Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Tent camping is for suckers.
View Quote
I 100% agree. Ive been hammock camping around 200 times over the last 10 years. I absolutly love it. wayy better than tent camping. the only time a tent will beat a hammock is if you have been drinking. the tent wont swing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to drink enough to get 180° out of phase with your hammock swing and the room will stop spinning.    
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Home Depot has 4’ of 1/2” aluminum tube for $10 so I grabbed a stick to make my toggles. Deburred them by running em down with a step bit and a file. This should really be the only piece of hardware in my setup.

I also picked up this insulation for $20 to see if I can do anything with it. I know for a fact my first night in the hammock is going to get down to about 28 degrees. I’m hoping to layer this in between a couple wool moving pads to lay on.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#4]
We’ve got a small weather system coming in with some good rain and heavy winds. I set up the new tarp in the backyard to see how it holds up.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't slept in my hammock in a month. I'm going to change that this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:28:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was attracted to hammocks as a lighter, less expensive way to backpack.

Boy, was I wrong.

... but now I am getting the most comfortable sleep ever, and while I need to finding a couple of trees (not hard in the Northeast) I don't have to worry about finding suitable tent space.
View Quote
For me it boils down to comfort and flexibility. In addition to getting a great nights' rest, I've done so in plenty of areas where a tent either would've sucked or been impractical/impossible.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Spent my first night in the hammock last night. I had it set up off my ladder rack in the bed of my truck and the adjustable whoopie sling came in handy over a rigid line. The height restriction didnt allow for the proper 83% RL, I had to have the hammock stretched out further to sag less, so that my ass didn't contact the bed of the truck.

It got down under 30 degrees and snowed. I made a makeshift underquilt with an old comforter we had. I just cinched the corners of the quilt and ran a line up to my suspension tie offs. Between that, my sleeping bag and an overquilt, I was incredibly warm and comfortable.

I didnt get a great night sleep but I honestly dont attribute that in any way to the hammock. On the contrary, Id attribute any sleep I DID get to being so damn comfortable in it I couldnt help but fall asleep. I was in a very vulnerable location (I was bound to that spot, long story I can explain if anyone cares) and thats why I had a hard time sleeping.

I'm officially an advocate and am not going to hesitate to spend some money on quality gear when the opportunities arise.

Thanks for all the insight you guys have shared and questions you've answered!
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 12:30:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you made the most out of a less than ideal situation. I for one wouldnt mind hearing the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a HUGE private lake/reservoir a quarter mile from my house. It is over a mile long and there are only 8 or so houses on it. The houses are allowed access but there is no public launching or kayaking etc. The water company that owns/maintains it allows 40 small boats on it each year. The catch is the boats have to be stored on a rack (out of the water) and left there for the season (April-October) to prevent cross contamination from other lakes and ponds. You also have to use the boat twice per month or you lose your slip to someone on the waitlist.

They hold the sign up the second Saturday of April every year at 9am in a commuter lot right off I-84 about 15 minutes east of Hartford. I got there on Friday morning at 8am and I was the 22nd person in line. Two people actually even stayed over Thursday night. It’s worth it, the lake is immaculate, the fishing is incredible and there is a family of bald eagles nested on it that often put on a show. I’ve not seen anything like it, most times you go out you’re the only person on the lake. It’s incredible.

Well my shelter is a tarp draped over the ladder rack on my truck, and all of us are in plain sight of the highway, right next to it. I “button” the tarp up so you can’t see in the bed when it comes time to sleep but still, there is a tarp between me and the outside, while I’m suspended in a hammock wrapped up in a mummy bag. So that’s what I mean by vulnerable, it doesn’t get much more vulnerable in my opinion. Between the highway sound drowning out most noise outside and the wind blowing the tarp, it’d be just about impossible to tell if someone was breaking into my shelter.

The only peace of mind is I’m in a line of 40 cars of good guys sleeping in their cars or trucks/vans. There was a new set of young guys who were also setting hammocks up in their truck, which was very cool. They were jealous of my set up and they about froze without any type of underquilt. They had to run a propane heater all night.

