Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2021 9:23:13 AM EDT
So looking for someone who might take me on a hog or I can hire to take me on a hog hunt! I don't want a city slicker hunt as I'm looking to do more than just hunt but to learn!

What you might ask? I want to be taught how to hunt track and attract this game also wants to know the most important part, not the most well-liked and that is how to butcher what I hunted!

I'm 41 going on 42 and was not raised in a hunting family! Never hunted anything that was not human! Only shot humans and animals to end their suffering.

I have not hunted mostly because I only shoot what's a threat or suffering. Since I don't know how to properly clean and butcher what I kill!

I Don't know how to field dress a deer or hog and don't want to waste the meat.

So looking for someone who would be willing to teach a person how to take out this menace from his property and also how to harvest the meat for his family!

I live 45 miles East of Big Spring and 55 miles West of Abilene Texas. Willing to drive but nothing too crazy most I think I can do is a 6 hour one way. I work nights  1800-0600 so I know that will work for the hunt since I'm up all night anyway!

Please tell me if you know if anyone can help me out! Like I said I would also be willing to pay as long as it does not cost too much!

Why I'm looking for this is because I bought a home and land and it has a hog problem! Not too bad right now because all it I have is Texas brush but want to plant fruit and nut trees along with growing a garden!

I know they will come to mess up that $hit right away! Thanks for the help and advice?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
“Never hunted anything that was not human! Only shot humans and animals to end their suffering.”

Ok

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody chime in that's in west TX. This is an opportunity.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#3]
On your place you’ll want to trap them then kill them otherwise they will still damage your plants and trees.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By greco:
“Never hunted anything that was not human! Only shot humans and animals to end their suffering.”

Ok

View Quote

He likes to mention that a lot in his posts...
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:

He likes to mention that a lot in his posts...
View Quote

Sound jealous Bowhntr6pt ! I'm who I'm! I did what I did for my country and my family! Ever had to take a life? My guess is no! I'm not bragging about it! Even though people on this site brag about the killing of animals. Post photos of their kill! Have a smile about taking a life! Yet hate on me for talking about my service to my country!?

So guess a 3x war vet who received a purple heart and several other metals can't talk about their experience!? I'm not posting photos of me standing over an insurgent dead! Yet see a lot of photos of dead animal's!

I don't post it that every day what I have done! So go hate someplace else! I'd take the simple life of not having to kill humans or dealing with what the worst of humanity has to offer! Walk a mile in my boots! Please! Please! My guess is you could not and since I don't know you I'll say you would not!
If you're a combat vet who has been in combat then sorry! If you got that combat action ribbon then it was because you did not have to kill but someone tries to kill you!

If you are that combat real vet then your not being yourself! If you're not being yourself then please let's talk! Seen way too many vets who don't talk about what they did or what they have been through taking their life or as a friend of mine suicide by law enforcement! At the time I was LEO.

If your not a combat vet then you don't understand what I'm talking about! If you have not had to take a life to save your own or your Brothers then you have no room to say a thing!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tayous1:

Sound jealous Bowhntr6pt ! I'm who I'm! I did what I did for my country and my family! Ever had to take a life? My guess is no! I'm not bragging about it! Even though people on this site brag about the killing of animals. Post photos of their kill! Have a smile about taking a life! Yet hate on me for talking about my service to my country!?

If your not a combat vet then you don't understand what I'm talking about! If you have not had to take a life to save your own or your Brothers then you have no room to say a thing!
View Quote

@tayous1

Hey buddy, some people are just keyboard commandos, and like to be edgy because nobody is in their face when they make those comments.

I can't imagine taking all my civilian training into a place where the fucking targets shoot back. You'll never know how many people, like myself, see those like yourself as heros, regardless if you dragged your brothers out of a firefight, or killed 50 enemies with your bare hands. The fact you signed up for that, to protect a goofball like me, makes you a hero. Much respect to you and your brothers and sisters in arms.

So, even though I am in AZ, I would like to offer up what I can regarding hunting and such. When it comes to hogs, there isn't really much to it, especially in Texas, due to the ridiculous amount of hogs running around. Most people know where they will be, and set up, or kind of road hunt for them. There may be more to it, but from what I've seen, that seems to be more the norm. Hunting hogs on someones land is helping them out due to the hogs being so prevalent. I don't know how good the meat is from those feral hogs, but here in AZ I bagged a 300 pound feral hog and it was delicious. The thing is, it was on a hunting ranch and the hogs were finished out on slop from micro breweries.... so the meat was the best pork I've ever had. It may be different in Texas because they are mostly running wild and foraging on whatever they can get.

If you want a true hunting experience, hunt a deer, or elk. You mentioned tracking.... for me, when we go out to fill a tag, there is a lot of pre-hunt time spent. Finding areas where the animals are, setting up cameras to get an idea of when they are coming through, etc.. The big thing is getting off the roads, and hiking a couple miles to get to where you have the best chance to harvest an animal.

I am like you, in that I came from a family that didn't hunt. I met people late in life, and fortunately they have been great teachers. Quartering and then processing the harvest is something that for me, is taking a while, but I get better every time. A good set of knives will serve you very well.

There are a million guys on here that are way more knowledgeable than I am. They've probably forgotten way more than I know, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But I will tell you this, there is nothing better than harvesting your first, second, third...... 10th animal. Buck fever is real... but it is AWESOME.

Last, have you posted in your HTF? I'm sure you have... just making sure.

Good luck on your hunts! Enjoy it!

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#7]
As a land owner I have learned there are two types of Veterans those who use the Veterans card to gain access to your land. Then there’s those who work hard and buy their own land or prove they are worthy to hunt your property. My gut tells me that the op belongs to the group that uses the I’m a Veteran you owe me. When asking for permission why even bring up I’m a vet? Are you disabled and need special treatment? My thoughts reading his post was. This guy is looking to be turned down cause people will see him trying to act like a rockstar. And he will bring his buddy’s because he needs praise. Why else bring up justification.

Now I’m sure I’m gonna be roasted for saying what I said. But in roasting me you will only prove the point another member stated: the only thing worse than having feral hogs is having feral hog hunters.

The statement I only shoot things to end their suffering. Well feral hogs are a suffrage they cost the land owner money time and attract low life’s. So who cares how much a feral hog suffers.

Good luck OP I hope you find a place but I would turn you down in a heartbeat just because I have heard that line before and have been burned.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Here we go !
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 6:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bowhntr6pt] [#9]
Originally Posted By tayous1:
If you have not had to take a life to save your own or your Brothers then you have no room to say a thing!
View Quote

I have... I don't find a way to keep mentioning it in my posts like you seem to... it just seems odd how you constantly mention "hunting humans".

There are LOTS of combat vets and LEO's on this site who have killed people... I don't see any posts as consistent as yours when it comes to mentioning that fact, doesn't represent you very well. Might want to consider how often you seem to mention that and how it comes across.

Then again, I'm just some dude pounding on a keyboard right?

ETA- don't mean to offend you... I respect your service and sacrifices. Just trying to let you know how some of your posts come across to some folks on here, that's all.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top