Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/1/2023 5:58:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman]
The black bean burger stuff might be interesting  - my wife actually likes black bean burgers and no, she's not vegetarian or vegan.  
Anyone tried this company's offerings?
Thank you for your replies
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to add, scroll down for pictures and reports on various Ready Hour products I purchased from My Patriot Supply. Quite a bit of it impressed me.
Edited title...that IS what some people in GD do, figured it would work here, too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Augason BBB is pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What is that?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Ready Hour packaged food, correct?

If so, yes.

Their freeze dried fruit is better and cheaper than the grocery store.  I eat it all the time.

The food you actually have to cook.  I think you have to try a few things and see what you like.  I’ve actually contacted the company to ask they provide more sample sizes so you don’t have to take a chance on something you may not like.  At least they responded and said they will take it into consideration.  I like the taste better than Mountain House of the things I’ve tried.

I liked the stroganoff, but like Kraft Mac and cheese better than Ready Hour.

Like any of this type food, check sodium content.

I would like to try their pizza kit, but I’m not spending a $100 to see if it’s any good.

Link Posted: 1/1/2023 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By armoredman:
What is that?
View Quote

Augason Farms.

Black
Bean
Burger
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SpanishInquisition:

Augason Farms.

Black
Bean
Burger
View Quote

I'm
An
Idiot.
I figured that out much later, thank you.
You liked that stuff? Wife is willing to experiment a little.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a bin full of their 72 hour packs they offered over the years for a discounted price.  I have a few different variations and enjoy them.  I have zero problem eating processed or boxed or canned foods so there is that.  YMMV.

I stopped buying them when their prices went up during COVID as it was just an extra item for my preps, not really something I felt like I needed.  I rotate through them on occasion but probably won't buy any more when what I have runs out unless I can find a really good deal.

Last time I ordered I got these for $10 each:   https://mypatriotsupply.com/collections/short-term-food-storage/products/72-hour-kit-sample-pack

Looks like I ordered x5 on two different occasions.  Looks like they are $17.76 each now.

I also ordered some of these for $14.95 each a few years ago:  https://4patriots.com/products/72-hour-survival-food-kit

I ordered these one at a time over a few years using one of those deal links that floated around the community for a long time...  I just looked at my saved emails and the first one I ordered in 2016 was $9.95.  They cost 29.00 now.

For $10~15 I always felt like they were a decent deal, but they aren't worth $20 IMO.  At that point I feel it's better to just stock up on a bunch of flavored rice and/or pasta sides and rotate through them.  The one advantage to the prepper marketed stuff is its packaged very well with O2 absorbers so its long term ready, just buy, store it, and forget it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm
An
Idiot.
I figured that out much later, thank you.
You liked that stuff? Wife is willing to experiment a little.
View Quote

You'll never mistake it for ground beef, but it ain't bad.
Wife liked it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2023 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By migradog:
Augason Farms Black Bean Burger #10 can $12.98 down from $29.99      

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAVJ1UW?tag=arfcom00-20

Link for website that tracks Augason Farms prices on Amazon.

https://www.preppingdeals.net/?fbclid=IwAR1ShE5I3ARmEo_iKm-icMq3VimkGEKak_oj1hrT4RI8ut6XovQ5fDOFWw4#AugasonFarms
View Quote

Thats a good deal on the black bean burger.  Ordered 2.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 4:40:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#10]
Update - I like the company and the products. We have used the black bean burger mix a few times, and mixed in with a little Marmite it is actually really good. We also tried the freeze dried spaghetti, and it was a little bland, but still much better than the El Cheapo Chef Boyardee. We tried the freeze dried strawberries this morning, and the wife was quite happy - I will rehydrate some in a few days to see how they work in a strawberry Daquiri.
Next on the list is the stroganoff. Yes, the price is higher than the canned stuff, but that looooong shelf life is nice. Just another tool in the shed, as it were.
Thank you for the replies and suggestions.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
The coffee is better than any instant you can buy in the store IMO
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Just order #10 cans of Ready Hour stroganoff and travelers Stew. Also a bucket of 120 meals to try
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By migradog:
Augason Farms Black Bean Burger #10 can $12.98 down from $29.99      

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAVJ1UW?tag=arfcom00-20

Link for website that tracks Augason Farms prices on Amazon.

https://www.preppingdeals.net/?fbclid=IwAR1ShE5I3ARmEo_iKm-icMq3VimkGEKak_oj1hrT4RI8ut6XovQ5fDOFWw4#AugasonFarms
View Quote

Thanks, grabbed one plus the chopped onions from the other thread to get the free shipping.