I tucked my S&W M&P (in its holster) in my left armpit inside the mummy bag for self defense.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw these guys in an ad on Facebook offering a "free hammock" (just pay shipping!)

https://www.foxoutfitters.com/neolite-double-hammock/

Anyone ever used their stuff? Is the quality worth a crap? What are some good quality hammock brands for someone new to hammocking? Is ENO pretty well regarded?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC last week when they were on sale. I have a few friends who can not stop going on about them.  We go on a few SXS Overland trips where I will use this the most. So space is of more concern than weight at that point. Looking forward to getting and trying out.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Saw these guys in an ad on Facebook offering a "free hammock" (just pay shipping!)

Anyone ever used their stuff? Is the quality worth a crap? What are some good quality hammock brands for someone new to hammocking? Is ENO pretty well regarded?
View Quote
I have two of their hammocks can't remember how I got them.  They work fine for me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I just switched (kinda, it's staying in my gear bins) from a WBBB to a Sheltowee Boone. The integrated UQ is nice, but is heavier and bulkier. I do like the non-zip bug net topper, but I'm ditching the OEM strap and buckle setup as soon as my Dutchware order gets here.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those kinds of hammocks all over amazon in the $20 range. Look at Dutchware gear.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
What's in the box ...

how much are you going to weight me down ?

For decades I've been a lowly outdoor ground sleeper
over the past 2 years I've seen the light.
With an underquilt I may be all in

Quick basement hang - Dutchware 11' netless

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
For some  reasom I cant get the link to work.
On massdrop they have warbonnet blackbird for $129.
I didnt know if anyone is looking, just thought I would post it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I slept in my hammock last weekend during Field Day. Slept straight through Friday night without moving a muscle. Saturday I only woke up once to pee. Low 50's was perfect hammock weather. Sleeping on the ground is for suckers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I slept in my hammock last weekend during Field Day. Slept straight through Friday night without moving a muscle. Saturday I only woke up once to pee. Low 50's was perfect hammock weather. Sleeping on the ground is for suckers.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/316011/2018-06-24_10-589590.JPG
View Quote
What is that frame you are hanging from?
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What is that frame you are hanging from?
View Quote
I'm not sure. I found it, so I hung on it. There is some homemade wooden tombstones just behind and to the right of it. There's also lights strung up in the tree's and stuff. Sorta weird. It's out in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure what in the heck is going on out there.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I hang the exped scout combi love the pad sleeve slept in it while elk hunting in fall with z pad.I was comfortable but if temperature took i dive i think it would have been chilly. Also need a wider pad i woke up to cold spot where the pad did not cover. I bought under quilt better way to go however bulkier.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Slept in my ENO singlenest this weekend. Low 60’s, no underquilt. Poncho liner kept me warm. It rained last night but not on me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
This past week was miserable for me as my buddies and I were backpacking the High Unitas Mountains in UT. Unfortunately, the pine beetles have done incredible damage and there are far more dead trees than live ones. As a precaution, I borrowed a tent. As much as I hate to admit it, it was the right call since I found very few hanging options where I wouldn't be hanging from a dead tree or in close proximity.

The tent was really just a bivy and way too small for me. I had to lay on the ground and roll into it. Talk about a PITA. It rained our second day in and it leaked like a sieve. It sucked knowing that I was getting rained on in the tent and there was nothing I could do. I was using my down top quilt which quickly was soaked. Hell, everything was soaked. Fortunately, the sun was hot and the humidity was almost non-existent so things dried out pretty quickly. I suffered through the week with very little sleep. Finally, on the last night, I found an area with only live trees and I was able to put the hammock up. It was my best nights' rest! I slept better and more comfortably than any other night. I also slept more cozy. I didn't want to drag my but out of the hammock to make the hike out.

Oh how this week made me love my hammocks even more.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File
Once again I slept in my hammock last night in the snow and forgot to take pictures of my hammock.

