Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2023 10:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Many civvy market Ti (and other metal) canteens come alone, or with a pouch/carrier that is perhaps less than satisfactory.  Some of these pouches/carriers may lack PALS attachment option.  GI MOLLE Utility/Canteen pouch is not always of correct dimensions for some aftermarket items. Aftermarket canteen pouches specifically intended for such items often quite nice, with price tags to match.

Solution:  GI Nylon "Carrier, Water Canteen, Cold Weather".  NSN 8465-01-314-4236.

Two-pack for cheap Here

Will fit:
1) Boundless Voyage Ti canteen, Ti canteen cup, Ti lid, and Oasis canteen (just),
2) Boundless Voyage Ti Canteen Cooking set, and
3) Keith Ti Canteen Mess Kit

There is some room to spare inside the pouch for small/flat items.  Wrap-over feature aids in keeping dirt out of one's mess gear.

Should fit typical GI plastic or metal canteen plus cup, lid and slip-over GI stove.  May fit other canteens along with auxiliary items.

Carrier itself is GI, and originally comes with ALICE clips.  Substituting short Malice clips will allow easy attachment to PALS platforms.  Either "D"-rings or Tri-glide buckles used in conjunction with the Short malice clips will allow attachment of a shoulder strap, if desired, for stand-alone use.

Since the pouch was intended for use with the Arctic canteen, there is no drain grommet on the bottom, something which user may wish to add.  The pouch itself is actually insulated with a thin layer of kapok insulation.  Unknown how quickly this insulation will drain if the pouch is submerged.

If you already have a GI Arctic canteen + cup, this carrier is a big improvement over the older cotton canvas carrier with M1910 "hook" attachment.  This new carrier will not quite close completely if the Arctic canteen has a "gas mask" cap installed in place of the original cap.  It will still work OK, though.

Submitted for consideration.  My 2-pack is on the way, FWIW, along with a 4-pack of light-duty tow straps.

I reckon this is something of a niche issue.

Disclaimer: No financial interest.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Good post.

FYI, the Keith Titanium canteen, cup, and lid set (also sold under the Heavy Cover brand) will fit in the USGI MOLLE canteen holder/multipurpose pouch.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:30:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
Good post.

FYI, the Keith Titanium canteen, cup, and lid set (also sold under the Heavy Cover brand) will fit in the USGI MOLLE canteen holder/multipurpose pouch.
View Quote
TYVM for kind comments.

To add to your comments, some canteens, like the Oasis canteen, are too tall to allow top flap of USGI Utility/Canteen pouch to fully close.   The GI pouch was originally intended for USGI canteens, and it's not surprising that some aftermarket canteens--like the taller Oasis-- don't fit well.

When I want a sip of water, I don't want my canteen pouch/carrier fighting me when doing so.

By the same token, many aftermarket canteens have much wider spouts/caps than typical GI metal/plastic canteens.  Such wider caps/necks make using the webbing "yoke" on the typical GI Utility/Canteen pouch a bit problematic.  I have seen canteen carriers provided by the canteen mfr being likewise unsuitable in this regard.

See above comment about not "fighting" one's gear as a caution.

I have tried the common GI Utility/Canteen pouch with a number of civvy canteens+cups+slip-over stoves+lids.  I certainly would have been most pleased to find that my already owned GI Utility/Canteen pouches would work properly.  Unfortunately, many civvy canteens and their cups/cooking pots/stoves are not compatible.  Some aftermarket canteen ensembles might work with the MOLLE GI pouch, depending on how closely the mfr of the items adheres to GI specs.  No Expert, but I believe the Stainless Steel "Pathfinder" canteens and cups closely mimic USGI configuration.  I can say, after testing, that the Stainless Steel Pathfinder canteen cup lid fits well on all my GI canteen cups, and will accept GI "slip-over" stove.  If I could find an aluminum or Ti version of the Pathfinder cup, I'd consider it.

Not so sure about Aluminum GI canteen cup stove durability.  Jury is still out.

I admit to a personal bias towards having a flap that protects contents of any pouch from dirt/mud/snow.  I have been told in other threads that I'm "old-thinking" such things by folks who have served in climates/terrains which were "friendly" to open-topped pouches.  Whether our military will aways operate in such areas is highly questionable, IMHO.  YMMV.

Regret being a bit "wordy" but there it is.  My comments are my own experiences, and always subject to well-informed future comments.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the Centerline Systems offerings. I run one per pack belt with a second canteen/bottle in a smaller simpler pouch on the other side.
I try to keep my gear modular in that I can bring my big ruck in and strip off the top pouch to become a buttpack on the pack belt for a day trip. Or just down to the canteen cover for a shorter outing. Things are preloaded so a bunch of reorganization doesn't have to happen each and every time.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HawkCreek:
I like the Centerline Systems offerings. I run one per pack belt with a second canteen/bottle in a smaller simpler pouch on the other side.
I try to keep my gear modular in that I can bring my big ruck in and strip off the top pouch to become a buttpack on the pack belt for a day trip. Or just down to the canteen cover for a shorter outing. Things are preloaded so a bunch of reorganization doesn't have to happen each and every time.
View Quote
Yes, there are many nice aftermarket pouches made to carry aftermarket canteens and so forth, C/S among them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 9:13:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You can fold the flap inside of the MOLLE canteen pouch and use the yoke strap to secure wide mouth bottles or aftermarket bottles like the Camelbak Chute.

The retention strap is adjustable for a good ways, and will fit a wide variety of bottles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
You can fold the flap inside of the MOLLE canteen pouch and use the yoke strap to secure wide mouth bottles or aftermarket bottles like the Camelbak Chute.

The retention strap is adjustable for a good ways, and will fit a wide variety of bottles.
View Quote
Yes, this is often possible.  However, I much prefer to have the contents protected from contamination by dirt and other stuff.  The MOLLE Utility/Canteen pouch flap is often too short for this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top