Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2019 10:44:43 PM EDT
I'm over using topos and downloading maps onto my phone. I'm looking for recommendations on handheld gps to be used primarily for hunting. It would need to have some type of emergency communication system and/or texting capabilities.  I've browsed the Garmin offerings and can't really commit to one , mainly because of lack of knowledge on my end. In reality it would be used in the field between 3-5 weeks per year hunting.  I do trail ride dirtbikes almost every weekend so if it could carry over to that hobby as well it would be a HUGE plus, but not mandatory.  I'm not stuck on any brand in particular but quality comes before price.
Any experience with these?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have:

Delorme Inreach for emergencies.

Garmin 64s with OnX chip.

Kyocera Sapphire Pro with OnX app.

Without a doubt I prefer using the phone. It's so much easier than the Garmin there just isn't even a comparison. I wouldn't trust it unless I had a very durable phone, and the Sapphire Pro is that. Waterproof and after being dropped 100 times I believe pretty indestructible. For use outside of cell phone service you do need to download your area, but they have made it pretty idiot proof. Another advantage of the phone is the ability to take pictures and video.

I always have the phone. Carry the GPS when I feel l need backup. The Delorme when off the beaten path enough to worry about getting out.

The OnX app is $26 a year per state, but I think they have package deals as well. For the money I have only buy it and play around with it. There are other options, but OnX has a really idiot proof deal. Which is good, because I struggle with tech at times.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I'm concerned if it doesn't say Garmin on the outside you're wasting your money with GPS.

If for no other reason than support and community.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the GPSMAP 66i, should be here this week.
Link Posted: 8/19/2019 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Somethingstinksinher:
I ordered the GPSMAP 66i, should be here this week.
View Quote
Very nice. I was going to come back and mention these. They are new for sure and I just heard about them.

From what I understand they take an OnX chip so they really are a great option.

After responding to this thread I got out all my stuff, charged, checked batteries, etc. The phone is so much easier to use, but I just don't have the same level of trust as the 64.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top