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Question looking at the beef. It weights 1 lb. Freezer dried. What's that equate to once reconstituted 1 lb freezer dried = ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sandbowl1980:
Question looking at the beef. It weights 1 lb. Freezer dried. What's that equate to once reconstituted 1 lb freezer dried = ?
View Quote

Haven't ordered that one yet, kinda pricey.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't tried the My Patriot Supply food but have been wanting to since they advertise on a local radio station. When it comes to that kind of food I always go with Mountain House but always open for new.
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:39:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#17]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was from when I got my first order from them. The black bean burger mix is really easy to use and amazingly tasty, to be completely honest. I made it a second time and added a little marmite to the mix, and it was even better. I have some others I've tried and taken photos of, and will post here.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:50:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Creamy Alfredo Pasta

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Paired well with a T-Bone - I split the steak with my wife, BTW.

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Rice pudding. I have never had rice pudding. It was interesting. The wife unit said the chewiness of the rice was normal. I gotta say, it was not bad at all, could definitely taste the cinnamon. I added a touch of sugar halfway through, but it was perfectly fine as is.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Creamy stroganoff. The sauce was thin, so I added roughly two teaspoons of corn starch. The noodles were a LITTLE undercooked, recommend cooking for 25 minutes instead. Taste was ok, a little bland, but that's to be expected. All in all, not bad.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/17/2023 8:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#21]
Spaghetti. I admit, it is unlikely that any parmesan cheese will survive the Alpacalypse, or Llamageddon, but I just hadda add it. All in all, this stuff was really good, and I was very surprised.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/19/2023 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Looks good I'm going to try some. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#23]
armoredman... thank you for taking the time to produce and expense for the pictorial
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
armoredman... thank you for taking the time to produce and expense for the pictorial
View Quote
No problem at all, I wanted to try the stuff too, to see if I want to buy more. So far, it's pretty decent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By lasnyder:
View Quote

Plus 2

Thank you, I've got a bucket coming. I've also got a case of #10 cans of spaghetti with meat sauce, Stroganoff,  chick and rice. It was really great also.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a freeze dryer machine and doing my own.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#26]
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/Black_bean_1_jpg-2749698.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/Black_bean_2_jpg-2749699.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/Black_bean_3_jpg-2749701.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/360589/Black_bean_4_jpg-2749702.JPG

This was from when I got my first order from them. The black bean burger mix is really easy to use and amazingly tasty, to be completely honest. I made it a second time and added a little marmite to the mix, and it was even better. I have some others I've tried and taken photos of, and will post here.

View Quote

That looks pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
armoredman, thank you for taking the time to post all the photos and provide your feedback.  I greatly appreciate it, and found it very useful.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Very cool thread.  Thanks for posting it!  Looks like good stuff.  I'm not so sure about those "burgers" though.....  But like anything, I'd try it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#29]
To be honest, the black bean burgers were really, really good, very surprised. When I made them again, I used a little Marmite, and they were even better. This from a 100% dyed in the wool meat eater.
Looking at getting some more stuff in a week or so, will post whatever I get.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I was curious about this one as it requires many things NOT normally associated with 'survivalism', really, unless you have the capability of making either a brick oven, use a Dutch Oven over a hot bed of coals, or, like me, we just play that the electricity is still on. So, this took some preparation.

First, the bag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Simple, right?

