used was to strap fighting gaffs on a game rooster and send it out free range into a yard that a hawk is working. Within a couple of days, the rooster will usually have killed the hawk.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I haven't seen the hawk lately and my hens have been out and haven't been acting spooked or anything.  Time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We have to have a cover on our run here to keep the hawks away.

I love the hawks, so I do that.

Our problem this year has been raccoons--first time we've ever had an issue with coons.

It's time to rebuild our coop and run.

View Quote

Fortunately no raccoons up here, just fox, lynx and marten.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

One of our white Leghorn roosters killed a bobcat all on his own.

Lost his life doing it, but not all common chickens are worthless.  Some of them are warriors too, all on their own.

Nary a scratch on the hens, btw.  Hewas just a common, poorly-bred, enormous white, fluffy yard chicken, but he gave his life to save his flock.  I keep mentioning him when this comes up because he was a chicken hero.  And heroes deserve to be remembered.
View Quote

People that don't have Roosters don't realize how tough and noble they can be.  We have a bachelor pen with 5 Roosters in it, 2 white Jersey Giants, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 Speckled Sussex, and 1 Silver Laced Cochin.  They all get along and rarely is blood spilled.  We also have a mixed breed big white Rooster who is in with the hens, we call the mixed breed chickens Rednecks.  This Redneck Rooster is named Daryl.  Daryl is awesome at taking care of his hens, calling them to food and not eating any of it while they eat, making them all come into the coop at night, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top