Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2018 2:12:41 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 8wt rod for red fish fish in the Texas coast and steel head up in Oregon.

Trying to stay in the 450 or less price range, but thats not a hard stop.

I tried several rods, ended up really liking the Hardy Demon and the Sage Pulse, with both of these rods I was casting good and able to keep hitting the same spot over and over again.

Hardy Demon $495   I like the light blue color and silver aluminium reel seat and rings that look nicer.    Also a really nice aluminum Tube and cloth bags.

Here is where I have a problem.    England company (not so bad) but made in Korea, that right there is just about a deal killer and my problem with the rod

Sage Pulse $450, For me it casts just as well as the Hardy, but from there is drops down in looks.   Not a fan of the green or the all black rings and rod seat.   Also the Rod tub is a cheaper cloth covered cardboard or plastic tube.  But it's a US company and the rod is made here in the US as well.

Both have a Life time warranty, 75.00 for repair or replacement.

PS I will be trying the TFO BVK and Mangrove today as well.

Comments . . . . .

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I really wish that you could see them in person and play with them a bit but Jim Grandt makes a fine Fly Rod for the price.
Plus he can doll them up for you so they are aesthetically pleasing if the look matters to you, as it does to me lol.

I have fished with a Sage Little One and absolutely loved it but for its price point between the two, the action and feel were pretty damn close IMO. Word is he makes the blanks for a lot of labels.
Grandt Rods are made in the USA and he too has a lifetime warranty that is $39 to cover FedEx shipping. Thought they might be worth a look.

I have had great pleasure owning/using many of his rods, from 2-3wt fly rods all the way up to tarpon rods with just about everything in between.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information but I'm just not going to buy a fly rod I cant try first.

I went out lat night to a different shop with a plan to try the TFO rods.   We grabbed a TFO BVK, Sage Pulse, G Loomis Pro4 and a Sage Accel.   Again I was able to cast the Pulse very well.    The Accel also cast just as well as the Pulse.   Did not like the Pro 4, and the BVK was a close 3rd place.   I could hit most of the time with the BVK, but my loops where a lot larger with the BVK.

The Accel is a $650 rod that has been discontinued and marked down to $375 and its what I ended up getting.

If money was a issue then I could have lived with the BVK.   However as it does not come with a storage tube and they tend to start at $50, the BVK is not much of a saving vs the $375 Accel.

You can read all the reviews you want and watch all the YouTube video's but in the end you just have to cast some rods to find the one YOU like.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I own 2 Sage fly rods & love them. Also, check out Orvis fly rods. In particular, the Recon. They have great customer service & they're made in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own 2 Sage fly rods & love them. Also, check out Orvis fly rods. In particular, the Recon. They have great customer service & they're made in the USA.
View Quote
Thanks, I have a Orvis Recon in a 5wt.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I was looking for a 7 weight rod for smallmouth and the occasional carp, the TFO rods caught my eye.

Narrowed it down to the Mangrove and BVK.

The BVK does have a rep for breaking tips, I have talked to several that have had this happen.

In the end I went with the Mangrove.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top