Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2022 9:02:14 PM EDT
If so, how'd you manage to do it?

Are the house batteries/inverter enough to run it while you're driving down the highway?

Once you're parked, it seems like it'd be no issue, other than the physical size of one.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No, will not work.

Batteries with inverter will destroy compressor.

Better to use a small generator running in bed of your tow vehicle or mounted somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Why would the inverter running off of batteries be bad but a generator be ok?(I've run a freezer on my 1000w inverter generator before)
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
You mean other than a propane one?
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The compressor in most small chest freezers only draws a couple amps, after it's running - which would be just a couple dozen amps at 12VDC.

If you have an inverter and batteries large enough to handle the starting surge (which could be 5X that amount for a few seconds), it's no problem.

Inverters are commonly used to power residential fridges in large motorhomes - and the occasional freezer, too.

The "Energy Guide" on my 7 cu ft chest freezer says that it consumes around 250 KWH per year - which would be around 700 watt-hours per day.

A 12 volt 100 amp-hour deep-cycle battery is good for around 1200 watt-hours - So it would be around 60% discharged after running my freezer for 24 hours.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:15:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not just use a 12v portable freezer?  

Seems like a hassle to run an AC one in a travel trailer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The compressor in most small chest freezers only draws a couple amps, after it's running - which would be just a couple dozen amps at 12VDC.

If you have an inverter and batteries large enough to handle the starting surge (which could be 5X that amount for a few seconds), it's no problem.

Inverters are commonly used to power residential fridges in large motorhomes - and the occasional freezer, too.

The "Energy Guide" on my 7 cu ft chest freezer says that it consumes around 250 KWH per year - which would be around 700 watt-hours per day.

A 12 volt 100 amp-hour deep-cycle battery is good for around 1200 watt-hours - So it would be around 60% discharged after running my freezer for 24 hours.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking. If they're kept full, they should only run a few times a day. My biggest concern was while we were on the road, since it shouldn't be an issue when we're parked and plugged in.

Quoted:
Why not just use a 12v portable freezer?  

Seems like a hassle to run an AC one in a travel trailer.
View Quote

Those are powered coolers(size wise).

The only hassle should be the size, otherwise it's just plugging it into a wall outlet.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:24:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My biggest concern was while we were on the road, since it shouldn't be an issue when we're parked and plugged in.
View Quote

While under way, the amount of current which can be transferred from the tow vehicle to the trailer is somewhat limited.

For example, my Casita trailer has a 20 amp circuit breaker connected to the house battery charge wire in the 7-pin hitch connector - so it is incapable of accepting more than 20 amps.

IIRC, the 7-pin connector itself isn't capable of handling more than 30 amps (?) without overheating.

Also, some folks switch their RV fridge to its "DC" mode while under way, which can consume 15+ amps of 12V current by itself. (The obvious way to avoid this is to leave it operating on propane while under way).
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Unless I misunderstand how things are wired, (I don't have a trailer yet, just getting ready to buy) doesn't the trailer plug only charge the batteries and anything AC powered will be running off of an inverter that's powered by the batteries?

If that's the case, and provided the AC circuit will handle the load of the freezer, it'd be ok if the freezer cycled on and off every once in a while because the batteries will have enough reserve capacity to run it when it needs it and they'll get charged by the truck when it's not running.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#9]
^Yes, assuming your freezer (and any other DC loads in the trailer while under way) doesn't run often enough to pull more amp-hours out of your house batteries than your tow vehicle can supply to replenish them.

Your worst-case scenario is probably going to be when you're towing after dry-camping for a while, with your partially-depleted house batteries already drawing a lot of charging current from your tow vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
^Yes, assuming your freezer (and any other DC loads in the trailer while under way) doesn't run often enough to pull more amp-hours out of your house batteries than your tow vehicle can supply to replenish them.

Your worst-case scenario is probably going to be when you're towing after dry-camping for a while, with your partially-depleted house batteries already drawing a lot of charging current from your tow vehicle.
View Quote

I'll definitely have to look into the battery monitoring situation.

Thanks for the discussion so far!
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:27:26 AM EDT
[#11]
For my annual hunting trip to Colorado we run a chest freezer in a cargo trailer. From South Carolina to camp is 2000 miles. Our travel time is usually 36-48 hours. Bags of Ice are placed on the bottom after the freezer is pre chilled. If we stop for the night half way we will plug in or run the generator for a couple hours. Otherwise the freezer is off during the trip. Our meat has never thawed out using this method.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#12]
We have had a small chest freezer in our 5th wheel for the past 4-5 years. We travel 6-7 months a year. It works well and we have no inverter. If we are plugged in at a campground there is obviously no problem. If we don’t have hook ups for more than 8 hours or so I just run my Honda 2000 inverter for a half hour or so to chill it back down. I have a thermometer on it and I have never seen it go higher than about 15 to 20 degrees. It stays frozen a surprisingly long time unplugged.
I put the Honda in the bed of the truck and let it run while we drive if necessary. Just run an auxiliary circuit for the freezer with an old dedicated extension cord.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We have had a small chest freezer in our 5th wheel for the past 4-5 years. We travel 6-7 months a year. It works well and we have no inverter. If we are plugged in at a campground there is obviously no problem. If we don’t have hook ups for more than 8 hours or so I just run my Honda 2000 inverter for a half hour or so to chill it back down. I have a thermometer on it and I have never seen it go higher than about 15 to 20 degrees. It stays frozen a surprisingly long time unplugged.
I put the Honda in the bed of the truck and let it run while we drive if necessary. Just run an auxiliary circuit for the freezer with an old dedicated extension cord.
View Quote

That's great information.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top