Anyway, I didn't take a few pictures driving up there and of the lake that I camped next to.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Nice pics, ScooterInVegas!  I bet that was some peaceful sleeping weather!  I can hear the silence.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nice pics, ScooterInVegas!  I bet that was some peaceful sleeping weather!  I can hear the silence.  
View Quote
It was pretty quiet up there, the snow storm moved in and ran most of the people off the mountain. The snow is pretty wet so once in awhile a big Clump would fall off the tree and hit my rain fly and wake me up. I woke up a little bit hot a couple of times and had to air out my top quilt. Other than those couple of instances I slept pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Dutch is running specials each week in November to
avoid getting swamped on Black Friday.

I ordered a half zipped at 20% off on Tuesday and had it by Saturday.
This week he has chameleon bodies 25% off - I'm trying to resist
His standard 11 ft netless is going for $35

Dutchware chameleon
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Damnit. I need another hammock like I need a whole in the head but that Chameleon looks great. Very similar in functionality to my Dream Hammock Thunderbird which seems to be discontinued now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#28]
While I forgot to take a picture this time, Took the Boyscout out last weekend. Four of us hung in 18 degrees. Everyone did fine. 2 ENO's, 1 Grand trunk, and a WB ridge runner. Interesting when spilled coffee water turns to ice in a few minutes.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I did a boy scout outting last weekend as well.  Only got down to 21.  I was just fine with my hammock gear underquilt.  My contacts froze in their container.  Wasnt my coldest hammock night but I can't control the weather.
I've done 4 of the last 6 weekends hammock camping with the scouts.  Ranges from 85 degrees to 21. ,
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Can you bang the wife in one of those?
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Hammock: Hennessy Ultralight
Fly: Warbonnet Superfly
Top: UGQ bandit 20*
Under: Hammock Gear incubator 20*

It was 34* low last night and I was toasty in my hammock. Rained pretty hard 2 weeks ago, and I was bone dry. It works well, and it's comfy; but I think for much lower temps, I'm sticking with my tent for my dog's sake.

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#32]
When you want to hang, but there are no trees...

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a trip coming up to the backwoods of Maine, way up basically at the Canadian border. Temps could easily get down to 0 or below. Its going to be a week long ice fishing and snowmobiling session, with some shooting sprinkled in. To say I'm excited for it is an understatement.

If a hammock doesn't work out I can jump in the cabin with the woodstove and a cot, but I'm really excited about the challenge of making the hammock work. The small hunting cabin will have 6 other un-showered guys in it.

Camp/cabin is about three miles from where the trucks will be parked. Any gear/food is getting towed in on the snowmobiles. No electricity or running water.

I need suggestions for an underquilt.  Does anybody have experience with the Snugpak cocoon? I like the idea that it wraps entirely around and completely envelops you.

I've spent a night down to 20 degrees with just my mummy bag, an over quilt, and an underquilt I rigged up which was actually just a cheap shitty old regular twin size bed quilt and I was toasty as hell. So I'm fairly certain I can make this work with an actual quality underquilt. I'm genuinely more concerned about heavy snowfall wreaking havoc on my tarp than I am of the cold.

Any tips or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Snip

I need suggestions for an underquilt.  Does anybody have experience with the Snugpak cocoon? I like the idea that it wraps entirely around and completely envelops you.

Any tips or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.
View Quote
Maybe HammockGear zero deg under quilt with a few extra ounces of down. I have a 0deg wookie from warbonnet than has been very warm down just below 10deg. Warbonnet also has a -20deg wookie too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thats brilliant, how'd it work out?
View Quote
Really good, very sturdy. This was at a BSA winter camporee and there wasn’t a patch of snow. The original plan was to dig snow caves.

This was my son’s set up. Later I added a third tripod and hung with him.
With a third ridge pole it would’ve accommodated a third hammock as well.

The owners of the property were impressed. Said it was the most “Boy Scoutish” thing they’d seen at the event. (Is that a word?)

Obviously it’s a bit heavy, but when you’re already pulling a trailer full of gear for 15 boys, a few extra poles didn’t matter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I got a HG Phoenix on the way, just a 40degree UQ 3/4 with 2oz overfill

Looking at OQs I might go with the HG Burrow also.

