Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2020 9:09:37 AM EDT
Heard about these tis summer (maybe heard of them here???)

My hammock use might go down into the high 30s....lower than that, i ain't in the woods at night. :).

Normally use a surplus Army foam pad and a chunk of Reflectix insulation, but i wanted an underquit. The pad system works, but can get damp because it does not breath. Heard about these Simply Light synthetic down underquits, the price is awesome (compared to down ones) so i ordered one.

Last night was predicted to be in the low 40s, so i strung the hammock rig on the porch. The new quilt snaps on my 11' Dutchware hammock with a caribiners on each end. Took ten seconds. The Simply Light i ordered was the Symmetrical version (full coverage). I ordered that, instead of the Asym because i shift in different positions. The Asym is strictly for diagonal sleepers and is less bulky (fake down is not as compressible)

First off, the thing is quality for the money and made here in the States by the SL guy. I don't think i paid more than $130 with tax and shipping. My Sym version is kind of bulky compared to a similarly temp rated down UQ, but I'm not complaining. Especially after last night's trial run.

Layed in this nest last night at 9:30. Top insulation was my homemade fleece overquilt (made it from cheap Walmart fleece throw blankets) and a light 35 degree down bag i use, unzipped, in an overquit fashion. Woke with a cool face, toasty warm body and a full bladder at 5:15. Outdoor temp was 41°.  I don't recall waking once all night. I highly recommend. This thing is a great bang for the buck underquilt.

Here's a pic of the cammo UQ slung under the coyote brown Dutchware hammock.

Attachment Attached File

Sorry for the red hat in the upper left...it was hanging on the hammock's structural ridge line. Everything that is not dull coyote brown is underquit. The blue is my down bag laying in the hammock.

If any of you show more interest in this quilt, I'll set the whole rig up in my woods and post better pics.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Im interested! Post more pics
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Im interested! Post more pics
View Quote

@007

Got a day of carpentering planned on my new deck, but I'll set it up today or tomorrow as time allows. Will shoot more pics.  It's now hammer time!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
@007

Not going to have time later to drag this to a more scenic location for pics. I had to break it down for storage, so i took some shots on the porch.

This is the underquilt hooked to the Dutchware 11'. Not the shock cord pulls it up to envelope the hammock. It only shows on the ends where the whoopies connect for suspension.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, that came out sideways. Don't know why.

Lets try another. Quilt removed and laying on the deck. Nice thin inner shell and insulated cammo part on the outside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Sideways again. Curious, they look normal on the phone.

Pic of hammock (smaller), the quilt in its bag and an Estwing framer for scale. The quilt could be made smaller with a compression bag. It's not down, so it will only compress so much.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks good! I'm a fan of Simply Light.

How much does it weigh?
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks good! I'm a fan of Simply Light.

How much does it weigh?
View Quote

I don't even own a bathroom scale, so I could not answer. About like a cheap fiberfill bed pillow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top