First, no, I couldn't find the oxygen absorber so I couldn't hydrate in the pouch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I sincerely doubt this had anything to do with what happened next. I suck as a baker, (I use a bread machine, usually), so my "loaf" shows it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#31]
I made it fit into a standard bread pan. Oven is heated to a "medium oven", AKA 350 degrees, and set them timer in the middle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This...doesn't look right. I sent pics to My Patriot Supply to ask what I might have done wrong...

Attachment Attached File

I did try some, even though this really doesn't LOOK like a classic bread, because it really isn't.

Attachment Attached File

To be honest, it tasted quite good, with butter, (RH also has dehydrated butter, go figure), and even though it is really dense, it was more than edible. Maybe dense bread has more carbs for more energy during a survival/food shortage time? I don't know, but I have half the loaf saved for eating over the next two days and the other half in the freezer to see how it takes to being frozen.
Interesting...definitely NOT what I had expected. The Wife Unit said it almost tasted more like a coffee cake, as you can really taste the honey. That might be more in line with what they had in mind.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 6:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sandbowl1980] [#32]
I'm looking at this can't wait for follow up.

I did some reading online. I read that flour ect put into mylar bags with those o2 pack and seal can last a really long time without bugs hatching in them.

Edit. You did followup as I was posting. Man you do some really great posting
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you. Every one of these I get I will share here.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:36:58 PM EDT
[#34]
My Patriot Supply answered  - that is right, no yeast,  as it would die quickly,  so this is correct. I have to say I did eat damn near half the loaf because it tasted so good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#35]
My Patriot Supply answered  - that is right, no yeast,  as it would die quickly,  so this is correct. I have to say I did eat damn near half the loaf because it tasted so good.
View Quote

I cracked up on this one!

Great thread, nice job posting your cooking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

just to chime in, ask customer service what would be the result if you added yeast.
you can buy freezed dried yeast in the baking aisle in the little packs.....they have a very long expiration date on them.
My wife gets bread yeast in bricks and keeps it in the freezer, and she will chop off a chunk every so often to thaw, sometimes days even 2 weeks b4 using
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 12:55:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking the time for sharing your findings.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#38]
This reminds me I have canned freeze dried food in the garage that is nearing end of shelf life

might be time to rehydrate some veggies  for science!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 2:41:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ruffhowzer:
Enjoying this thread. Thanks for taking the time for sharing your findings.
View Quote
You are more than welcome. I have a few others that came in that I will try out.
Customer Service did say that I could mix in a little yeast and let rise for 30 minutes, which I might try. I have both bread machine and regular yeast avaiable to try.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#40]
@amoredman

You should contact Patriot Supply and tell them about your post, maybe get some perks for your work!

Just to add to his thread…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#41]
We did the strawberries...

Attachment Attached File

I love the list of ingredients,

Attachment Attached File

One entire bag - four bags to a case. They can be eaten dehydrated or rehydrated, but warning - when they say it's ONLY strawberries in the ingredients, they aren't kidding - the dry ones are tart with no sweetness whatsoever.

Attachment Attached File

Rehydrate!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#42]
BUT...I had an ulterior motive...

Attachment Attached File

Yes, I did.

Attachment Attached File

I needed  more of them, it wasn't half enough, but the wife unit was pleased with her strawberry daiquiri. Yes, I made booze with dehydrated food...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:16:32 PM EDT
[#43]
@livinfree, I doubt they would care very much, and besides, I bought the case pouches so I could try the stuff, sharing is just a bonus. But if you wanna tell them I won't argue.

Next week, we will have some more to try...
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Not the one people think of when they think of survival foods, no doubt...

Attachment Attached File

I love that list of ingredients.

Attachment Attached File

I thought, how can you get 8 servings out of this? The bag is REALLY light, how can there be that much in there? Well, I was wrong.

Attachment Attached File

"Cover with warm water" - in this dish, it was about 2 1/2 cups of water. FYI.

Attachment Attached File

Cookin' up while the burgers are getting ready.

Attachment Attached File

Well, the wife unit and I were both pleasantly surprised - it tasted quite good. It tasted not QUITE like fresh broccoli, but not like it had been rehydrated back from the dead. And, there's plenty left over.

