Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2021 10:23:50 PM EDT
I was looking at buying one of the Butterfly brand, 22 wick kero stoves to can with.

Do these units produce the needed heat for canning?

I'm just now getting into canning, but of course, I'm looking at grid down options.

If anyone has used these units, I'd appreciate your input.

Are there any other options you would recommend for grid down canning stoves?

Thanks, in advance!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 11:19:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 7:20:42 AM EDT
I have the setup you are talking about OP.  I haven't used it yet for that purpose since the kero stove was a SHTF purchase and propane is more convenient.  

However, I read a lot of information suggesting it should work fine.  

The stove supposedly puts out 14,000 BTU if you set it up correctly.  Pressure canners don't have to boil nearly as much water as a water-bath setup so the heat requirements are pretty low once you get them up to temp.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:40:06 PM EDT
Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 3:55:23 PM EDT
Water Bath canning takes MUCH more heat than a pressure cooker - you lose a tremendous amount of heat in the steam boiling out of the water. Pressure cookers take time to come up to temp and pressure, but once there you lose much less heat as the steam is mostly contained inside the closed pot instead of being released to the air.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 4:17:22 PM EDT
I did a lot of canning on a two-burner Coleman camp stove.  Worked great then.  Fuel is probably much too expensive now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 10:10:17 PM EDT
I have not used a wick-type Kerosene stove myself, but:

Various kinds of Coleman stoves can be had for cheap or even free. A three burner 426 would suit you well, although even a small two burner 425 would still be comparable to a kitchen range.

They do burn gasoline in a pinch, but run it outside as the fumes are strong with gas.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 10:49:39 PM EDT
For another option, if you have wood, is a rocket stove. They are supposed to be efficient at making sticks into heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Stay Informed On All Things 2A

Sign up and receive updates every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the ARFCOM community, breaking news and legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement.
Top Top