My hammock is a Warbonnet Blackbird (double layer) and a Grand Trunk Abrigo Rain Fly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Spent a night in the hammock down to 20degrees with some snow that turned into freezing rain. Everything held up well for the most part. My only lesson learned was I need to order a larger tarp, which I did and should arrive Tuesday. (going from 10'x10' to 12'x12')

For anyone who has been keeping up, this is mostly cheap-ish gear. I used my $15 TD hammock, a OneTigris underquilt in conjunction with a Snugpak Cocoon, a Coleman 20 degree sleeping bag, and covered with a $30 Chill Gorilla tarp.

I was actually hot all night so I think I'll be good for much lower temps.

The 10' tarp barely makes it to each end of my hammock so snow was able to blow in and build up slightly on top of my cocoon. I am a huge fan of the cocoon, though. I didn't know snow was getting in until I woke up. I had my boots on the ground in the center and there was snow in them, so that sucked. Luckily I was home and not on my trip up north.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I like these NiteIze small figure 9s for my fly guy lines. I was concerned they would loosen up the first couple times I used them but it hasnt happened yet. I guess if its freezing out and you dont want to worry about them giving out, just pour some water on them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Underside of tree strap vs topside (iced).

The carabiner posted above was exposed outside of the tarp which explains the ice buildup there.

The carabiner posted below is bone dry. I've been experimenting with drip lines and I think I've found my best solution. I just weave the tree strap in and out of itself a couple times and it seems to work amazingly, as you can see from the build up and icicles in the third and fourth pic down in this post. Not a drop made it to the carabiner or hammock lines.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Ordered another 200 in gear...  up to 700 I think....
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ordered another 200 in gear... up to 700 I think....
View Quote
Sooooo.....whata got coming??
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sooooo.....whata got coming??  
View Quote
Tarp sleeve, dutchware stuff (continuous ridge line and other hardwares, 2qzq uqp.

dutch is easy to spend money fast at for his easy set up for stuff
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Attachment Attached File

One of my orders, lol.

looking for a new tarp, I want something with some size to be able to have a little privacy in group camps.

what y'all recommend?
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/49684/070F739A-0CFC-4632-B1BD-354A38DDE022_jpeg-834115.JPG

One of my orders, lol.

looking for a new tarp, I want something with some size to be able to have a little privacy in group camps.

what y'all recommend?
View Quote
Let me know what you think of those hookworms. I’ve been debating myself about them for like two months. As far as size/weight and price they seem like the best thing ever. They seem too good to be true and I’m not a huge fan of shock cord in freezing weather.

I have one of his wasps and I think it’s awesome. I want the fleas I think for my tieouts to replace my Niteize figure 9s.

ETA: I just got a WarBonnet Superfly for a new tarp. I’m super impressed upon initial review but I’ve yet to field it. Coming soon, though. I have been using some cheap chill gorilla regular rectangle tarps and got tired of fucking around with them trying to make the most of my money. I have a big trip coming up and just said fuck it, I’m gonna get the Superfly and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/5/2019 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Let me know what you think of those hookworms.
View Quote
The hookworms are great but can be difficult to manipulate with gloves on if it's real cold. The fleaz do the same thing using basically a wrap rather than twisting a small loop to slip over the hookworm. I have both but if doing it again I would've just bought fleaz for everything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2019 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#46]
The Dutchware stuff looks to be handy.

I have a triangle style tarp at the moment, if I get a new tarp I will have to get more worms.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#47]
So my load out:

Warbonnet BB
Warbonnet Mountainfly Rain Fly
Gregory Savant 58 backpack
HG Phoenix and Burrow (40degree with 2oz overfill)
2qzq under quilt protector
Dutchware Continous Ridgeline with hardware.
walmart trekking poles
Ozark cook set with alcohol stove

I think I want a different Rain Fly next
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#48]
New Tarp ordered

Attachment Attached File

so now to order more Dutchware for the tie outs
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

And I'm finished with the hammock.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Deal alert
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top