Yes, there is a burger in there - it shrank.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Pulled the bread out of the freezer, nuked for a few seconds  to break them up, slathered in butter and pan toasted with cinnamon sugar sprinkled - just like a coffee cake, good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Another one, just came in a few hours ago.

Heavy package for its size.
Attachment Attached File

Directions are easy
Attachment Attached File

Well, lookit that - I found the oxygen absorber without digging!
Attachment Attached File

4.5 cups of water
Attachment Attached File

Whisked in - this stuff is thick already.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 9:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: armoredman] [#47]
This was where I screwed up slightly - I split the difference on timing from the notes on the package. The rice was more chewy than I would ordinarily like, but it was still no problem. I think the next time I would go about 17-18 minutes. No, the spatula's not dirty - it's just really old.
Attachment Attached File

Thickening. Really doesn't look the least bit different.
Attachment Attached File

Yes, that's an Old Fashioned, with McFarlane's Reserve, if you want to know, first time using this booze, smooth stuff. Don't judge - it's been a HELL of a week!
Attachment Attached File

The basic stuff is really quite good, chewy rice aside, but I decided to mix in a little of my favorite table spice blend. All in all the wife and I were quite happy with this one. Recommend.
Attachment Attached File

Incidentally, neither My Patriot Supply or Ready Hour is sponsoring this in any way, and I am paying full price for everything I am showing off.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#48]
One more. Black Bean Soup. Not entirely thrilled.

Attachment Attached File

It's called Black Bean Soup, but the major ingredient seems to be rice.
Attachment Attached File

4.5 cups of water.
Attachment Attached File

I like being able to find the oxygen absorber.
Attachment Attached File

Mixed in - the directions don't say to stir, but the stuff clumped on the bottom and stuck to the non stick, so I used a wooden spatula to stir and declump.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Last time I went short on the time and paid for it - going with the directions on this one, and yes, it was right.
Attachment Attached File

Light dinner. One scoop with a standard ladle. Honestly, not really impressed, bland taste, could stand some flavor.
Attachment Attached File

So a little Blend and it was better. Notice far more rice than beans. This was much more watery than the cheesey broccoli soup. Not a deal killer.
Attachment Attached File

Plenty of leftovers to see what works well in there to spice/jazz it up a bit. It really kind of tasted to me what a "survival soup" would be like, just stuff to keep you alive.
Attachment Attached File

I hope someone is actually still reading this stuff, but even not, I'm still having fun trying these foods, better to know now rather than when it's the only stuff around.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
I have a bin full of their 72 hour packs they offered over the years for a discounted price.  I have a few different variations and enjoy them.  I have zero problem eating processed or boxed or canned foods so there is that.  YMMV.

I stopped buying them when their prices went up during COVID as it was just an extra item for my preps, not really something I felt like I needed.  I rotate through them on occasion but probably won't buy any more when what I have runs out unless I can find a really good deal.

Last time I ordered I got these for $10 each:   https://mypatriotsupply.com/collections/short-term-food-storage/products/72-hour-kit-sample-pack

Looks like I ordered x5 on two different occasions.  Looks like they are $17.76 each now.

I also ordered some of these for $14.95 each a few years ago:  https://4patriots.com/products/72-hour-survival-food-kit

I ordered these one at a time over a few years using one of those deal links that floated around the community for a long time...  I just looked at my saved emails and the first one I ordered in 2016 was $9.95.  They cost 29.00 now.

For $10~15 I always felt like they were a decent deal, but they aren't worth $20 IMO.  At that point I feel it's better to just stock up on a bunch of flavored rice and/or pasta sides and rotate through them.  The one advantage to the prepper marketed stuff is its packaged very well with O2 absorbers so its long term ready, just buy, store it, and forget it.
View Quote

So basically their buckets (presumably the best value) are around 1/3 of one cent per calorie?

That seems decent I guess, considering you get all the packaging and an industrial, controlled process.

Are there other items for which it makes more sense to have your own freeze drier?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top